Questions on TC4400

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by antigen, Aug 13, 2011.

1. antigen

antigen Pen Pal - Newbie

I see some good prices on ebay with this particular model : HP TC4400 -

12.1" XGA (1024x768 native) core duo 2Ghz / 2gb ram / 60gb HDD (not sure on type) with wifi-abg/bluetooth2.0

How well can windows 7 professional 32 bit handle on this machine (above specs) with maybe just word / powerpoint (2007) and onenote 2010?

Does Windows 7 already include all the needed tablet features for this particular unit? I have read that this takes notes pretty good too with its digitizer.

Thanks - I was just looking for backup options to my slate 500.

2. antigen

antigen Pen Pal - Newbie

So I picked one up from ebay with a xp pro sp3, and tablet edition COA, full docking station (usb 2.0x3 , powered usb, vga/dvi/rj45 10/100/1000, etc) and external DVD/RW reader for ~$165 shipped.... I think that was a good deal. It will be arriving in a few days... so I would like to know in advance on how the note taking/handwriting and windows 7 professional experiences may be on this. I'm not sure on how good the media video experience will be, but that is truly a secondary or even less of an issue.

I purchased this for a bigger screen in portrait view.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Since Windows Vista, tablet functionality has been built into home premium, professional and ultimate iterations of the OS. The same is the case for Windows 7. Once a digitizer is detected by the OS, the TIP (tablet input panel) & Journal are installed by default.

You can add other notetaking programs like Onenote (my personal favourite), Evernote or Franklin Covey's Tablet Planner or PlanPlus.

Since Windows Vista, you also have the option to train the OS to recognize your handwriting naunces.

It also sounds like you got a great deal on your tablet!.

Windows 7 will run fine with the specs you listed.

4. antigen

antigen Pen Pal - Newbie

Great thanks for the reassurance and notetaking suggestions :)

5. antigen

antigen Pen Pal - Newbie

So my TC4400 arrived - what a solid feel of a tablet :) It has a good weight and feels comfortable holding in one hand or using it as a "book - portrait".

Right now I am installing windows 7 professional 32bit - the powered dvd/rw drive that I initially tried via the replicator port was insanely slow. I plugged in an external plextor dvd/rw drive that I had straight to the TC4400 usb and it is flying by - still in the installation process.

Now, what drivers would I be considering to download from HP's site? They don't have an option to select any Windows 7 drivers as they were all for XP /Vista I assume. I am installing Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. Just need to make sure of addons that I might need to prevent loss of function during this new OS transition.

How will the TC4400 recognize the "tablet" features? Is it automatic or do I need to able something after installation?

I am going to do all the windows security updates first.
    I came across 2 things on another forum : (5th post from link provide drivers for HP quick launch buttons and Wacom Digitizer) - I haven't tested these out, but I was just googling around to see anything with windows 7 and TC4400.

Also, will the trackpad and center trigger/trackpoint (in keyboard) have the "scrolling" features back?

tc4400 Tablet PC - Where to find Windows 7 compatible, Quic... - HP Support Forum

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

recognition of tablet features is automatic.
    You can use Vista drivers where Window 7 drivers don't exist, but more likely than not Windows 7 will detect everything.
    You don't need drivers for the digitizer unless you need pressure sensitivity.

Can't speak to the trackpad functionality, maybe another user can comment in that regard.

7. antigen

antigen Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow what a difference in writing with that pen on this tc4400 - very different experience to my slate 500.... it's like I wouldn't want to go back - it's a very natural and responsive feeling.

So Win7 Professional installed without hitches as you had mentioned - the tablet/pen features came up automatically. I tried downloading the link to the HP Quick Keys - but upon trying to install it, Win7 said there are newer drivers already installed. I did all the Win7 pro updates (took a few hours)...

I'm still not able to press any buttons to activate a screen change and the portrait mode doesn't switch over when in tablet form - it just stays in landscape. If I go to display and try force portrait - it will switch but then it won't go to landscape...

Scroll works on the trackpad but not trackpoint out of the box.

8. cwanderson

cwanderson Pen Pal - Newbie

I am trying to install Windows 7 from an external Samsung DVD. It seems as soon as it tries to access the hard drive I am asked to insert disc with drivers. What drivers must I supply? Any ideas?

thanks.

9. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Does it mention anything specifics it needs drivers for?
    Can you skip it? If so, what happens?

What are the BIOS settings for the internal harddrive?

10. BadAnimal

BadAnimal Pen Pal - Newbie

Good morning DRTigerlilly! I have a HP Compaq TC4400 with Windows 7 Pro installed. I need pressure sensitivity and just can't find the correct driver, can you help please?

Thank you!!