R10 a few Questions

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by poetdante, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sironmon

sironmon Pen Pal - Newbie

First off, Thank you for all of the great reviews and post. This site has been a big factor in helping me narrow down my search for a tablet.

I am looking for a tablet that I can use in class to take notes as well as program and write papers on. My plan is to buy this and make it my main computer and turn my current K7 system into a PVR box of some sort.

I have pretty much decided on the R10, because I like the 14" screen and all of the rest of the features from your review and from going up to best buy and playing with the R15. I want to get the custom R10 with the 2.0gig proc and a couple of other options that the R15 does not allow.

My questions are:
    What are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty? Basically, do you think they are gonna cover it when I drop my bookbag down a couple sets of stairs with the tablet in it?
    Also I would like to immediately go to atleast a gig of ram if not 2gigs. The price of ram is much cheaper through say crucial.com than getting the upgrade from toshiba direct, plus they do not offer sticks of 1gig. Do you think that just getting the cheapest 256 package and then ordering off of crucial.com is a good idea?

-Thanks

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The basic warranty does not cover accidental damage, they have a special warranty for that, which I honestly think is a waste. You can do better by getting the base warranty and going to your insurance company for anything more.

For the customization, I'd caution against the 2GHz CPU. You pay a premium for it and you won't see much performance gain. Same thing with RAM, more than 1GB is probably a waste, unless you really need this for the apps you plan to run. Crucial is a great place to buy from.

3. apeezee

apeezee Pen Pal - Newbie

I also agree that 1g of ram would be the best choice, i got an r15, which has 512 standard, and ijust order another 512 stick the other night. Ill be posting what i think of the difference. But so far the r15 is great. It has the 1.6ghz cpu and seems to work fine for what i want it to do, which is school stuff. I got mine at compusa and i did get the warranty that they offer, which i thought was a good deal, they cover the replacement of the screen twice, even if accidental, will give you new batteries whenever you need them, and its for something like 2 years or so, so i went for it, just in case. I couldn't imagine dropping it and being screwed, tablet pc screen's are not cheap to replace and my buddy had to replace his regular laptop screen last year after someone else dropped his bag down a flight of stairs when he wasn't there, that cost him 500 alone, and he put it in himself, no fun.

Edit: Got the ram today, popped it in, very easy install and things open MUCH faster, good idea on my part :)

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let us just say that I have an R15 and it is great. The only issue I had with it (that were not my fault) was the RAM issue. 512 is enough to run things preinstalled on it plus office. But just standing still doing nothing usef up 70% of the ram. I bought another gig and it is the other way around. I now have 70+% free. So it really depends on what you need. Like you, I bought a tablet pc to write on and take notes. And the r15 also allowed be to type my last minute papers on it. It works for me at school but I did no and did not need a higher processor or anything of that sort. My only recomended upgrades and purchases is get an R15 from a retailer like CompUSA (they started with five units at 9AM and were down to two when I got there seven hours later). While you are there buy another 512mb or 1gb of memory, an external floppy drive, and Microsoft office 2003 Student Edition (half the price and you can put it on 3 computers). What you need to order from online is a keyboard prtector from toshiba and a bstrong screen protector from Strong Engeneering (http://strongengineering.com/miva?/...BA&Product_Code=T750&Category_Code=SP+Toshiba)

And your are all set. You might want to get an SD card for your slot so you have one and your slot does not get dusty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.