Questions regarding Samsung Galaxy Book 360 Pro

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Pixelpedant, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Pixelpedant

Pixelpedant Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, apologies if this has been already addressed or answered in another thread....!

I´m in the market for a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop for illustration and digital painting. The Samsung Galaxy Book 360 Pro is one of the few devices with Wacom EMR and therefore on my list of possible candidates (the new Surface Pro 8 being the potential alternative).

Does anybody know if and where the 32Gb Ram/1 TB option is available? It was announced, but never materialized in Germany/Europe. Alternatively: Is there any upgrade path to increase RAM outside of what Samsung offers?

Has anyone here experience with illustration/digital painting on the Galaxy Book 360 Pro (particularly the 15,6" version)? Reason for asking is, one review mentioned potential issues with lack of rigidity of the chassis in tablet mode, and I was wondering to what extend this device is suited for prolonged, professional illustration/digital artwork.

Any help, hints, clues etc. are greatly appreciated!

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've only ever seen the 8Gb and 16Gb versions. The SSD can be swapped out and upgraded, though, so you can deal with that at your convenience.

However.., you might want to look at one of the earlier models, (the Flex or the Notebook 9 pro 15); a number of users have reported spontaneously cracking screens on the 360 Pro:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/galaxy-book-pros-are-real.75846/page-11#post-564967

anneviala and Lilawyn like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I remember watching a Linus Tech Tips review earlier this year and they pointed out that if you held the computer up in laptop mode, it would bend so far as to activate the left / right click buttons from underneath because of chassis bending. I have noticed later in the thread thatcomicsguy links to that screens are shattering and cracking on some purchased models.

I think I'd back up going for an older Samsung - this year's laptop probably pushed thin and light just that bit too far.

***EDIT***​

Just found my post warning of "flex" in April 2021

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/galaxy-book-pros-are-real.75846/page-2#post-557322

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. Pixelpedant

Pixelpedant Pen Pal - Newbie

@thatcomicsguy
    @ doobiedoobiedum:
    Thanks a lot for your answers and input - this is exactly the detail oriented feedback I was hoping for! It kind of fits together: A bending chassis, and spontaneous screen cracking.

In fact, when I picked up one of them in an electronics store, there was indeed an impression of "softness" to the entire device.

So, this basically rules out the Samsung Galaxy Book 360, at least for now. Pity, I really wanted to like it because the feeling of the S Pen on the display was very nice. Together with a Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra at a later point in time, there´s a lot of potential. If Samsung could improve upon the quality of the material, integrate a higher resolving display, and offer more ram and HD space, they´d be headed for a serious premium 2-in-1.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Alternately, I have the Galaxy Book Flex 15.6", and it's just fine structurally. I got it April 2019. It's been fine. Pen experience and screen are great. Fast and cool. Typing is ok, but travel is short. Trackpad is nice, responsive, and big. Webcam is average at best. But it's a good machine, and you can get it used for under a 1000$. Might want to look at that kind of market instead.

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. emma frank

emma frank Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have issues within tablet mode? I have been having issues for months with no luck of a fix. I am in full tablet mode trying to go between writing with s pen and touching the screen to move stuff around. At random times it will not allow me to either use s pen or touch the screen to move stuff around. When it does this i have tried restarting and such with no luck. It does it on its own and fixes it on its own.

There has to be some kind of setting im missing. Samsung tech support is of no help......

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sounds weird.

Assuming that you've already explored all the available options in the control panel wrt pen and touch and that there's an actual problem and not just poorly addressed toggle buttons...

It would be necessary to know a great many details of what you have tried, what software you have on board, etc. Randomly starting/stopping drivers are often a result of something in the background hogging resources or executing mystery functions without permission.

There are numerous approaches to exploring that, but the most basic of which is to do the "CTRL + ALT + DELETE" (the three-fingered salute) to take you into the task manager to see what is running and look for rogue programs and processes which might be culprits. I find it useful to search the web for a list of crap you can and should turn off. There are a few people who have made such lists available and have written articles about what it's safe to shut down.

Another thing you can try, (going the other way, putting things on your system rather than removing them) is to maybe download and install Radialmenu. It's a free download and I believe there's a thread explaining its use somewhere on this forum. -Anyway, it allows the user a good deal of control over the actions of the pen and button. (You can't get hover-click to bring up a context menu on my Samsung without it, so I have it boot up automatically when I start my computer). I have the pre-installed (and very limited) Samsung pen software menu which comes up offering post-it notes and other simple phone app stuff permanently disabled, and instead have Radialmenu and Wintab (the Wacom driver) installed for fine-control over my pen. That stuff is necessary for using the tablet for digital art. (Though, Wintab is less necessary these days). Maybe if you "level up" to pro digital artist drivers and such, your problems will resolve. (Assuming you're not already a digital art pro, in which case you already know this stuff!)

Anyway, let us know if any of that was useful.

Cheers, and good luck!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Lilawyn likes this.