Question: Which Tablet PC does Bill Gates use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by nightalon, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightalon

nightalon Pen Pal - Newbie

I currently use a CX210X and a Tecra M7. I'm curious though: which model of the many available does Gates use? I found a pic online: www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20011109S0007. I can't identify the tablet though, and it doesn't seem to be a convertible. I'm sure he switches a number of times a year anyway. Does anyone have any clue? I can't find the answer on Google!

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

He uses a Motion Computing LE1600. How much RAM, hard disk space, or what applications he has installed could be anyone's guess. ;)
    The "How I Work: Bill Gates" article on CNN shows Motion's signature power button and battery pack (black part across the top) in the picture. Also to the right, is the convertible keyboard that is used to dock and hold the LE1600.

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't be fooled by what Gates says, uses or does.
    He is a businessman more than a computer geek.
    I am sure he neither writes the software nor manufactures the tablet pcs.
    Ofcourse he uses the technology to his advantage and is good at marketing.
    I waited till now to get the tablet. His programmers (not he) have worked out the bugs in the new programs.
    I guess we have amnesia for the blue screen of death!
    Yet we tolerated and accepted the crappy OS for decades.
    Hmmm...I wonder why? Perhaps good marketing?
    So , lets not be fooled again about what type of a tablet he uses.

Ask the users what their experience has been with the various tablet pc's.
    By the way , Gates did use a Gateway tablet at the last tablet pc microsoft business summit in 2005..per Gateway website. ...and this is NOT the reason why I bought a Gateway CX210X convertible.

4. nightalon

nightalon Pen Pal - Newbie

money.cnn.com/2006/03/30/ news/newsmakers/gates_howiwork_fortune/

was the link I meant to post. Thanks very much for your quick response! I know it really doesn't matter. Bill Gates has less and less reason to care about his bottom line these days, though. I imagine he will become more and more of an industry commentator and less of a businessman. Thus, if he still believes in Tablet PCs, his perspective on the industry might be useful.

I also didn't buy the Gateway for that reason. It was the only Core 2 Duo tablet with solid discrete graphics at the time. I definitely like the Toshiba a lot, although for different reasons. The Gateway has battery life and good graphics, but the Toshiba resolution, tablet, fingerprint scanner, DVI port on replicator, and overall build is just sturdier, even if it's harder to change hardware.

5. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Gates probably uses Ubuntu. He is shrewd and smart about picking an OS that stable, fast and dependable. :eek:

[​IMG]

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have no idea what this weird rant is about. You seem to have some axes to grind with 'ol Billy. Hopefully you actually know his history before going off the deep end.

He was BTW, THE prototype geek. MS exists because he thought he could write the best version of Basic (for CP/M I believe) and went ahead to do just that. He started as a coder. Smart business man, came a lot later. If anything, he is way bigger hands on geek than the likes of Steve Jobs.

And I do remember BSOD as well as GSOD of Macs. Most BSOD is driver/hardware based BTW (usually memory problems from my experience). The fact of the matter is, things have improved dramatically in the last 15 years for both camps. There are tons of things I've cheerfully put up with in both PC and Mac side 10 years ago that I would not have the patience with today. We really have it good today.

7. cosmic

cosmic Scribbler - Standard Member

rember he is the second richest person in the world just cause it looks like one type it's probly somthing compleatly different under the hood

plus he did not invent windows he bought the idea from some poor sap in the midwest for like $25,000 but he did invent licencing software and thats how he made all his money

8. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

cosmic,

You posted a reply about three minutes between each other; if you wish to add an addendum to your previous reply, next time click the "Edit" button on the lower right and add in your additional comments. Thanks! :)

--
    Also, it was more like $50,000 for QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) that Paul Allen (one of the three co-founders of Microsoft) who negotiated QDOS from Gary Kildall who later had something to do with Novell. But I won't delve further into the history of Microsoft/the Computing World. If you wish to delve further, please keep in clean, guys.

9. cosmic

cosmic Scribbler - Standard Member

still whatever the amount taking 50,000 dollars as an investment and turn it into 1 billion dollars ; that guy who sold it must still be banging his head against the wall

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you actually bother to read what SimsHsai mentioned above?

At the very least a little common courtesy in replying would not have hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.