Questions about W700 (noise and writing)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Revelations, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revelations

Revelations Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.
    I have preordered W700. I'm gonna give Microsoft a chance.
    Iconia W700 looks like a really nice tablet, it's a bit bulky but I don't mind, I like the size of it. At least from what I've seen, I have never owned a tablet :)

Question 1:
    I've noticed there are 2 big holes to vent hot air, so it's actively cooled. Does anyone know how loud those fans are? Especially at night, when everything is quiet, do you hear them running? And what about everyday use?

Question 2:
    I know that W700 doesn't come with a pen, but I saw that you can buy one separately. Will I be able to write on in like on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? I really like how Samsung made writing on Note 10.1 (too bad Android is miles behind Windows 8).

2. Revelations

No reviews, no unboxings, completely no info on this thing, 1 day after it's supposed release?
    And this forum is only discussing the inferior W500?
    Nobody got their hands on one of these?

3. loadinglevelone

loadinglevelone Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also wondering these thins, but theres absolutely no information about this tablet on the net (besides initial preview stuff).
    Acer has no user manual nor drivers available either - despite releasing the tablet 2 days ago. :(

4. loadinglevelone

One other thing:

Acer lists 4 models on their webpage (All previews tell of only 3):

W700-6607
    W700-6691
    W700-6465
    W700P-6821

Now, the 6465 and the 6821 seemingly have the same specs. So, whats the difference?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Revelations

Yeah it's a bit worrying.

I won't get mine until mid November though, so hopefully there will be plenty of reviews and unboxings out there so I can cancel my order in case something is very wrong.

6. Housed

Housed Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here. You'd think there's some rich person out there crazy for tablets that they'd buy all of them just to review them for the community lol :p

7. loadinglevelone

I haven't ordered mine yet. Waiting for reviews. Besides - none of the stores here have the tablet in stock yet.

But yeah... i will most likely be ordering one.
    From what I've seen of the tablet so far no other product out there can match its performance and features.
    I'm not saying it's perfect, but its the only high-res screen, high performance, windows tablet out there.

I would have liked a stylus and a SD card slot though.

Also it would be nice with an option for more than 128GG SSD. Not that it's really needed, but the option would be nice.
    Which brings on the next question - is the memory and ssd replacable? I would say probably not.
    ...but if it is possible at all - even if it means disassembly to void the warranty - I would like to know.

8. Revelations

Yeah it's a pity W700 doesn't support active digitizer. I would really have liked it.

However Core i5 version costs the same as Asus/HP/Samsung Atom models here in Sweden, and a digitizer is not a must for me, so it's the reason why I decided to get W700.
    For example Samsung core i5 version (which is actually the only core ix tablet besides W700 that can be preordered here in Sweden) is whooping 700 euros or 900 usd more expensive than W700 which has the same specs.
    A little bit lighter, Win8 pro vs Win8 on Acer, and probably support for active digitizer is no way to justify such a huge price difference.

9. Revelations

Anyone know how well Adonit Jot Pro Stylus works with W700?
    People say it's a bit resistive on A500, but I have no clue if it will work on W700.

10. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use a jot pro with the W700 with no problem. Fan noise is not noticeable when playing back HD movies. I have not stress the CPU any further than that though.