Question about LCD hinge rigidity (lack therof)

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by smithn.nc, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithn.nc

smithn.nc Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I'm a new TM2T owner upgrading from an oooold Toshiba M200. One of the things that caught me off guard after buying it, is that the LCD hinge doesn't stay put nearly as well as the m200's does.

On my Toshiba, I can open and tilt the screen back, and anywhere I stop it, it'll stay in place until I move it again. On the TM2T, if I tilt the screen back any further than maybe 125 degrees, the screen usually slips from there to completely folded back.

I mostly wanted to check in and get others' opinions whether my hinge is normal or not. Is this par for the course on this laptop? If this isn't typical, I want to make sure I get it fixed before my refurb warranty runs out.

2. smithn.nc

Hm, I did want to update just to be a little more accurate.

Now that I check it more closely, the point where the screen hinge stops holding the lcd in place is probably aroung 140 degrees, not 125. Still not as good as my old tablet though, so I'm still very interested in knowing if this is normal for a TM2.

3. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Hi, it's normal. Once you tilt the screen back to a certain degree, it just slips.

4. smithn.nc

Hi there, thanks for the reply. That's a shame, kind of. I was almost hoping it was something that could be repaired to work better. Ah well. Thank you again. :)

5. Cyanopsis

Cyanopsis Pen Pal - Newbie

normal? I'm not sure. I can turn it maybe 170 degrees until it slips, i.e. almost all the way.

6. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here, almost the entire way before it slips into tablet mode.

Though my friends TM2 SU7300. was very nasty on this matter, felt almost like it was entirely loose. 100° and it was like falling backwards.

7. Pegot

Pegot Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmm...mine is tight all the way forward and back. And it's been in use for over a year now.

8. Thom4s

Thom4s Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine was tight too, it slipped into tablet maybe the last inch or so (which it is supposed to do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.