R1E!!! In stock!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by lionfish42, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionfish42

lionfish42 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well - it's also a good place to hide your "stash".

2. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure you can....WoW is pretty lightweight, and I've heard folks on these boards say they can play it with tablet pcs with less oomph than the R1E.

I'm curious about Oblivion myself. I was playing it before on a pretty low-end graphics card, so...who knows?

3. lionfish42

I am mostly a wargame player (ala Matrix Games, but my wife got me World of Warcraft - and now I have a problem :eek:

See has also gotten into it.

However, I have only used my ultra portable for work (spreadsheets, word, applications, web, email) and never loaded a game.
    But I thought - Hey if I could play a game on it, why not?

It's nice to hear teh World of Warcraft would work. I am sure some of the other wargames that I play would as well - they are not heavy graphic dependant.

I will make a decision by Friday - either R1E or W7S - but I am leaning towards the R1E more and more.....

My 3yr old broke my Fujitsu P7010D last weekend (his foot caught on the power cord and pulled it off the table onto a tile floor - CRASH). The key board works but the front is totally SMASHED - the touch pad and buttons are smashed and I can't open the DVD drive. But amazingly it works - use a USB mouse now.

I am heading off on a trip - so I need a replacement soon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is very exciting :). And especially when I was just informed that the aussie dollar is something like 90c to a US dollar at the moment. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if there are other resellers around, find the best deal and buy. I know laptopAuthority stocks tablets - is there anyone else? (I know about MilestonePC, but they are AWOL at the moment). Cheers :)

5. desdamon

desdamon Scribbler - Standard Member

WOOT

so the canadian dollar is worth more then the american . . . i like the sound of this . . . so the company previously mentioned in this thread . . . whats the down-low on it.

is it a decent computer company?

6. jerelyn

From the look of things at reseller ratings, they are one of the best companies on the internet for any product:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Portable_One_Inc

I rarely see that much positive feedback at RR.

7. desdamon

desdamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I like what I've read already . . . I think I'll snoop around their website a little bit more. I would prefer to have my computer purchased from somewhere that I could walk into . . . but they seem to have alot of happy customer reviews.

I am not sure if I want to be one of the first people to get this tablet or if I should wait till a few people test it out and give it a review. I really don't want to get shafted on the first tablet/laptop I purchase.

On a side note . . . "Comes with Modular Bay Battery for all day battery life" . . . do you think they are offering the Modular battery with the tablet to sway everyone who knows the R1F had major battery issues?

8. lionfish42

I have purchased from Portable One in the past. Great experience, Fast Shipping, Great Customer Support. They ALWAYS answer the phone and respond to emails. They do have some large corprate contracts - which to me indicates they are not just the norm internet shop. Additionaly they also designed their own laptops based on the ASUS platform. Check them out - they are a little more customizeable (Processor, Mem, etc.)

To address the "Comes with Modular Bay Battery for all day battery life" I sent an email to Portable One (IVAN)...this was the response.

------------------

So you can have two batteries in machine for long battery run time.

Ivan Gospich
    Portable One Inc ®
    282 Digital Drive
    Morgan Hill, CA 95037 USA
    408-776-3003
    Fax 408-776-3005
    Ivan@portableone.com
    Keeping you mobile...™

----------------------

IVAN is very fast to respond and will bend over backwards to help his customers. I will be returning to purchase my next laptop (probably this week)from Portable One.

Note: I had a problem with the previous laptop that I order from them. It was missing a CD from the manufacture. After I called, they said no problem and FEDEXed one to me the next day (no charge). I realize that not all orders and products are perfect, that's when customer service shines - and I can RELY on PortableOne to address my problems (if they are to arise).

You can always look for the best price, but for me a little premium to have great customer service is always worth it.

You are not just buying a laptop you are also buying customer service.

9. Bakunin

Bakunin Pen Pal - Newbie

$1899 R1E vs. $1748 R1F (newegg)

for a $150 more you get:
    2.4Ghz > 2.0Ghz
    800Mhz >667 Mhz
    160GB > 120GB
    Santa-rosa arch.
    Plus Extra modular batery!!!

Just the battery would be enought to make it worth it, am i not right? Isnt the gfx chip better as well? And also probably the batt. prob sorted out...

Is there anything else i am missing, seems like the extra $150 is well worth it... too bad about the e-sata tho (couldnt that be added later with a express card ?)

I am itching...

10. jerelyn

Yeah...I'd say it's a pretty good price. really surprising that even on portableone.com the R1F is only $100 cheaper. o_O But I'm not complaining!

I think you are right. Unfortunately I have other plans for that ExpressCard slot (ASUS XG Station where aaaaare yoouuuuu?!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.