Question about EliteBook 2740p

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by LINM, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LINM

LINM Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi to all,

I'm attempting to switch back to Windows from my other platform. My interaction with HP support via email over the weekend has been a bit frustrating, as I can't seem to get a straight answer from them. I have a 2740p that I purchased used. The recovery partition is not present at the moment. I purchased a set of recovery disc thinking I would be able to restore the machine to factory defaults.

1- On previous HP systems, the recovery disc had a system image inside that repartitioned the drives and restored everything out of the box. This "restore" disc from HP does not seem to do that, as there is no hp_recovery partition. It seems like a plain Win 7 Pro install disc and an "App and Driver Recovery disc". For those of you that made recovery discs from the machine itself. Do those discs restore the hard drive to the same state as when you bought the machine (including the partitions)?

2- I have been reading the forums for a bit trying to find another straight answer: my 2740p has a BOE (Hydis) screen that is reported as a boe08A0. According to some reports (and to the vendor) this is supposed to support multitouch. However, on the "Pen and Touch" control panel, there is no pane for Touch. So is this panel support touch or not? I have tried the Wacom drivers from the site with no luck.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,

LinM

2. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't see the point of a recovery partition if you already have a Win 7 license; there is no real value (in my experience) to much that HP clutters the system up with.

You can download a legal copy of Win7 and activate it using your purchased key, which I would guess is the key associated with the 2740p. This has been documented elsewhere in these forums. This way you get a clean installation without all the cruft; any drivers you might require are available directly from HP or Wacom.

I did this when I upgraded to an SSD with no issues whatsoever.

3. LINM

LINM Pen Pal - Newbie

I understand your point about the recovery partition, however, I don't carry the CD with me at all times and having the recovery partition is a convenience and another safety net. I have the HP supplied recovery disc. But it does not reimage the system to the original state, hence why I am asking for input from someone who may have used their discs created with Recovery Manager.

Cheers,

L

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm the expert you've been asking for. Had my 2740p for almost 3 years. Tempted to grab the revolve but I need to hang in there for a couple more months.

My monitor is /SEC, which from what I remember is touch. The best way to find out is to look at the product number which should be located at the bottom of your machine.

HP pre-installs the recovery partition at the factory but doesn't allow users to re-install the recovery partition. I am assuming it is to prevent some sort of piracy. I've tried to find a way but there isn't a way for a user. Having said that, as mentioned above, HP puts too much bloatware in the machines. It is better for you to clean install only what you need, then your recoveries and backups won't take very long.

I am currently using EASEUS todo back up free to create images of my harddrive. It allows you to boot in the EASEUS todo back up recovery to reinstall the machine. If window doesn't start up, then you can use a USB to start the recovery program up. EASEUS is fairly quick and takes approx 20-40 minutes for me to recover all programs and drivers. (Acronis was pretty fast about 20 minutes or less for windows 7)

I chose this program because it kind of allows you to recover if you can't log in, but I realise that if windows can't start at all, then I'd have to use the USB (recovery image) to start, which isn't a problem. Oh and it's free. Does what I need to do.

I used to have acronis (paid) when I had windows 7 and this program was similar to HP's recovery where you press F11 and it will boot you in to recovery mode before windows even started, but I refuse to pay for the latest version and the one I have doesn't support windows 8.

5. LINM

LINM Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I ended up sending the EliteBook back to the seller for an exchange since I wanted touch (the whole point of buying the machine was to take notes using the Wacom pen and testing Win 8)

As far as the recovery, thank you for the sensible explanation. I wish the HP person would have been as straightforward since the information he referred me to spoke to Recovery Manager (which even though it can do backups, is not installed with the HP supplied discs) The outsourced HP tech support rep kept on reading from the script but didn't take the time to understand what I was trying to ask him so I decided to give up and contact the seller instead. They (HP) kept on saying that all models are touch (which I know they are not) since they referred me to the pdf which specifies "selected models" :rolleyes:

Once I get it back I will try EASUS as well. I know HP bloats their machines up but based on my experience with the DEC z557, this Elitebook was anorexic by comparison in terms of crapware.

Cheers and thank you (and everyone else who contributed) for jumping in.

LINM