R1E!!! In stock!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by lionfish42, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a better graphics chip, and the R1E also has draft-n wireless.

So am I - I know I'm going to buy this machine, but I've promised myself to wait a week to compare deals and what not

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After being a super early adopter for the R1F, I would suggest that you all let other eager beavers check out things like battery life, static, pen scratches, etc.

3. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Amen, alphaswift. Aside from the battery problems, the R1F, to me at least, was the king of 'little problems'

...scratches on the pen silo, a screen that would never wake up from standby or hibernate on the first try, and that tremendously annoying headphone static issue. It's little things like these that amount to tiny frustrations everyday that you would rather live without when paying over $1500 for a machine.

I'm thrilled you all are excited about the R1E, because aside from all the R1F's little flaws (and that terrible battery problem) it's a great machine. I'm just skeptical about whether or not they've actually fixed the battery life issue on the primary batteries since they're now offering the modular bay battery as a standard instead of an option.

I told myself I would never buy another Asus tablet again because of the problems I had with mine, but I'll probably still keep my eyes on this one just out of curiosity. I'm in no way trying to detract buyers from the R1E, just remember that sometimes it takes more than two attempts to work out every kink in a system.

For those of you that are purchasing in the new future, good luck with your purchases and I hope they treat you well.

4. Moshe

Moshe Pen Pal - Newbie

I've already ordered mine - I've been in need of a portable laptop for a while now, and I was considering the Fujitsu S7110 - the 14.1" standard and 4.5lbs was very tempting (especially for writing papers.)

But the R1E tablet offers a smaller form factor, 1/4 lb. lighter, and it will replace my paper notebooks for school (I'm a newbie, so I need encouragement - my understanding is that Vista and OneNote should work nicely.)

Plus - it's Portable One! Ivan is one of the most patient and helpful people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with! (and I'm one of those annoying customers with a million questions)

Good luck to all and thanks to those who've given me advice.

5. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

Woohoo, and the first canary is away! *grin*

I'm still skeptical too, but not for that reason. After all, even if the battery doesn't have problems, it still doesn't have a particularly long life. I can see Portable One and other vendors recognizing that.

6. chinesefireball121

Anyone slighly suspicious that ASUS hasn't announced anything yet?

7. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Suspicious of what? No announcement? I'm kind of surprised but not suspicious.

The R1E support files have been posted for a long while now and the Asus website is not going to win any awards for 'state-of-the-art'-ness ( or much else for that matter )

Asus seems to have multiple personality disorder:
    1) Good tech, bad marketing.
    2) The box that the Asus comes in is first class, the static from headphones making it through QA is completely incompetent.
    3) Criminal customer service in the UK, outstanding service in Canada.

Just completely weird.

8. chinesefireball121

Well suspicous of proportable. Yes I have seen that they have a high reputation, but unless they have a special deal with ASUS, I would have thought to see more people selling them now.

Oh well, we'll see what happens with Moshe, and I'll work out what I'm doing next week

9. lionfish42

lionfish42 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am making my R1E purchase today from PortableOne. I have bought from them in the past and the customer service is stellar.
    Additionally, they are an authorise ASUS dealer and build their own laptops on the ASUS platform.

When I called and spoke with Patrick, he said that there was delays in the R1E - and they had just got them in.

However, ASUS never has done much marketing to the consumer market - because they are traditionally a B-to-B company (selling MoBos and such) so I don't expect to see anything.

Additionally, the R1E is not NEW - it's just an updated R1.The R1F never had huge marketing.

If ASUS could get their act together with some marketing here in the US, I think they could give other Laptop manufactures a huge run for their money.

However, I think they have a cash cow by selling MoBos and internals on a B-to-B relationship (which requires little marketing) - so creating a marketing budget for the consumer level (which is a ton of mula) is probably something they are not interested in doing.

10. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

It sounds, actually, like they won't have them until mid next week. I was inquiring whether I could get mine in person because I live about an hour and a half away (and they have Saturday hours), and Ivan told me that wouldn't be doable till middle of next week.

Not sure if the original estimate from Patrick was due to confusion/misinformation, or they were figuring it was "close enough", but perhaps they don't have it that much sooner than others.

Anyhow, ordered one as well. I'm feeling hasty and reckless. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.