Question from a new slate owner

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by chumanji9, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chumanji9

chumanji9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wish I read up some of the thread before I bought mine...could have avoided the screen issue. Anyway here is a few more questions
    1. what is the metal ring that came with the pen for?

2. When I use the dock, I notice there is no Sound from slate's speakers. Its probably meant for use with an external speak, but can I still enable the slate's own speaks when dock?

3. Where does everyone stores there pen?

4. Anyone tried fixing the screen separation issue?

5. Is there any recommended screen protectors and case?

2. IndiUser

IndiUser Pen Pal - Newbie

1. That can be used to remove the nib of the supplied pen

3. unfortunately, not within the Slate itself, so, need to find an alternative yourself. In my case, I found the pen clip very useful.

5. Samsung Slate Stand Case seem to be very popular (AA-BS2N11B).. but, this is not available anywhere now..

3. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

2. Right click on the speaker icon and select "Playback devices". You'll need to select the internal speakers. NOTE that if you try to play audio through HDMI, you'll have to do the same thing - select the HDMI audio. You should only need to do this selection once.

5. There is a separate thread on screen protectors. I've used Zagg's Invisible Shields on my phones and PDAs - so I'm thinking about getting one for my S7S. However, I'm concerned about how this might cause problems with using the digitizer pen (I use that for handwriting during meetings). Since I use the stand case, I'm only concerned about protecting the screen - the case protects the back (except when the S7S is in the dock).

4. Nicholas Rishel

Nicholas Rishel Pen Pal - Newbie

My personal experience is that screen protectors are now unnecessary. Guerilla Glass solves the scratched screen problem.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HA! as if! gorilla glass is still quite easily scratched or broken, besides I don't think the S7s has Gorilla Glass... anyways I digress, Gorilla Glass is nothing more than a branded type of chemically hardened glass, it isn't some mystery material that can have a 400lb person stomp on it, or withstand a 100mph fast ball thrown at it, or even simply be in your pocket with your keys! Its just solid glass. Take a look at this link CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS google search the name of any of those products with the words " broken/ scratched screen/ glass" and you will get hundreds of thousands of hits, and if you read them you'll see many seem to happen just as easily as anything else (people putting their devices in their bag or in their pocket and something simple like keys or whatever scratching it up, or a minor drop cracking the screen severely)

Honestly its getting a bit tiring to have this discussion come up with the release of practically every new 'gorilla glass equipped device'... it is just friggn' glass, if you want to ensure good screen quality then you NEED to put a protector on it, otherwise something is liable to happen to it eventually. Gorilla Glass is just a way overhyped thing that has nothing really special behind it (kinda like Velveta) so get over it

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...kinda like Velveta...>>

...Ha, ha...

But seriously, you'd better watch out for Kraft. They'll be coming after you...!

7. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

True, I already got a 7mm nick on top corner of my S7S, and my iphone have got numerous scratches on the front, forcing me to finally put a screen protector on it. However, I do say GG is a lot tougher than normal glass. The glass on the back of my phone have way more scratches than the front, and that back one is normal glass.

Anyway, Gorilla glass is largely a superb marketing campaign, though i do think it is more scratch resistant than normal glass. Still, you should get a screen protector.

8. Nicholas Rishel

Nicholas Rishel Pen Pal - Newbie

Agent 9, referring to the idea of a stronger glass, not a particular product. I fully understand why that could be confusing since I did name the brand. :)

I, however, have had no issue with my current phone, keys and all in my pocket. So my personal choice is to forgo a screen protector, at most using a folio instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.