Questions for people who have the 6.8 inch Galaxy Note 10+. Big enough for notes/annotation?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paprikaleapt, Sep 29, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Are 6.8 phablets big enough to use for notetaking/annotation or is it a "nah, screw it just get the ipad mini or ipad pro + a shoulder bag to hold it" kind of situation still?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're going to get varying answers on this one. For example, @Bronsky et al. will tell you that it is completely doable given his 5yrs experience on an even "smaller" N5.

OTOH, the likes of me will tell you that inking on any sub 8" device is not realistic outside doodling figures and a couple of words. I'll point to the stupid curved edges of the note series that even worsen the experience because it further reduces the inkable areas. This is because the pen slides off the screen once you get too close to those curves, and so you're consciously trying to avoid it.

So, if you can navigate inking on a narrow 6..8" device (remember that size is more because of the length than the width) that's even made narrower by inaccessible curved edges on both sides, go for it. Otherwise, have a look at the IPM 5 or the GT A with S pen (2019).

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Tams, paprikaleapt and Bronsky like this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If you are the type of person that carries a pocket spiral notenbooks then yes, I've used mine with customer meetings frequently and to take notes while on a call...

paprikaleapt and Bronsky like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I do quite a bit of my overall note taking on the Note. In landscape I keep timesheets. Working on projects, I make to-do lists, take notes on document reviews, note the lines of testimony for insertion in larger documents. Working on my boat, I keep shopping lists and annual punch lists. But, the handheld note has its limitations.

For larger projects, like note-taking at seminars, I have to step up to the Go. Same for annotating documents, marking up areal images or taking notes during extended interviews. Anything else, I do on a keyboard since I'm about twice as fast on the keys as I am handwriting. So, while the Note 10+ phablet can handle much of your everyday note taking needs, it is not a panacea.

5. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

My Note 8 and now Now Note 10+ are great for occasional notes on the fly, but because of the size and curved edges they are unsuitable for the extensive note-taking I require in consulting projects. I'm always looking for the perfect device, and Wacom EMR always seems to rise to the most important requirement. I quite like my Mate 20X for the size, the flat screen, the 5,000 mah battery that never seems to run out of power, and the inking experience. The one thing I don't like is the requirements to charge the pen. I used a Tab S3 for a few years, and recently picked up the new Tab A205, 8" tablet with S-Pen and LTE. It works really well in projects and it was relatively inexpensive.

So, to answer your question, it really depends on your use-case. For an occasional jotted note, the 10+ is fine. For more extensive notes, I recommend at least 8".

Ron

6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

10 is fine but for more extensive stuff, we need at least 8.

I know what you mean but it still made me smile and laugh

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

I meant the Note 10+ phone, not the older 10" tablets.

Ron

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Can I just say. It's absolutely extraordinary that Samsung would serve up year after year a note-taking device with *curved edges*. A device that's already hampered by its size. It spoils the entire experience for anything more than a doodle, as pointed out by several people in this thread.

How on earth is it possible that they blithely ignore this design disaster year after year? It's kept me from buying a note for the last 4-5 years. What gives? I just don't get it.

Tams, nnthemperor and thierryb like this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bless your heart, bro. Beats me too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Because flagship smartphones are more akin to jewellery now (albeit high functional in most regards).

nnthemperor likes this.