R1E/F reliability/quality issues

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Apr 10, 2008.

?

Did you have / are you having serious issues with your R1E or R1F ?

1. No, my R1 works fine

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Yes, I have (had) problems with my mouse pointer stuck in the corner

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Yes, I have (had) problems with my system dying (eg hard disk)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Yes, I have (had) other serious issues with my R1

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm seeing the same sort of wear you guys are on the corners of the screen and tablet. Also seeing the same kind of wear in a semi circle around the screen pivot and some random marks on the top of the lid. These are fairly minor cosmetic blemishes.

The main issues are the fingerprint reader, the touchpad, and the main battery. The fingerprint reader has never worked right and one of the panels fell off within 5 days of getting it. The touchpad has also always had problems and frequently the cursor gets stuck on some invisible vertical axis. This isnt as big a problem since I have disabled it and usually use the pen anyway. The battery wear (72% wear on my second battery) has been well documented and probably doesnt need any explaining since I'm sure most people have experienced it. It is odd though because my modular battery has no wear at all.

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Recently I have had an issue (?) with the fan running a lot more and NHC alerts for hot HD or CPU. I'm thinking of seeing if any of the local computer shops can get me an upgrade on my cooling system . . .

3. APaul

APaul Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my R1F less than a year. I started to notice sudden crashes of the system recently, and I suspect that they are caused by heat. For example, playing Google Earth for about 10 minutes can cause a sudden crash of the system, and the body of the machine is hot and the fan is noisy before the crash. I don't know whether other laptops running Core 2 Duo CPUs have the same problem or not. But certainly the way I used the machine cannot be seen as abuse. It is very annoying when one has to worry whether the system will crash or not during the normal use. Any comments?

Paul.

4. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

I've never had any problems with heat or fan noise on my R1F. You may want to check/clean the vents to make sure they arent clogged up with dust and stuff.

5. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the poll should differentiate between the F and E versions to see if any noticeable improvement has shown up. Most of the comments seem to be with the F version.

6. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

I have had my R1F since December 2006 ish and there have been problems with it but the one that bugs me the most is the fact that my hinge is very lose compared to when I first got it. I understand that mechanical systems tend to do this but it is really annoying.

I am currently doing a build on the lenovo X61 for my job at my university and I must say the construction seems a lot better. You can also even hit the rotate button on the log in screen and it will rotate (small gripe).

7. Dayanim

Dayanim Pen Pal - Newbie

Had the mouse pointer issue, returned it three times, replaced the screen/digitiser twice and picked up scratching/broken screen casing from them a few times. Pretty angry at this point.

They wont offer me a refund (have to go through the reseller even though its a manufacturing/design flaw).

8. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any chance this is Asus UK with their stellar (sarcasm) customer support?