Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 Initial Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Like the Microsoft SQ1/SQ2/Snapdragon 8cx, I would love to see the clocked up version of this in the next Surface Pro X.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

With the realities that so many of the necessary apps will be emulated from x64 to ARM, I simply don't think any SD888 tweak/ variant will cut the mustard for laptop roles since they demand similar price as Intel Core devices yet comes no where near the expected performance levels while emulating.

I think executing native ARM code, SD888 is plenty capable. We are no where near that for Windows laptops. Its still X64 dominant world. A successful ARM SoC for Windows will need to increase X64 emulation performance by about 2X to be viable.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The 888 has one high performance (X1) core, 3 mid-performance cores that haven't evolved much in years, and 4 low-performance cores. A laptop version should have at least 4 of those high-performance cores to come anywhere close to Apple's M1, which uses 4 high performance Firestorm cores with its 4 low performance Icestorm cores.

I mean, hell, the 888 gets blown away by the iPhone 12, let alone the M1.

[​IMG]

(The M1 gets about 1700 single-threaded, and 7500 multi-threaded).
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?q=Apple+M1

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I keep telling everybody that Qualcomm is not interested in taking on Apple A series on directly. They will keep up to a degree, but they design their SD SoC for ~5W TDP and about 70% of transistor density. They are squarely aiming at Android phone market and don't care about potential laptop market. Even A series are more realistically 7~10W and beyond SoC, and M series are 10~20W SoC with way more cache and transistor density.

BTW, Have you not noticed that Qualcomm don't even tweak their top of the line SoC for tablet specific applications? They are just promoting the same phone version for tablet use. While Apple will have X variant of A series for iPad use, Qualcomm don't even care about catering to tablet market. It's just interested in phone market.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah when you dig in to those test results, you have to wonder what Qualcomm's real plans are.

To Apple's credit, the M1 is most definitely not just an A series chip with a 15 watt TDP. It is truly a purpose built chip.But they have been doing these real significant variations for awhile with the IPad Pros for instance with the a12Z.

Perhaps it's because Apple has the approach of "we have this forthcoming device that needs to meet these performance goals, so we need a chip to go with it" versus Qualcomm's 'we built this new chip, now you guys build new devices around it".

To that point we are hearing rumors now that Samsung will be going away from Qualcomm towards their own chips for the successor to the Tab S7 and possibly future Windows devices too.

And of course I think there is a lot more under than appears at the surface (pun intended) to MS news about building their onw chips.

Of course the cynic in me also wonders if they aren't just making noise now to follow the fashionable trend that Apple has set.

All of the above does make me slightly hopeful both in the direction of Windows X and even within x86 world, efforts like the 4.8 watt TDP Ryzen in the pipeline. I think AMD has a real opportunity to grab some devices that might have been Lakefield destined, but when the initial results on that chip came to light, got shelved.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the cynic in me also wonders if they aren't just making noise now to follow the fashionable trend that Apple has set...>>

I wonder the same thing. When you consider how many times Microsoft has either talked about a capability / product or introduced a capability / product, only to walk away from it later, it makes it hard to believe their sincerity...