QtPacker Package Manager. The last dvt_check you'll ever need to run (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by mp035, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gallochri

gallochri Pen Pal - Newbie

After "ipkg update" it works fine, fantastic!

2. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I have corrected the problem that requires running "ipkg update" from the command line (the "Update" button at the bottom of the screen was supposed to do that).

I have uploaded the changes to the same place as post #1.

For those of you who have already installed the package manager, I have uploaded an updater here:
    This link was updated 22 Oct 2011 @ 22:36 Australian EST. It is currently ok to use.
    freeenote.org/downloads/installs/qtpacker.zip
    22/10/2011 - EDIT: The above link now points to the install file. A separate update is no longer required.

Just run it the same as the original installer and it will replace qtpacker with a newer version.

Please try the newer version and confirm in this thread that the update button now functions (you should see some text about downloading package files and not get any errors.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I just tried the QTPACKER update. I works great. Now I can actually see a list of applications; I thought of installing XPDF. I pressed "install" and the installing process began to run. After that, the package manager showed that my EEENOTE had XPDF installed. I quit the package manager and tried to find XPDF to try it but could not find it anywhere in the main menu.

Then I thought of opening Cute Explorer to see if it was located somewhere else. When I tried to open Cute Explorer it just stood there and nothing happened. The same occurred when I tried to open the book reader.

So, I decided to restart the device.

Result: it got stuck at bootloader.

Solution: I went to the thread by that name (what to do if stuck at bootloader) and now I have to find a screwdriver to open the device and do as it says. I have not done that yet.

My question: have I done anything wrong? why might it have happened?

Firmware: v1.0.14 rtm Build 118 TW (I use the Taiwanese firmware. This is the latest one. I tried to install the new one but the eeenote sync said I had the latest firmware.

The good thing is that I did a backup of all the files.

Any suggestions or comments will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Luis

4. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi lroncero,

First of all, you will not see any icons from xpdf. As the description says "No X11 support" this means it is a console only package. It is simply a set of command line utilities for dealing with pdf's. However it should not have caused your system to brick.

I tried the same package on my Eee Note with the exact same result. I will try to find what is stopping the bootup and get back to you.

5. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Ironcero - mp035,

That's the danger of using a package that wasn't designed with the EeeNote in mind.

The optware installation modified the "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" variable and added "/opt/lib/" to the beginning of the search path.

It appears that [xpdf] has a dependency on the [libstdc++] package. Since optware doesn't know that we already have that library loaded at "/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9", ipkg downloaded it and installed it into "/opt/lib/".

It appears that the version of "libstdc++" that ipkg installed is incompatible with the EeeNote, since apps are now calling that one instead of the EeeNote native version found in "/lib".

Since you're now stuck at the bootloader, you don't have very many options:
    1] Open the EeeNote to get the internal SD card. Mount the ext3 partition on a linux system and delete the libstdc++ files found in /opt/lib/. Put the card back into the EeeNote and reboot.

2] Use the emergency recovery tool on a windows system to reload the firmware.

Option 1 MAY work and should restore your EeeNote to proper working order without loss of data.

Option 2 WILL work, but all your data will be lost unless you have a recent backup.

I think we should change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH variables and place the optware paths at the end. This MIGHT fix the problem in the future.

pb

6. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi pbarette & Ironcero,

I agree with everything pbarette has posted above. However, before opening the Eee Note, I would try one thing. Put the following text into a file named dvt_check on the root directory of a micro sdcard:
    Code:
    unlink /opt/lib/libstdc++.so
    unlink /opt/lib/libstdc++.so.6
    rm /opt/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9

Insert the card into your Eee Note and reboot it. If the Eee Note boots up, remove the card, and delete the dvt_check file.

Libstdc++ is not ususally used by many console applications, I have a hunch it is being called by the launcher. If this is the case, /etc/profile will complete and remove the conflicting libraries for you.

I will try this solution tonight and report back.

I will alter the path variables in the install script to place the libraries at the end, I agree with PB that this should solve the problem, however some packages may not work.

Unfortunately we do not yet have enough support for our device to have our own collection of libraries and utilities yet, so we are stuck with optware.

I am also working on a package source selector for qtpacker. In the mean time, I will disable the optware repository in the install script. If a user wants the utilities, it is likely they will be able to re-enable it themselves using the console. This will stop the confusion for people who "just want apps"

7. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Further, I have quarantined the 2 links above until this is fixed.

8. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

@lroncero: I tried the solution in #16 on my Eee Note which I deliberately bricked in the same way you did and it works.

No need to open your Eee Note, or erase it!

9. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

Thans a million to Pbarette and mp035 for your help. I did what mp035 suggested and did not have to open the device.

Honestly, for users like me with no idea about programming, the interesting part is to have certain applications that might make the use of the eee note even better.

If you could come up with a list of applications that we can install directly in the eee note through your package manager, it would be great. Otherwise, and please note that speaking from ignorance, I do not know how to utilise your program.

I must say that I really appreciate the time that you have spent in this. I tried to install QPDF because I would like to have a better reader. I just did not know which programs can be installed and which ones cannot.

Very appreciated.

Luis

10. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

@ lroncero, I understand your confusion. I have further updated the package manager so that by default, only the Eee Note specific software sources are enabled.

Please use this file the same way as previously:
    freeenote.org/downloads/installs/qtpacker.zip
    22/10/2011 - the above link has been updated to point to a single install file. A separate update is no longer required. The install package will either update or install. All users: NOTE that this fixes the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH problems that caused lroncero not to be able to boot. Also note that previous updater links in this thread all point to this newer file.

Would you be so kind as to try it and report back if it is less confusing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.