Quick question: Dock/Port replicator?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Dec 16, 2006.

1. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

quick question: will there be a dock of some kind specific for the R1F?

i need a port replicator/dock.. any suggestions?

2. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

The R1F from my understanding will not have a docking station, the V1 and V2 series have one, but those are not tablets.

Kensington has a few docking stations that may be of interest to you.

http://us.kensington.com/html/10362.html

3. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

The best would be this docking station from Belkin :http://www.belkin.com/highspeeddock/
    Unfortunately, it does not work under Vista RC2, it just completely crashes the R1F ... Hopefully until Belkin releases ad hoc drivers --I bought it through Dell where it's available)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I posted a review of my use of the Kensington dock elsewhere on this site.

5. hobbyshop

I needed one with parallel port... i needed to hook up my printer. the only one that has it is the non-video version of the kensington dock that was reviewed. one less usb port too... but it needs the space for the parallel port.. what can you do... $30, not bad... (missed the deal on woot!.. was looking at it and didn't think i'd need a dock... boo!)

6. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

The new belkin unit is nice.... I got a first hand preview of it a month back.. I'm not sure when it'll be out for retail, but it's a nice alternative, especially if your notebook or tablet doesn't have a dedicated docking station (like the R1 doesn't).

Now, as for HS - have you though about just buying a parrallel to usb cable? They work darn well and if you got a usb dock just for that... what's the difference... you're still plugging in at least one usb cable, right?

7. hobbyshop

hmm... justin, you make a fine point...ha! i totally didn't consider a parallel to USB cable...

the belkin would have been great... looked at the specs and it looks sweet. too bad it's super pricey.

8. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, well Asus just announced pricing for their first FULL docking station for the new V1/V2 (15.4/14") business notebook models.... $299..... Expesnive, but it's perfect... had basically every port - dvi, s/pdif, gb lan on the newer side.... and serial, parallel, vga on the older side...... It's great, but model series specific. I don't flip over having to use the express card slot and the unit I tested had a cable that came straight out. I'm told they're supposed to either have a connection that will make a 90 degree right angle to the notebook..... that will make it really easy to work with.

Remember, for $200, it does a heck of a lot more than any usb hub could do... and it's got enough bandwidth to output dvi... and also remember it's basically universal....... and express cards are here to stay for the next decade to come, so it'll be something you might have long enough to go through a couple notebooks or more.

9. hobbyshop

well, if they will have one out for $200 that comes with all of that (video, gigabit lan, the new stuff and the old), and have it be universal... I think that would be a reallly hot seller.

I'd do it... totally

10. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you have a link on this? Also, if it uses the express card slot, why & how is it model specific?