R1E partitions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by lakytus, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakytus

lakytus Pen Pal - Newbie

My R1E has a 89 gig partition with Vista and everthing installed on it. Then there is another 51 gig partition that is empty, except it has about 91 MB used by something, but there's no files on it. Can I just combine the 2 partitions with a new Vista install? Also I'm not sure where the remaining 20 gigs went since it's a 160 gig harddrive. Anyone know where they went?

There's also ripples on some areas of the screen when I'm writing, and other areas have none. Is this normal?

2. Diplom@t

Diplom@t Pen Pal - Newbie

About your 20Gigs - its normal. 160GB hard drive doesnt meant to have 160GB of space. It's normal for all the HDDs to have alittle bit snaller size than it was written. for example on my 500Gb HDD on desctop computer i have only 465GB available

3. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

About the missing 20GB, it could be what Diplom@t says. The reason for this is, that the people who write the advertisements say 1000 bytes = 1KB, 1000KB = 1 MB ect., whereas your computer things 1024 bytes = 1KB, 1024 KB = 1MB. Although to me 20GB sounds too much to go missing in this wa.

Other thing I can think of is that ASUS quite often has a "system restore" partition (better word for it, can't think of it). So if vista gets corrupted, you get reformat from that partition

4. xero0123

xero0123 Pen Pal - Newbie

It is probably the recovery partition. When installing a normal copy of vista, you can delete it and repartition the drive to include the entire space, but I'm not sure how it would work if you were trying to reinstall off the included software.

5. Dayanim

Dayanim Pen Pal - Newbie

HDs are kinda similar to CPUs. When they make them they are all slightly different. Some have abit more room some abit less, but they are all around that number they state (ie 500gig). All of my HDs are abit under, it seems the larger the harddrive the larger the amount lost (but percentage wise its similar)

6. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Read my post earlier on - it explains why hard drives have less room then stated :)

7. kritzler

kritzler Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

The "Volume Shadow Copy Service" also stores some GB. This can be up to 15% of the partition on wich vista is installed (on my system - a clear vista installation with no software on it until now or any data - it is at the time 6gb!!). The more you have installed or stored and the bigger your partition is, the bigger your Shadow Copy is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.