R1E/F reliability/quality issues

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Apr 10, 2008.

?

Did you have / are you having serious issues with your R1E or R1F ?

1. No, my R1 works fine

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Yes, I have (had) problems with my mouse pointer stuck in the corner

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Yes, I have (had) problems with my system dying (eg hard disk)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Yes, I have (had) other serious issues with my R1

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binzelli

Binzelli Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been reading about and experiencing first hand some serious reliability issues with both the R1F and R1E.

I am wondering how big this problem is amongst active R1 users.

I would like to know if any of you are experiencing serious hard/software issues, like the mouse pointer issue or R1's dying suddenly.

Please only comment on serious hard/software issues, not likes or dislikes or things like missing functionality.

2. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

In regards to this thread title, my problem definitely falls in the 'quality issues' category.

I know you stressed serious issues, which is why I didn't cast my vote for the problem I'm about to explain. Even though it isn't a hardware related problem, I still find it to be a huge annoyance.

My R1F experiences some of the worst case wear I've ever seen in a notebook/tablet or any other portable device. For the most part my R1F never leaves my desk, but I've started to notice significant paint damage along the bottom of the screen (it's like the black plastic along the bottom of the screen is rubbing the area just above the keyboard every time I close it), all along the perimeter of the notebook where the screen plastic meets the base. I've also experienced numerous chips all along the bottom of the notebook, even though it's hardly ever transported anywhere.

I know this is more of a gripe than anything, but I've had my R1F for a little over a year and it's showing more cosmetic wear than laptops my friends have had for more than two years. I would shrug this off if I was moving it around a lot, but I'm not, so I have to chalk it up to a cheaper paint/build quality, I guess.

Anyway, I know this is more of a rant than anything, but I thought I would draw your attention to it since it doesn't seem to appear much (if at all) on these forums.

3. Edge

Edge Artisigner

Well, I have had my R1F for not even a year, but I have encountered a lot of the problems that it has; with the mouse pointer stuck in a corner and moving in opposite directions with the pen.

I have also been noticing scratches and wear at the bottom, which I have no idea how it got there as I have always had it on my desk.

One other thing is, when I am drawing on the screen while in landscape, I feel a sharp sting occasionally whenever my hand touches where the buttons and lights are along the bottom. When I purposely put my hand there, I don't feel the sting, so I don't think it's because of the heat, but a possible electrical leak?

But to be fair, aside from all the problems, it's pretty reliable overall and the best thing I've ever owned... after it died on me...

4. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using mine for well over a year and I've been transporting it nearly daily (Uni mostly) and I have some case wear. But just on the two corners closest to me (a few scratches). Otherwise it still looks perfectly fine. Even after a friend of mine dropped half a cup of coffee over my keyboard... It actually is spillproof, in case you were wondering :D

5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My optical drive was DOA, I've had batteries replaced, but the thing that bugs me the most are surface scratches on my case lid.

6. BornLoser

I know, man..how does that happen? I don't take the laptop anywhere and there are still several scratches. Have you gotten any of the weird scuffs on the inside of the laptop around the keyboard as well? It's like the plastic housing on the monitor doesn't fit properly and it keeps rubbing when you open and close it.

I've got my digital camera on hand, if anyone is interested in seeing what I'm talking about, I can take some pictures. I'm just curious if the damage is related to a defect that Asus may cover under warranty...

7. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do have minor scuffs around the keyboard but it's far worse in the lower left and right corners where you rest your wrists.

Maybe it's all my dry scaley skin. :)

8. BornLoser

Took some pics of the R1F today. Perhaps you all can see the wear I'm talking about. Ignore the flaws on the screen, they're all just dust.

The wear is pretty obvious here. You can see it particularly around the outer edge of the keyboard and at the bottom of the screen. It doesn't affect the machine at all, of course, it just means I will have to sell at a lower price point when the time comes :(.

[​IMG]

9. Sawyer[R1e]

Sawyer[R1e] Pen Pal - Newbie

the badest r1e..cuz with put low the brightness the issue ain't disappears .. i sended my tablet to the asus assistance and i asked to em to replace the monitor and pen sensor , hoping that the problem can be fixed lowing the brightness or it's fixed without putting down the bright..so sad

10. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

The rubber pads that are located in the corners of the screen are deficient - you can tell just by touching them that they are too far back in their holes to be effective - Just lock on new rubber pads to do the trick - I have a slight amount of wear in just one month of use - and I can tell its only going to get worse unless I do something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.