Questions about R1F

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dustinin, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, one nice thing you get with a glaretype display are true blacks...... now, outside in the dark, you're going to want maybe only a 10% backlight, but rather than seeing mainly grey all over the screen... you'll have black. I must say it's one of the most interesting uses of a notebook - especially a tablet - that I've seen.... but certainly sounds like something I'll be looking into just to relax.

2. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for not replying to these messages earlier, i was busy :(

I googled Ubuntu and found the site, it looks pretty cool...and it is a great ease to my mind knowing that someone else has already installed a version of linux on a tablet. Thank you for the very usefull links, you were a great help :p

Thats a cool link *adds to favorites*, it doesnt have battlefield 1942 on it...however it gives me a general feel of the power of the card :)

lol, if it doesnt run 1942 then it will probably be for the better...i can just see myself playing desert combat all through class...or worse yet yelling a curse word when i get killed 5 feet from returning the flag :eek:

2) This laptop is going to be around me for 3 years, in those 3 years it is going to be babied as much as i possibly can...however i know that eventually something is going to happen. So durability would be nice to have

3) 150 sounds like a resonable price, lets hope its around their *crosses fingers*

4) 3 hours would be more than enough for this semester :p

5) If it isnt a problem then i cant see it being an issue, if it was really bad then more people would of complained

Yea, i have read your review (good job on that btw)...i vowed to myself that i would never play world of warcraft, but if it can run that then its likely that it will run 1942 :)

To be honest thats the most colorful reply i have ever seen on these forums :)

1) thats good to hear
    2) i'm supprized it didnt mention a Carbon fiber chassis and Magnesium Alloy Lid...those sound strong
    3) hopefully it'll be aruond their
    4) 8 hours :eek: that'd be awesome
    5) not great, but very good...sounds like i wont notice the diff
    6) I made a mockup of the screen with paper, but not the whole thing...i dunno what it is about videos, but they really are more helpfull than pictures
    7) yea not many people in the posts have mentioned games
    8) ohh how i hate drivers, but just so loong as i know its possible that'll keep me going

Good job alphaswift :D

i was going to take an astrology class, but then decided against it...however i am interested in stuff like this so if i get this tablet i'll check it out for ya :D

oooo, sounds cool...i'll be sure to check this out. True blacks sound like they make a big diff

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem...I only wish the websites I pointed you to were a little more helpful. It's just that Linux on a tablet is a relatively new thing. Hopefully in the future ubuntu and other distros will be better equipped to handle the tablet PC so I won't have to rely on Windows Tablet PC Edition/Vista as my only means of having a fully functional tablet.

If you haven't found it yet, you can take a look at this to get a little information on Ubuntu and tablet PC's.

This may get you headed in the right direction as far as installing Ubuntu goes. I know it's where I'm going to start, but you could still wind up with God knows what kind of issues...but a decent start is better than no start in my opinion. If you get the R1F and end up trying this, please let us know how it works out.

Bear in mind that the walkthroughs I've linked to use the nVidia driver, so I'm not sure what changes, if any, would need to be made using the 945GM in the R1F. You can take a look here and possibly get some help from their documentation on the 945GM if you end up having trouble with it.

4. PROPortable

Well, Asus isn't a marketing company - like Sony is..... Sony has Asus make their laptops, and they focus on selling them... Asus may have bitten off more than they could chew, but as long as they continue to make top notch systems... I could care less what sort of terms they want to use when presenting them.... as long I know and I can show and tell our customers... it's not that big of a deal. For Asus, those materials have been their standard for the last 3+ years... so it's sorta a ho-hum thing to them.... They'd rather present good quality than talk about it........ but then agian, you can't just go to best buy and pick one up to compare - that's where the idea just doesn't work out for them.

5. dustinin

If i have any troubles installing ubuntu one of my teachers should be able to help me...and if they cant the internet definatly can :p

From what ive discovered about ubuntu it appears to be an awesome OS

Every day i gain a little bit more respect for asus, they make Apple Laptops...and now i learn they build sony laptops. I am pretty sure i heared somewhere that they make toshiba laptops to, but i cant be 100% sure on that one. Before a few days ago i just thought they made desktop hardware, now i know much more :D

6. PROPortable

Don't go there..... their respect should be gained from their own notebooks - as they better than the Apple and Sony models they make..... afterall, they then have final say on design and price issues - which is what brings down the overall quality of those other systems...... if you can believe they're of a lower quality........ They don't "make" toshiba systems - but they are a contract company and they have made one or two systems for just about everyone....... and a study a couple years ago showed nearly 50% of the computers in the world actually had a motherboard made at Asus' factory...... Their own stuff is top notch.. when they are working as another companies ODM - they could make a pile of crap if that's what the customer is paying them for ----- Asus has a dedicated repair facility in Kentucky JUST to keep with Dell motherboard issues for desktop motherboards that they contracted them for years ago...... the Asus techs there HATE it because there's no fixing or upgrading... if there's a problem they need a whole new motherboard 90% of the time.....

If any other notebook Asus makes should impress anyone - it would be that they design and build Sharp's notebooks...... I don't know if they're really sold here in the states (it's been a while since I've seen them), but they're some of the worlds thinnest and lightest systems... and most expensive.

Asus has their hand in just about everything...... They've been making pocket pc's for themselves for 4+ years now... but they were the design and builder of the old Casio Pocket PC's.... basically THE PPC to own before Hp bought up the Ipaq...... So, they really have 8-9 years experience in that field..... IT's stuff like that which should impress.... experience goes a long way - especially when you get to learn stuff on someone else' dime and then fix all the small things when it comes to your own product.......

7. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is a stupid question, but I gotta ask...

Does the R1F come with integrated bluetooth? It shows as optional on the spec sheet, but from all accounts it comes with a BT mouse. I am certain it does come with BT...I just gota be sure

Thanks

8. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the R1F comes with bluetooth and includes a BT mouse (Logitech 270)

9. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Not a stupid question, after the fact that the A8jm didn't come with Bluetooth in North America, people have been asking which notebooks do and do not come with bluetooth.

Yes, the R1F does have Bluetooth 2.0 and that ASUS Bluetooth mouse aswell, in which you can connect to it.

*Seems like aplha beat me to it, haha i'm a little bit slow a typing sometimes LOL

10. dustinin

You know alot about asus PROPortable, i just finished watching their corperate video...they make alot of stuff :eek:
    http://www.asus.com/aboutasus.aspx?show=4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.