Quick tutorial on utilizing Windows Journal for digital sketching

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. Just goes to show that small and simple doesn't mean underpowered. I never thought vector drawing could look even half-way natural. I'm gonna try this.

And btw, your bad car sketches make my good ones shuffle their feet. :)

3. Shogmaster

Thanks for the kind words, but boy, drawing through the camera's LCD is no joke... Like drawing while you are drunk!

BTW, I think your style might agree very much with Journal's line quality. You just have to find the right thickness pen and stroke speed.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Your intro might have solved for me why I have stuck with Journal on my XP tablet rather than my Windows 7 tablet running "Home User edition" - I never turned off "enable handwriting recognition" and "enable scratch-out gesture."

I have drawing files which slow down to a horrible crawl when they get above 800 or so kb. I find that even on my XP tablet though that Journal cannot update easily once the file gets above 1.0mb. The file below is one I worked on for a commission.

File 001.jpg

That's the jpeg screen grab. The original Journal file regularly broke the Windows XP OS giving me BSOD "windows fatal error" and then my tablet went into reboot - so the drawing is done over three .jnt files and all copied / pasted into a new blank journal file. The final file is only 1.6Mb but I'll see how Windows 7 copes with it now I've seen your video.

I opened the same journal .jnt file on a friends dual boot Mac Desktop running Windows 7 Professional and Journal works like a dream - only trouble is I've only got Home edition on my personal dual boot Mac and the same problem persists.

Apart from that, I love journal's ability and I use it to design my commercial screen prints very easily - if only Microsoft would allow the programme to save or copy / paste vector file so that other applications would have the raw vector info.

I don't know if Journal makes it into Windows 8 but at least there's only one version of Windows 8 for PC and desktop so hopefully it will work like Windows 7 Professional.

5. Shogmaster

That is simply crazy amazing dude.! LOL, I can't believe that's Journal! Email me that file! I wanna see my 2740p choke under it's might! I love it!

BTW, you can copy Journal vector data into Illustrator easily. You just make a selection, copy and then paste into Illustrator canvas. You'll laugh when you see how a simple curve translates into a complex Illustrator object.

6. doobiedoobiedum

You... can.... paste... into... Illustrator????

For 2 years now I've been doing screengrabs and using Photoshop to piece the file together, deeply frustrated that I've gone from smooth vector to pixellated bitmap.

You are a God Shogmaster, I have tried copy/pasting into Inkscape but that just translate my vector information into bitmap. Then I did traces to get my vector drawing back. Anyhow, I'm babbling - if you email me your email address I can email you (too many emails) the .jnt file.

my email address - phillipsalf@gmail.com

I'm at work now and the file's on my tablet at home so please forgive the delay. I'd be interested to see how well a newer tablet deals with the files.

7. Shogmaster

I have no idea if a journal file as mighty as yours will even copy into Illustrator! The CPU might commit seppuku before processing all the nodes! :D

Email me to one of my yahoo accounts if you could. It's my handle @ yahoo.com.

Looking forward to killing my Tablet PC! lol

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ok, you guys have got me interested. I go to try this. Normally, I find vectors unappealing and not very "hand drawn", but this stuff looks great. Doobie, what's your reasons for working in Journal, when you've got over programs available? Shog explained his process, but I thought you probably had different reasons.

9. doobiedoobiedum

Hi Steve, I used to agree with you where vector artwork was concerned but journal gave me the closest digital sketchpad I could ever dream of. I design screen and block prints which are sometimes transferred via laser engraver onto wood / plastic / glass etc and I wanted pure clean edges.
    If you've ever done silk screen printing, you'll be familiar with the screen either letting colour through or blocking colour medium onto the print surface. Photoshop and all the other programs are brilliant for drawing with but you will always get a pixellated line edge which won't transfer your drawing unless you work at very high resolution.

Also - I only work in pure black or white, I don't use greys except by line weight and contrast of a contrasting different thicknesses in area of black next to different thicknesses in area of white. This means I can design for laser engraver / silk screen printer etc and there is Journal's beautiful inking ability. Pressure sensitive line art in Photoshop (for me) produces pixellation which translates into areas of grey - I don't want or need them) (Personal preference)

Here's another personal image -

Synergy.jpg

this was a smaller file so I never got any BSOD. The first image I posted above was to see how far I could push Journal and I guess I found the limit (1.95Mb file size on Windows XP and Windows 7 Home Edition)

I guess I'm not answering your question well - but when I tried the same image in Illustrator CS5 at work on my PC desktop; Illustrator also began to choke as the drawing reached 20Mb and it wasn't anywhere near what I could produce in the 800kb Journal file.

I don't remember Wacom pressure sensitive brushes in Illustrator CS4 but they are definitely there in CS5 - however I didn't like the feel of them and hand pressure felt forced. This is probably down to personal preference.

I'll shut up - I think I'm rambling again but please feel free to ask more if I haven't explained myself well. I've got one of the drawings which I turned into a laser engraved image on beech ply as a jpg and maybe that can show what and why I like journal so much.

I've emailed you the file - it turned out to be 1.9Mb and it choked Journal on Windows 7 Home Edition. I had to force quit after 5 minutes - I tested it by selecting an area to copy and paste.

I know for a fact that Windows 7 Professional coped with it but my Windows 7 tablet is a Fujitsu T4210.

Oh yes, I wasn't sure if the "S" was case sensitive in your email address so you might get two emails.

10. Shogmaster

You sir, are a madman. That is one crazy file! But my 2740p opened it! And I selected portions, moved them around etc... It's Core i7 and has 8GB of RAM is probably why.

I bow down to you, master of journal doodle... :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.