Questions about R1F

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dustinin, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

1) Will the integrated OS interfear with the upgrade to vista?
    my buddy (who knows alot about computers) said it will probably cause troubles

2) How durable is the R1F?
    this thing is going to take ALOT of abuse

3) How much does the 2nd battery cost (in canadian dollars), I cant seem to find it anywhere?

4) How much extra battery life do you get from the 2nd battery?

5) How bad are the viewing angles?
    some people said things about how they can be viewed good at certain angles and bad at other angles)

6) Is their a video of someone useing this tablet that can be found on the internet?

7) How good is it for games, like the ones below?
    - GTA2 (this one should definatly work, but just gotta hear it from one of you guys to ease my mind)
    - Mafia
    - Battlefield 1942 (desert combat must run)

8) Has anyone used a dual boot?, preferably useing some sort of linux
    i'm in compsci

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) What integrated OS? Does your buddy think that Tablet XP is on a chip? A few people here are running Vista, but having problems ( specifically with wireless ) because the Vista drivers have not been released yet.

2) I'd expect the R1F to be as durable as any laptop. The hinge may be more prone to problems if you abuse it, though.

3) 2nd battery not available yet, as I understand it.

4) I wouldn't expect a double, but it should be pretty close.

5) Side-to-side viewing angles are great. Someone here had negative comments about up-down...but it's not an issue for me.

6) Videos? Dunno. A few people have pics, though. Check here or use Google images.

7) Good for games? Probably not. Since the graphics are integrated, this is not a gaming tablet. You may want to check out the Toshiba tablet if this is very important. BF1942 is getting a little old, so it may work. Maybe someone else will read this and be able to comment.

8) Someone here was going to try it, but there's been no feedback yet. Check the other product threads to see how tablets in general perform.

3. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

It said somewhere that their was an integrated OS, but he coulda just been playing with me, yea i read how some people got vista running (but had wireless issues)...odds are Asus will fix these issues before vista is released. I was just unsure about this point

2) thats kinda vauge, like vs other tables you've seen is the R1F up to par in terms of durability

3) :(

4) :) hopefully

5) that seems to be how most people are feeling about their screens, hopefully the up-down angle isnt to bad

6) ive seen a million pics, but videos help you get a sence of the general feel of the tablet

7) just so long as BF1942 works i'm happy

8) I'll search around for that guy's post

thanks for the reply alphaswift, your comments were very helpfull :)

4. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

If you haven't found it yet, the mention of using a linux distro on the R1F can be found in this thread.

Also, if you check out the Toshiba section of this forum you will find someone who posted a very thorough write up on running ubuntu 6.06 (I believe) on the Tecra M7. From what I have gathered about setting up linux (particularly Ubuntu) on a tablet is that your only hopes of getting decent pen tracking are if you stick to the tablets that use Wacom (which means no Gateway...but you're looking at the R1F, so that shouldn't be an issue for you) but this could have changed since I last looked into it.

It is also worthwhile to note that in many cases you can have difficulty getting the 'special' buttons located near the screen to work. For example, in the case of the R1F, these would be like CTRL+ALT+DEL button on the top. I'm not saying they DO NOT work on an R1F running Linux (as I have read nothing about an R1F running Linux because I can't seem to find anything), but based on experiences with other tablets you can expect problems if you even get any kind of function out of them at all. Also, in other tablets people have mentioned difficulty setting up things like screen rotation and the like.

Another thing to consider/expect is that your fingerprint reader will probably be useless. From what I have gathered many people in the notebook arena in general have not had any luck getting their fingerprint readers to work in Linux.

With all that said I will once again tack on the disclaimer that the above statements are merely speculations and not truths. Having never personally used Linux on an R1F I cannot tell you any concrete information, and since I cannot find any reviews on someone that has done this I cannot even point you in the direction of an enlightened individual.

What I can tell you is that if you go with a Linux build you will probably have quite a bit of work ahead of you in setting it up properly, and then you'll have even more work searching for the programs you need to replace things like Windows Journal and the like. However, since tablets have been made to run Linux before (and even Compiz...imagine that!) this task is not impossible, just expect running Linux to be more of an experiment than enjoyable experience while many of the quirks of interfacing Linux to tablet are still being worked out.

Sorry this was such a long answer to your question, and if I can find all my old resources regarding Linux use on a tablet in general I will update this post with them. Also, whenever I do manage to get my hands on an R1F, I'll be sure to give you, and the rest of this forum, first hand information on what it's like.

To answer your 7th question, check out Intel's website. They give a pretty thorough listing of games that do and do not work with the graphics chipset in the R1F.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Creole

Creole Pen Pal - Newbie

6. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for posting that, Creole. I couldn't remember it off hand and had too much going on last night to sit down and look for it.

I've always wondered how accurate that website is. For example, I see that this chipset can supposedly handle a game as graphically intense as F.E.A.R. and it makes me raise an eyebrow....

