Questions about W700 (noise and writing)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Revelations, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zkoder

zkoder Pen Pal - Newbie

First of all - excuse me about the long post! :)

Actualy I don't think that Acer are having any fault in my case. Officialy on their site ACER are avoiding to publish universal specification. If you access the local sections (uk, us, etc) you may find different information. Also is aspecialy mentioned that the specification and package content may vary depending on the region. Defenately there is mistake in the summary of the specification in UK section - on the top of the page is writen HD4000 but in the details is presented i3 2365M with HD3000.
    After some investigation I am having impression that version 6607 (using i3-3217U) is inteded for the US market. It is common case to be presented better hardware on lower price for US so I am not surprised at all.
    I am a little bit angry on our local distributors (or end dealers) which are presenting the same prices as in western Europe but for less content in the box. Some of them are also selling refubrished devices as new with limited warranty.

I don't want to provide wrong impression - the device is great in many ways. Personaly for me:
    - Even with the sandy bridge processor is performing very well. (For my needs. i need mobility and device that can run standard x86 applications). For high performance I am using i7 (four core) notebook so I dont realy need power in the tablet.
    - The display is very nice and with beautiful collors.
    - With 1080p on 11.6 inches sometimes is dificult to select the small objects. Digital pen will be a big advantege but is not possible for this price. So I am using created my own version of capacitive stilus (the head is like a donut so the center is empty fo better visibiliti).
    - Included leader case is good advantage since the accessories are still missing on the market.
    - There is adapter Micro HDMI to VGA - perfect for me. Also I am taken Micro HDMI to HDMI cable (7 EUR).
    - The chassis is very well build.
    - Another 25 EUR for keyboard with embaded touchpad.
    - Long battery life - six hours normal work on the second recharging cycle.
    - Lack of Micro SD slot - disadvantage. But is not big deal for me since I am having 32GB flash drives and access to my home server from everywhere if I want.
    - Light weith charger. Realy usefull for traveling.
    - Fast hibernation. Fast wake up. Fast restart. Fast shutdown. Fast start after shutdown.
    - the device is not too hot. I don't know what is the case in the version with i5. May be is the same since Ivy bridge is more efficient architecture.
    - I am having strange problem with the wireless connectivity. Sometimes is losing internet access (not conectivity to the router). But I think that this is software issue.

Keep in ming that in the beggining before the updates Windows 8 may be a little bit buggy :) It becomes better after the first updates. This is normal since is still very young OS. Also is freezing sometimes. Be patient in the first few days until is properly updated.

Finally - I really like it. I was waiting for a long time to find on the market light weight tablet with normal OS on price under 1000 EUR. In my country the end price was 600 EUR (for example my Samsung galaxy p1000 cost me 500 EUR three years ago <Big mistake :) - Laggy, buggy and unstable expencive piece of technology.>).
    The alternative was to wait few months to arived on the Easterm Europe market micrsoft slate or Samsung device with digital pen, better processor and card reader, but the expected price is at least additional 250/300 EUR. It is just too much for me for new tablet.

2. loadinglevelone

loadinglevelone Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats a shame!

They're delivering better versions of the i3 to NA than to EU :(

Also, I see that some counties get four models to choose from while others only get two.
    In addition I read on some other forum that the W700P-6821 model was supposed to have a card reader. This
    might be only rumors though. Still the information on acer's site gives no clue to what the "P" stands for.

Here in Norway there only seems to be two models. None of them are available before december though.
    Rumours has it that these will not include the keyboard :(

Anyway... I know I'll be regretting my choice in the future if I "only" buy the i3 64GB version, so I'll most likely be going for the top model.
    Haven't ordered it yet thought. Still waiting for more conclusive information before I make my choice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. loadinglevelone

Been trying to find information as to the difference between W700 and W700P. And as usual - no information on acer's site.
    Some sites suggests that the P models comes with a stylus. Can anyone confirm?

4. loadinglevelone

Double post (sry)

5. zkoder

zkoder Pen Pal - Newbie

It is again US market version. Here is the full specification (price 1048 USD for US, somy sugestion for the price in Europe for i5 version is very close):
    W700P-6821 | Model Datasheet

6. zkoder

zkoder Pen Pal - Newbie

It is US version. There is no pen. If the moderator approve my post you can find official link with full specification and price for US.

7. loadinglevelone

Yes, I'm referring to the US models. There seems to be four of them:

W700-6607 - i3-3217U, 64GB, $799.99
    W700-6691 - i5-3317U, 64GB, $899.99
    W700-6465 - i5-3317U, 128GB $999.99
    W700P-6821 - i5-3317U, 128GB, $1049.99

Specwise the two latter seems identical, so whats up with the $50 price difference?

Or in other words - what is the difference between W700 and W700P?

8. toucan

toucan Pen Pal - Newbie

The only difference I see is the W700 has a "CineCrystal" mention in the display part.

9. zkoder

zkoder Pen Pal - Newbie

There is TPM module presented in P version (crypto chip). Also the normal one (cheaper) is having faster SSD :) (sata 600 vs sata 300 in P version). It is not very clear for me if they are aving the same display technology or not. The normal version is described with IPS but fo P version is not especialy mentioned...

10. Erik2929

Erik2929 Pen Pal - Newbie

Btw seems Acer serves EU with Sandy Bridge just checked different countries everyone nearly has identical 2365 cpu so kudos to Acer being such a cheap company ....