Questions about the Galaxy Book 12

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by jm2c, Nov 17, 2017.

1. jm2c

jm2c Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking for something to replace a Surface Pro. Galaxy Book 12 is at the top of my list. I'm Hoping people with the Book can help me with some questions.
    1. What is your real use battery life like?
    2. Does the screen flex under pressure? Something I never liked about the surface pro was that when using the pen it was very easy to cause ripples under the screen with very little pressure.
    3. I read the sd card reader is slow. Is that true?
    4. Would the original Surface Pro pen work on this? Just curious.
    5. Any issues that I should be aware of? I've tried to go through the 250 pages of the official discussion thread, but didn't quite make it.
    6. Is build quality okay? I read its mostly plastic, but does it feel solid? Does it creak or have any flimsy feeling?
    7. Would you buy it again?
    Thank You!

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1 - using the 85% battery saver option, and on the occasions when I unplug, I go for hours and rarely hit empty
    2 - rock solid --- I use the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus which has a _very_ low activation force
    3 - I don't use that much at all, due to it needing a SIM tool to swap cards, which I find _very_ annoying
    4 - yes, but it requires enough pressure that I found that a similar vintage Wacom EMR pen wasn't really usable (kept getting skipping in strokes) --- didn't do more than experiment
    5 - it runs a bit hotter than I'd prefer, but the fan is dead silent, so I don't get annoyed by it
    6 - rock solid --- it's actually all metal, but the metal body has a _very_ thick powder coating or some similar surface treatment (I'd really like to know what it is)
    7 - yep

A few more notes:

- the folio keyboard case is better than I'd thought it would be and I use it more than I'd expected
    - it's surprisingly nicely hefty in the hand, dense w/o feeling weighty --- the large size does give it a bit of leverage, so a bit of care is warranted
    - the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus makes the device for me (mislike the stock pen)
    - the adhesive on the stock pen's pen loop gave way, and I need to work something else out for all that

sdlnv likes this.
  3. jm2c

jm2c Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the reply. It sounds good. I didn't know it was metal. I wonder what coating they use.

I'm a little worried about heat. Not because of me, but for the sake of the device's longevity. But I guess that's not something that can be determined yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. jm2c

jm2c Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a Galaxy Book 12 and so far I like it. I haven't had it for long so we'll see how it goes long term, but short term it's been nice. Battery life has been about the same as my SP4, perhaps better. It also charges really fast so that's good. I like that the charger isn't a brick.

I'll miss the kickstand that my SP4 has. The screen seems to be much nicer than the SP4's. I've always preferred the Wacom EMR over the Surface Pen so I'm glad to be back on a device using that again.

The device feels solid. I have no complaints about the build.

Hopefully this device will be able to last a while.

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

My GB 12 is nice, but it isn't as satisfying as the SP3 or 4 in some ways. Wacom is great on the GB12 , screen is great, keyboard is just fine...the kickstand on the SP line is better, more stable and more versatile than the folio case setup on the GB12. In my opinion, the battery life isn't as good as my SP3 was - that's my opinion, but I truly believe that in ordinary office use the SP line will do a little better than the GB12 when it comes to battery. I find that the fan on the GB12 runs more than I remember the fan running on the SP line (GB12 has a slight whine to the fan whereas I do not remember the SP doing that). They all run at one time or another, but I believe the GB12's fan runs a little more - maybe the folio cover helps the device retain a little more heat; just a guess on that. Both devices feel solid and build quality is good. I feel less inclined to put the GB12 into a case or sleeve since the folio covers it on both sides as opposed to only one side on the SP line.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's my verdict too. The GB 12 is great for inking and the Surface Pro is better for everything else.

Telstar1948 and thatcomicsguy like this.