Questions about Windows 10 as a tablet OS

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by manhattan, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I've seen around the web -and even here, that Win10 is focusing on Desktop functionality. But I imagine they must do something for tablet as well (after all, they got that continuum business going).

Anyhow, my questions are this:

I feel that iOS and Android tablets have this certain functionality or something that makes them akin to smartphones, that I just can't get from a windows tablet. What exactly is t? I'm not sure if I can precisely identify it, and I'm not even sure if it's just me, not using windows tablets correctly... So I guess that's the biggest question I have: Am I using my windows 8.1 tablet correctly?

So what are some of the things that I find myself wanting from windows 10?
    1) I use google calendar to set up alarms/reminders of sorts. I have seen and tried "remind me" type apps for windows, but they don't seem to have the same efficiency and reliability that I get from my calendars and whatnot. It could be a question of an underdeveloped market, but I feel the problem is deeper and more OS reliant than that... It's the way apps and applications and software perform their function on Windows.

2) In line with question one: notices, notifications, et al... I feel that the notice bar, and the way notifications work on the other two OS, they are really effective at getting my attention and making sure I am aware of the issue, even when I'm not actively using the device. I especially appreciate Android's little drop down menus that grants you access to your notices and notifications, and lets you subsequently launch and address any apps that require dealing with. This kind of leads into my next question...

3) Mobile devices offer widgets, quick launching of apps, easy and immediate interaction with the tools that I want to work with. Maybe it's my approach to Windows, but I feel that for any one given program I want to deal with, it's got to be a committed relation that requires both attention and patience. I mean obviously, I don't expect to launch a full blown Photoshop or 3D CAD software (on Windows) like I'm playing with my instant messaging app (on iOS or Android); but it would be nice if I could quickly and easily interact with lighter programs (or apps) with that similar ease and immediacy.

4) I guess my next point is not entirely unrelated to the previous remark: programs in Windows seem to remain active regardless of use -they don't really go into the background and into that semi-dormant state that resembles having the app closed, like they do in mobile devices (consuming little to no resources).

5) And my last observation: I have 3 windows 8 devices and none of them handle the sleep state consistently (or well). It's more like an all-or-nothing kind of situation. I understand that this sleep/suspend/standby state, theoretically exists, but it's been my observation that it doesn't work as advertised despite all the settings tweaking or service shutdown and switching from automatic to delay or manual. Either, I might as well shutdown or leave it the device on. The absence of -real- standby to speak of, (at least nothing like the state that tablets and phones enter) means that the device must remain on all the time, compiled with the fact that programs/apps don't really suspend to background that well either, leads to the battery life getting destroyed.

Again, this could just be me, using the devices incorrectly... But it's across several devices, so it really increases the likeliness of being either user error or system error (as opposed to faulty devices).

Anyhow, I'd like some thoughts or observations; either pointers on my usage, your own experience, or expectations to be had for Windows 10.
    Thanks for reading; and for responding.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Right now, Windows 10 has absolutely no new tablet features, and many of the Windows 8 features are majorly downgraded.

That being said, your issues are all pretty similar. For 3 and 4, those are solved by WinRT / Windows Store apps and their live tiles. The notification center is being added in Windows 10 so that'll fix that. And for 1 and 5, it's mostly because it requires a newer device that supports Connected Standby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.