Also, even though the link has been posted, I see no mention of BF 1942 on the list. Perhaps a google search about question #7 could better answer your question dustinin

7. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

2) How much abuse are we talking about? Dropping it from 2 feet? Normal bumps and bangs while in a case? Normal school/business usage?

3) The modular battery is not available yet, expect another 2-3 months, my estimate it would cost 150$ CAD. (Give or take 30$)

4) Just to let you know the main battery gets anywhere from 3.5 hours to 4 hours depending on the brightness, my best guess is that the modular battery would easily get 1.5, but my guess is it can do something like 2.5 hours.

5) In general most laptops have decent horizontal viewing angles (side to side), however many screens do suffer from not having good vertical viewing angles (up and down). When I used the laptop in tablet form i did not find the viewing angles to be a problem.

When I used the laptop and put the screen upright and if i were to move my head above the screen or below the screen yes you will see discolouration, but this is the case for most laptops.

I'm sure you've read my review,
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=3557
    Go to the Screen section, i have described and shown pictures of the viewing angles.

For your regards to gaming you can look at my benchmarks for 3Dmark05/06 and extrapolate from there, but also others have tested GPU's of this caliber and you can read about it.

PS: If my memory serves me right, people are able to play World of Warcraft on it, so that shows some of the gaming potential the R1F.

8. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

1) Will the integrated OS interfear with the upgrade to vista?
    my buddy (who knows alot about computers) said it will probably cause troubles
    A: No, it's Vista Capable and certainly won't have a problem - and you'll get the Vista upgrade for FREE.

2) How durable is the R1F?
    this thing is going to take ALOT of abuse
    A: Carbon fiber chassis and Magnesium Alloy Lid...... Can't get much more durable unless you get into the semi-rugged systems like a toughbook.... and you'll be carrying around more weight and it'll be a much lower configurations.. and cost much more money.

3) How much does the 2nd battery cost (in canadian dollars), I cant seem to find it anywhere?
    A: They'll be like $140 USD.... what's that like $160 CAD? All accessories typically don't come in until about a month after the first shipment... so we might have them in 2-3 weeks.

4) How much extra battery life do you get from the 2nd battery?
    A: The main battery is a 6 cell (most are getting 3-3.5 hours).. and the Optical Bay Battery is also a 6 cell.... same power rating..... which simply means double the life.... if you're getting 2.75 out of the main battery - that's 5.5 hours... but if you're getting 4.0 out of the main - that's 8.0 hours.

5) How bad are the viewing angles?
    some people said things about how they can be viewed good at certain angles and bad at other angles)
    A: It's a tablet and the covering over the screen of any tablet will reduce the viewing angles and lower the overall brightness of the backlight. It's as good as any other 13.3" screen - which by nature aren't great... but they're still very good.

6) Is their a video of someone useing this tablet that can be found on the internet?
    A: I'm sure someone made one and posted it on youTube, but I can't see a reason why this would help in any part of your decision making... as seeing a screen through another camera lense certainly sucks..... and size wise, dimensions are available, so just making a mockup out of paper out cardboard should help you in an visual sort of representation you may be trying to make...

7) How good is it for games, like the ones below?
    - GTA2 (this one should definatly work, but just gotta hear it from one of you guys to ease my mind)
    - Mafia
    - Battlefield 1942 (desert combat must run)
    A: Integrated Intel 950 graphics..... they're not bad... about as good as the best notebook dedicated graphics of only a few years ago... but there are obvious limitations compared to the new dedicated vesions..... You don't buy a system with integrated graphics for gaming - although it's possible to play just about anything on a system with the newest integrated chip.... just as lower levels.

8) Has anyone used a dual boot?, preferably useing some sort of linux
    i'm in compsci
    A: Using a dual boot on any system shouldn't give you any sort of issue.... and that certainly goes for this unit. I'd only be concerned of driver issues within Linux for the digitizer - and if you have that covered - I can't see much of a problem at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good link. I'm shocked that FEAR gets the green light. That game brings my fairly new dual core desktop with an X800 ATI to it's knees.

I actually am not a big game player, but maybe I'll load a few of them up to help me when I'm bored.

10. Creole

Creole Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question concerning an A4/widescreen and nightvision. I'm not sure if any of you are astronomers, but one of the requirements for my next purchase is to run my telescopes. My big concern is, will nightvision mode cover the entire screen (i.e. all red and no white borders).

If any of you R1F owners have any astronomy software with a nightvision mode, I would really appreciate it if you could take a gander. I'm also interested in the software operation with a pen. A pen with planetarium software sounds like the ultimate application.

If any of you are interested in trying some free (and great!) astronomy/planetarium software to check screen coverage, AND open up a whole new universe, here are a couple links:

Completey Free and Rocks!
    Carte du Ciel: http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Free (with basic star catalogues) and great planner:
    Astroplanner: http://www.ilangainc.com/ASTROPLANNER/

I appreciate any feedback. Thanx!

Peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.