Questions About Fujitsu Lifebook T5010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by parsec, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parsec

parsec Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I ordered a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 on eBay for digital sketching and artwork. I got a steal on it, 50 dollars plus shipping. The only issue is it doesn't come with a Hard Drive Caddy or HDD. So I actually have a few questions:

1. will any standard HDD caddy work? I haven't been able to find any anywhere on the internet, so that leads me to believe if it fits, it works.

2. if my version is not the dual digitizer version, can I put a dual digitizer monitor in it later? I wouldn't see any issue, although I'm unaware if connections are different or anything of the sort.

3. I'm already aware I can upgrade the processor since it is socketed. I would imagine since they are only 60 dollars, the core 2 duo P9900 would be a good idea at some point. This laptop can handle that, right? I mean it's the same socket and everything, just slightly higher wattage. (I saw someone wanted to put a Core Quad in the laptop, and that would be sweet. There was also mention that the T900 motherboard is compatible. Is this speculation or truth?)

All help is appreciated!
    -parsec

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good choice for the T5010, very hard to beat its functionality for the low prices that you can get them now.

1. What HDD caddy do you mean, the standard main HDD or the modular bay where you can install a DVD drive, second battery or second HDD?
    The modular bay uses standard SATA connectors so you just need a HDD caddy that physically matches to the connectors.

2. The dual digitizer version of the T5010 came out quite a bit later. Not sure if the mainboard/connectors are the same. I had both versions but never took them apart that much. If you find out that you really want a touchscreen, it would probably be easier and cheaper to buy one of the successors, the T900 or T901 are also relatively cheap to find.
    It is easy to find out if you have a dual digitizer even before you get it. The active digitizer-only version has a flush screen where the front glass goes from edge to edge. The dual digitizer has physical bezels so that the LCD sits a bit deeper. Active digitizer is therefore actually better for using the pen at the screen edge.

3. Can't help you with that. There is some information floating around in these forums and elsewhere in the web. Heat could become an issue with better CPUs and as a result also fan noise.

If you buy the hard drive, get a SSD. Generates less heat and therefore less noise in general. If you sketch in silent areas like a library, class etc. try out RMClock to downclock the CPU manually. The older Core2Duo CPUs have the advantage over the Core i-CPUs to offer full manual control. I used that when I was in a library so that my T5010 would work fanless.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    parsec likes this.
  3. parsec

parsec Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, by HDD I meant the main caddy. I actually have a couple spare laptop drives that should work fine, but I'm unsure whether any of my caddy's will work.

I figured the connectors might be different. Touch isn't a huge deal, as I can always use the normal tools for moving and rotating canvas. Heck, since it is a tablet PC, might as well lock rotation and move the tablet instead. That eliminates the need for canvas rotation (almost).

I figured there wasn't a whole lot available on that. I know for a fact that the laptop shipped with a 2.8GHz core 2 duo at some point, so it could handle that for sure. However, I wouldn't figure a step up would be a huge deal. In any case, I'm just looking to the future in that area. If I ever need to upgrade the T902 might be cheap by then.

Thanks for the response!

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the main HDD bay you just plug the bare 2.5" hard drive in. There is a metal piece with some padding that you put on top of it to fixate it, that's it.
    The T9600 2.8GHz was actually the best CPU it shipped with.

parsec likes this.
  5. parsec

parsec Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah ok. So I don't necessarily NEED the caddy, it's just extra padding that's there. I could fashion my own or modify one I own to fit I would suppose. I never found any caddy for the main bay anywhere, so I was worried. The laptop comes in today, so if I have any other questions I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help!