Question from an engineering student

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by skisteven1, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skisteven1

skisteven1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know of a good way to take notes for engineering classes and the like? I prefer to type directly into OneNote or something, and use the pen only for drawing diagrams and things of that nature.

However, I find that most of my classes are of a highly technical nature, to the point where I constantly need to use symbols such as:

∝,∑, ∏, ∫, ∇, sigma, nu, mu, etc etc. In addition to sub and superscripts...

Does anyone know of a good way to do this from the keyboard? or am I destined to take all my engineering notes in ink?

2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I too am an engineering student and have horrible handwriting...but due to the technical nature of our classes, I have to take everything in ink.

I would be very interested in a solution that would allow me to insert symbols, super/subscripts, fractions, etc. easily into a document. Anyone who has taken a multivariable calc class knows what I'm talking about - those funny things. Speaking of which, how the heck do they insert those symbols into the published books?

3. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

I've resorted to inking pretty much all my notes. I really don't see how/why you guys type engineering notes. If you're reallllly diligent you could ink them first and type them out later. There was some discussion in these forums about the equation writer in the MS education pack. I'm not sure how many symbols it can actually interpret but it seems worthy of at least a try for all the equations engineers have to go through.

4. skisteven1

skisteven1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone here have any experience with the education pack? Or could you reference me to where people were talking about it?

thanks

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can obtain information and the MS Education Pack FREELY here. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. fishmahn

fishmahn Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not an engineering student, but is there some way to get all the necessary symbols on the character map applet, then keep that up in a corner of hte screen & copy/paste as needed?

Just a thought.

Mike.

7. P8RSON

Why not use the one that comes with Windows?
    Click Start » Programs » Accessories » System Tools » Character Map.

Look here for further information.

8. fishmahn

That's the 'Character Map applet' I was talking about :)

Mike.

9. P8RSON

When you say you want to keep all the characters in the top of the screen... could you give further info on this Mike!

10. fishmahn

I'm sorry - I didn't clarify well enough in my original post...

I'm offering it as a suggestion to the OP and others' issues of having the math symbols quickly available.

If the character map applet can display the symbols (I don't know if they're even available), then you just keep charmap on the top, bottom or side (place it similarly to the tablet input panel - or however you decide to do it) of your screen and its quickly and easily available. You may have to resize things instead of having your note app (Journal/OneNote/etc.) full screen.

Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.