Question about tablet functionality

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Concentrate, Nov 26, 2007.

1. burnt_asparagus

burnt_asparagus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

I'm seriously considering buying the T4220. The demands of school call for a laptop!

I've been reading such great things about the T4220, but there's no way I can get any first hand experience with it before I buy it. Nobody in Vancouver seems to have the T4220 out as a display model! :mad:

I'm mainly interested in using the tablet to edit class notes. A lot of my class notes are in pdf form. Will I be able to edit these slides by drawing in extra diagrams/pictures in tablet mode?

Will I be able to similarly edit typed Word documents in tablet mode? Do I have to use OneNote to do this? I've heard there have been some issues with printing from OneNote (pages break strangely) as OneNote documents are not meant to be printed.

Also, would I be able to design powerpoint slides in utilizing the tablet functionality as well? It would be awesome if I could draw diagrams on my slides.

When it comes down to it, I'm trying to assess whether a tablet would even be useful for me. Right now, I don't plan to take my class notes down on the tablet instead of paper (if I have the option of writing my notes on paper). Like I said, editing notes would be the main purpose of the tablet.

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To answer your questions, PDF-editing is mainly software-limited - any tablet can do the job, provided you have the software for it. PDF Annotator is a good PDF-editing program that many of the forum users would recommend (I don't edit PDFs much - prefer Microsoft's MODI format).

Microsoft Office 2003 and up supports inking, so you can edit them in Office itself, in both laptop and tablet mode. Of course, in tablet mode you're not going to get the benefit of a built-in keyboard (unless you have an external one) so you'll be doing non-ink editing using the Tablet Input Panel.

As far as I know, Office 2003 supports ink drawings, so you can add ink diagrams in if you please. I've done this on occasion when using a mouse proved arduous (even if it is a Logitech mouse, LOL).

Of course, note that all this functionality is actually software-limited; any tablet would be able to do all of this. For the best pen-based tablet experience I'd strongly recommend a tablet with an active digitiser, such as the Fujitsu T4220, Lenovo X61 or Gateway C140X. My personal pick would be the T4220 of course, but this is largely subjective =)

If your budget allows, a tablet PC is probably the best way to do note-editing, but if you're looking for cheaper options I'd suggest an external pen tablet (i.e. Wacom series) since digital note-taking doesn't seem to be a pressing need.

I'd strongly recommend trying out digital note-taking if you do decide to go with the tablet; it's a whole new experience being able to manipulate what used to be static ink, and there're screen protectors out there to simulate writing surfaces from paper-like textures to glass-like smoothness. you might even be a digital-note convert! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're in Vancouver, go to the UBC bookstore and they have a Lenovo x61T on display. Try it out before you buy the fuji, and see if you think a tablet would be useful.