question about the 'updated' Vista version of R1F

Discussion in 'Asus' started by justakid, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justakid

justakid Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for the last couple of weeks now and figured that I should join and ask questions I have instead of waiting for someone else to ask them heh...

Hope these haven't been asked/answered yet as I haven't found them...

Q1. From what I have heard the 'newer' tablets which come with vista business now have a mix of active/passive tablet, that it works with an active wacom pen as well as non active devices such as your finger etc.

Is this true, and if so how is it when you are writing with the wacom pen? Is it an issue when the base of your hand grazes the screen? Or does the wacom pen deactivate the passive input.

Q2. Does anyone know if the R1F's 'tablet' is connected to the rest of the system via an internal USB interface?

Q3. should I wait till the refresh? :) J/K I know it's a personal thing and that the wait could be till the 3-4th quarter...

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

1.) When the screen digitizer senses the pen is within a few centimeters from the screen, it will disable the touchscreen (or passive digitizer). Thus, a grazing of the screen with a fingernail while the pen is almost touching the screen; the pen generally has a role that supersedes any action by touch. However, not all Tablet PCs are coming out with this option, just a few to note: Lenovo X60 Tablet PC with MultiTouch/MultiView XGA option, Motion Computing LE1700 with WriteTouch option, Gateway E-155C, and TabletKiosk's Sahara i440D.

A special note about the Motion Computing LE1700 with the WriteTouch option, it does not use a Wacom active digitizer, it's using another digitizer which incorporates both active and passive digitizers. If one were to use the pen from an LE1700 w/WT on a regular LE1700 with a Wacom active digitzer and vice versa, they will not interact with the screen.
    2.) I think it's more of a serial interface.
    3.) The new Santa Rosa platform is due to release next month, however Tablet PCs will receive this new platform upgrade anywhere from two to three (or more) months after it is released. Since Asus has not released a date of release for the refresh model of the Asus R1F, it may come out anywhere from late June to maybe early September - just estimating the release date, but I'm predicting it will be there before the Christmas tree goes up. ;)

3. justakid

Thank you for your response SimsHsia.

Regarding your response to 1) is it simply stating the possibilities for the R1F? or is this a feature of the R1F (writetouch type option).

regarding 2) do you know if there is any way to find this out? I heard it was a usb interace.
    Regard 3) I think I'm going to have to get one soon instead of wait...

4. ddc

ddc Pen Pal - Newbie

The current R1F with Vista Business is active-input only.

5. SimsHsia

1.) Like ddc states, the R1F does not have both digitizers - just a Wacom Penabled active digitizer - no passive, touchscreen, digitizer. I apologize, as I did not clarify whether the R1F has both or just either one. Only the ones I have noted above do (Lenovo X60 Tablet PC with MultiTouch/MultiView XGA option, Motion Computing LE1700 with WriteTouch option, Gateway E-155C, and TabletKiosk's Sahara i440D)

2.) It could be either way, Serial or USB, its dependent on the manufacturer. I've found, through Wacom, that it uses a Serial interface, here (toward the end of the page; under Custom LSI).
    Also found many sensor boards, looks like it goes either way UART Serial or USB, here. Again, it ultimately depends on the manufacturer on whether they choose a digitizer/sensor board with a Serial, USB, or both interfaces.

3.) If you feel the need to get the R1F sooner rather than later, so be it, it's of course your decision. :)

6. justakid

thx for the responses all. I remember reading something (I believe it was on this forum) where someone stated that they had intentionally purchase the 'older' version as the new R1F (that came with vista bus) would have dual input...

Again, thx for the response.

Just one more thing - does anyone know if virtualisation is enabled on the R1F? I read somewhere it was disabled... Sorry I haven't given any links.. don't have the exact sites I read them on.

7. SimsHsia

Never heard of an R1F with a dual input, but certainly a possibility with the refresh model.

As long as you do not get the Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz T5500 processor; any of the other processor numbers (T5600, T7200, T7400, etc) have the Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) option in the BIOS setup. It's disabled, I believe, by default, but can be enabled.

8. justakid

thx again for the response Sims. Would you mind testing this for me? I read that it can not be enabled..that it is greyed out