Questions about W700 (noise and writing)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Revelations, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neodoughnut

neodoughnut Pen Pal - Newbie

I have bought one from ebay from the US and after reading this thread and doing a little research it appears the difference between the EU and US model is more than just a better CPU/GPU. Whilst the US model does get a better CPU/GPU (i3 2365 vs i3 3217) it would appear the US model does not come the dock/cradle, case or the bluetooth keyboard.

I will confirm this when I am due to receive this in about a week. I think I should have waited for the release of the EU model.

:(

2. neodoughnut

neodoughnut Pen Pal - Newbie

I was also going to ask does any body know if the SSD inside the W700 is mSATA? I already have a 256 Crucial M4 in my W510 and would like to move that to my future W700.

3. loadinglevelone

loadinglevelone Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it even possible to open the W700?

Judging form the pictures it does not look like it ca be opened. At least not without the risk of breaking it.

4. jtyoung1

jtyoung1 Pen Pal - Newbie

The US version does come with the dock/cradle, Bluetooth keyboard, and the case for the tablet.

5. jtyoung1

jtyoung1 Pen Pal - Newbie

The drive in the US model is a Toshiba drive and I am pretty sure it is mSATA since the tablet is thinner than your average internal SSD drive. I don't think you are going to be able to open it up very easily to swap the drive out. Not saying it is impossible but I don't see a way to easily open the tablet.

6. loadinglevelone

My best guess is that the w700 is assembled using snap-in fittings.
    To open it one would most likely have to gently pry it open, working one's way around the edge - between the glass and the frame.

7. mengpo

mengpo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there,

To disassemble the w700, you have to remove the white plastic and the screws behind the tab. Then push gently the screen through the screw holes and put two sledges inside it. When you did that, you can working one's way around the edge to remove the screen. Watch out, there'a a ribbon on the bottom of the screen. This way to see the pictures (it's in French) :
    W700's teardown

The ssd is a msata Toshiba : [​IMG]

8. loadinglevelone

Ah... thank you mengpo. Finally some real information on the w700.

9. mengpo

mengpo Pen Pal - Newbie

you're welcome :)

10. farkingdom

farkingdom Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I am a user of Iconia W700 and I can confirm that the i3 version does come with HD3000 instead of the HD4000 as it is only a Sandy Bridge processor.
    Other than that, I am still very satisfied with the tablet, compared to an Atom, it's still blazing fast. I am sure those i5 users will rejoice more though.
    The best part of it is the price, which is priced cheaper than the normal Ativ Smart PC.