R1E Auto shuts off

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jack the R, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tycoon18

tycoon18 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I have this strange problem that only started 1 week ago (after i formatted my laptop) The fan goes at very high speed for 3 seconds and the laptop shuts off. First I thought its maybe due to overheating but then I found out its not. For example. I just turned on my laptop in the morning it was all cold and just before entering windows the fan went high and it shut off then I started again and it started normally. I also noticed if i put my laptop on standby for few hours and then resume then same happens. It never shuts off while im working on it atleast not till now but sometimes if i just close the lid and leave it on then it shuts off(rarely) after like around an hour. I dont know if it is a software problem or a hardware because it was working fine until I formatted my computer. And this problem happens rarely maybe like once a day or once in 2 days. Any Ideas on what I should do? Thanks.

2. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there.
    Have you tried starting the laptop in Safe Mode? Could be spyware, adware and/or virus that is causing the problem. try running the laptop in Safe Mode and run a couple of programs against these. How did you perform the formatting of the hdd?

3. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

update the Bios to latest version or reinstall the Bios using asus flash Bios will solve this problem .

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It sounds like it's overheating or thinks it's overheating. I had an overheating problem a few years back on a previous laptop, The vents on that laptop were a bit clogged so I used a can of air on it seemed to solve the problem.

5. tycoon18

Since the last time it happened I resetted the bios to default settings and up till now it hasent happened but ill see a few more days to make sure the problem is gone.

6. ivang

ivang Pen Pal - Newbie

Check memory modules and re-seat them any sort of memory error and/or loose connection with the modules can cause such too.

7. tycoon18

I think its fixed now hasn't happened since 3 days.

8. Fabrice

Fabrice Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I have the very same problem. Did you reset the bios to user default settings or manufacturer settings ? Is your laptop still ok since then?

Thank you

Fabrice

9. Fabrice

Fabrice Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed that it often happens when the laptop is "cold", I mean when I haven't used it for a few hours.

10. tycoon18

Hi,

Unfortunately I thought by resetting the bios it was fixed because it did not happen for next 3-4 days. But i was wrong the problem is still there. And yes you are right it happens when the laptop is cold like whole night its off and I turn on in the morning and it would happen once, then If i start it again it starts normally. Also happens if i leave it on standby for few hours again that leads to laptop becomes cold again. But before it used to happen a lot but now it only happens like once a day or once in two, three days. I want to send to asus for repair but i really dont know what to tell them. Because its rare doesnt happen always and other than that the laptop works fine never shuts off while using, so if i send to them they would use it normally and nothing would happen. If you find a solution please let me know as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.