Questions about W700 (noise and writing)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Revelations, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtyoung1

jtyoung1 Pen Pal - Newbie

The US version has the HD4000 in the i3 version.

2. loadinglevelone

loadinglevelone Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah.. it seems Acer doesn't like us Europeans as much. We only get last years stuff

Oh well.. I'm getting myself the i5 version because of that. As soon as it actually hits the stores that is.
    Seems its being delayed until January - so no Christmas present for me. :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  3. vap3

vap3 Pen Pal - Newbie

in terms of speed difference how much faster is the i3 ivy bridge compared to the new atom clover trail processors? worth the extra price for the performance boost plus 1080p screen vs the evnyx2 or acer w510

4. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

I did a comparison here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/acer-gateway/54017-hands-w510-vs-w700.html

It all depends on what you need to do. Office and simple stuff makes almost no difference. In fact with the MicroSD slot on the W510, you can easily get more internal storage on a W510 vs the W700 i3 64GB (no MicroSD slot). More CPU intensive task like video conversion will take longer on the W510 though. Here's some real world number for you. I used Aimersoft's Video Converter Ultimate (trial version) to covert a 1GB .mkv video file to iPhone 4 format. I did this on a S7 i5 with 128GB SSD. and it took 10 mins. Doing the same on the W510 took 45 mins.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. neodoughnut

neodoughnut Pen Pal - Newbie

I have now received my W700 from the US and confirm it indeed has a i3 3217 (1.8GHz/HD 4000), and all the accessories. Comparing it too my W500 I must say it feels lighter even if the weight is the same as it better distributed. The screen alone and the sheer speed of the W700 especially when compared to C50/C60 and Atom models are worth the extra £50.

I am however experiencing Wifi issues with the W700 dropping the connection every so often, and it appears to affect quite a few people :

Acer Iconia W700 Wi-Fi problem - Acer Support Forums

WI-FI connection repeatedly goes"Limited" on Windows 8 Tablet - Microsoft Community

6. svmus

svmus Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered a W700 with i3 and 64GB. I also have a windows 8 Pro disk and would like to upgrade and remove the bloatware to save some space on the drive.

I am not familliar with windows 8 at all and some detalied instructions/steps from those that did an clean installation would be highly appreciated. I am looking at installing windows media center and powerdvd 11 I have purchased a while back, any direction for these would also be helpfull.

If also a link where I can find latest drivers will be great. Acer USA website for me is somewhat clunky.

Thanks in advance

7. svmus

svmus Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally got the tablet with i3, and removed quite a bit of bloatware Acer has loaded.I do like few thing Acer has included for the time being till I get familliar with Windows 8.

Any recommendation on how to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for having windows media center? Clean or upgrade on the exisiting install? I am somewhat apprehensive with Clean install not knowing which drivers and what setting I need to tweak...

Another question - If I do a clean install is there a way to install Macfee etc.. software from the restore disks Acer has provided? I dont see these applications from Acer downloads, only drivers.

Thx in advance

8. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody has any information about the release date of W700p i5 version?

I believe nobody has yet figured out what digitizer it uses?

9. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

The W700p will not have digitizer.

10. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

So it just comes with capacitive pen then? You would think it comes with a digitizer as they advertise that stylus function.