QtPacker Package Manager. The last dvt_check you'll ever need to run (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by mp035, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

Just one question before I do anything.

I have resetted my machine to factory settings and do not have any software installed now. You said the new update that can be found in your earlier post is only valid if you have QtPacker installed. But, the QtPacker.zip file that you put in the first post has disappeared. Could you please upload it again? Or do I just install the qtpacker_update.zip file?

Sorry for asking so many questions and many thanks!

2. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi lroncero,

If you have restored to factory, you will need the full package from post 1. I haven't finished that yet. I will get it done shortly and post back.

3. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi lroncero,

I have updated and restored the link in post 1. It should now be fine to use.

If you have the time, I would be happy to receive your feedback on the changes. All applications listed by default are specifically designed for the EeeNote. Anyone interested in console utilities from the optware feed will have to enable it by editing /opt/etc/ipkg/optware.conf and removing the hash (#) at the start of the file.

Thanks for your time. :)

4. lroncero

Hi mp035,

I am sorry to say that nothing happens now...

I downloaded the Qtpacker.zip file, copied dvt_check and the "install" folder into the main root of the microSD card.

This is how I have installed other applications in the past and it worked fine.

This time absolutely nothing happens.

For your reference, here goes the info from my device:

Boot loader: V1.0.4
    Firmware: V1.0.14.118 (It is the Taiwanese one)

Any ideas?

5. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi lroncero,

Yes, I know what's happening. Pbarette has come across this before. My script looks for the existence of the qtpacker binary, which it then uses to decide whether you have the program installed. The factory restore does not clean all files, it leaves the binary but cleans the launcher config.

Thanks for your patience. I will look into this and post an update shortly.

6. d.goryachev

d.goryachev Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi mp035 :)

I have big question now - is it safe to install packages from Index of /feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ now?

I'm trying to port fbreader for Eee Note (as replacement for native one, fbreader looks like much better choise - he supports epub, fb2,rtf?,chm? and many other formats). It's requiring many third-party libraries, majority of which exists in Index of /feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/ repositary. Actually i've already compiled it, but fearing to brick device :)

QtPacker is already installed and works, but there is one strange thing - if I click on "Package sources" radio button, deselect some (or all) checkboxes and returning back, to "All packages" - it displays all packages, absolutely all, including ones from deselected sources.

7. etienne

etienne Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes this is a really annoying thing. Well it was. I think it's a good idea for now, because unexperimented people could do bad things to systems. Actually with libraries and binaries conflicts.

You have to modify manually (with cutenote or nano) this file /etc/ipkg/optware.conf and remove #

I think there's probably a way with ipkg command line, but I don't know much about it.

Do you think that there's aren't missing libraries. It would be very nice to have fbreader. Sadly, optware doesn't have graphicals interfaces apps or libs.

Hope I helped other people

:)

8. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi d.goryachev, etienne and lroncero,

I have updated the install from post #1, it should now work for both upgrades, and new installs. Developers should note that it will always disable the optware repository.

@d.goryachev: I have fixed the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues that caused lrochero to brick his device, but as pbarette stated, the packages in the optware repository were not designed for the eeenote. I chose to use it because there are many many libraries and utilities we can use (as you already understand) saving many hours of chasing and compiling sources. The optware repository is designed for NAS devices rather than PDA-style devices. I cannot guarantee that another package will not brick your device, but if you would like, I can try your application on one of my unbrickable devices.

@etienne: thanks for your understanding and insight, I released this application without fully appreciating the audience. I am working on the code to easily enable sources without resorting to text editors, but for now, the easiest way to do it is to install the consoleq application (available from the pbarette repository), and enter the following 2 lines into a terminal:
    Code:
    /usr/local/eTablet/remount.sh
    echo "src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable" > /opt/etc/ipkg/optware.conf

Thanks for your understanding on this. I have disabled the optware repositories for the exact reasons mentioned. lroncero highlighted the issues for non-developers.

@lroncero: thanks again for taking the time to try my app. You should now be able to use the link in post #1 to reinstall qtpacker.

9. lroncero

Hi mp035 and all,

I successfully installed Qtpacker. The only applications that I have been able to see are the ones from Pbarette´s repository, plus a Djview.

I installed this last application (Djview) and a new icon appears in the menu by the name of "DjView". It just does not work at all. When I open it, it just shows a blank page, and three buttons on top: a folder (open), zoom in and zoom out. Tapping in the folder opens a window but cannot see any directories and the program just closes itself.

I already have Djview4 from d.goryachev´s post and it is working perfectly.

The rest of the applications that I have installed are working perfectly.

Would it be possible to include the other apps that have been ported also? From the top of my mind:

Cutenotes
    EEEmail
    Gaint
    Nedit
    QIviewer
    QGoogleTranslate

And maybe Hypernote as well.

A million thanks mp035. I am always very willing to try new things on the device. I cannot program, so that is the only thing I can do to help you guys.

I

10. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi lroncero,

I'm working on locating and packaging the other ported applications. It is taking some time, since I have to do the following for each package:
    1] Create the correct file structure.
    2] Script all installation steps, including linked library files.
    3] Script all uninstallation steps, including removal of settings and cache files.
    4] Test each package to ensure it doesn't break the EeeNote.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that the version of DjView in the package repository is the original Asus version. I'll be adding d.goryachev's version soon.

pb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.