Q704 Throttling -- Any Fixes?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sartonnis, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sartonnis

sartonnis Pen Pal - Newbie

I found deal on a Q704 with a battery keyboard for $350 and have been using it for the past week now. The screen's great (though a bit too slippery for drawing) and the battery life is amazing.

However, the performance is insanely disappointing because of all this throttling. I've been running a few benchmarks like Cinebench and have had it score half as much as Ivy Bridge ULV chips! It's even apparent in general browsing, with web pages stuttering and locking up while scrolling through them. I'm honestly glad I didn't pay the $2000+ it cost on release date, because I would've felt massively ripped off.

I was considering the Yoga 14 (AES, would need a new pen), HP Pro X2 612 (very awkward port placement unless you flip the tablet), or an X230t (only 1366x768 res) at this point. The Q704 was the cheapest out of the four at the time, and now I can see why.

Is there any way at all to bypass this throttling? I wouldn't even mind the stupidly loud fan if it at least did its job properly. The CPU slows down all the way to 800mhz at times to keep temps at ~65C. The heat wouldn't even be a concern for me as long as the performance was there, which it isn't.

If there's any feasible way to fix this stupid issue, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'm just going to send it back for refund.

Drawing in Sai and Photoshop has also been really awkward because of how inconsistently the tablet has been registering stroke pressure, or registering the pen at all. I'm not sure if it's the overly slick screen or these performance hiccups. If it's the former I'd gladly get a matte anti-glare screen protector for a bit more grip/texture, but as it stands it wouldn't really be worth it with how slow this thing is unless it can be rectified.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Sorry, I doubt there is a fix for manufacturer modded throttle limits. You can try using throttle stop and checking to see if by chance the settings arent locked in BIOS... but beyond getting lucky with that (or trying to unlock the clock quickly with Intel's XTU) I would send it back for refund.

3. sartonnis

Welp. That's what I feared. Tried messing around with XTU and throttlestop but with no luck. In the process of refunding it now.

I'm looking at the T902 and T734/T732 now since they're surprisingly dirt cheap (~$275 for a brand new i3 T734 in particular and ~$400 for a T902), though all this talk about the T902 pen glitch has me worried about it as a hobby artist.

Still, anything would be better than the Q704 at this point. What a shame.

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Is there a "cradle mode" in the Fujitsu Function Manager like the Q775? That should make the throttling behavior less aggressive.

5. sartonnis

Toggling cradle mode made no noticeable difference in performance, if at all.

6. stoneseeker

Any Fujitsu convertible T series will be fantastic for drawing and painting. The T902 is both the most powerful and also the riskiest due to the cursor glitch that plagues some more than others.

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

stoneseeker, I think your love for the T902 is clouding your judgement. The T series have plenty of faults: the rather large gap between the glass and the LCD that creates parallax; the edge drift that exists in all mid-range Wacom EMR products; the fan noise; the bad speakers; and the relatively low resolution displays in some models.

While there aren't better Wacom EMR devices out there (except the Cintiq Companions, maybe, who have their own hardware issues), there are some very compelling non-Wacom-EMR devices that trounce the Fujitsu offerings in most categories.

8. stoneseeker

To each their own of course, but I have tried drawing on every new notable device (with the new ntrig or EMR) with the exception of the Canvas, and i still feel best drawing on any EMR unit (CC2>T902>etc) . Parallax on the T902 is not bad at all when you've gotten used to that aspect of EMR. Even my Cintiq at work has it and its a non-issue except in extreme cases. The value of response time on EMR for drawing is invaluable. Ntrig still lags behind even in the newest Surface book and Ssriface Pro 4. Besides, your not gonna find a better device to draw on in the range he is finding those devices in ($200-$400 range used).

bad speakers and fan noise certainly never stopped me from drawing up a storm on my unit, and 1600 x 900 is perfect res IMO, although I got nothing against 1920 either. For his needs, I still think EMR units on the cheap are ideal.

I have yet to try Wacom AES, but from watching videos I can say it looks inferior and similar issues to Ntrig when it comes to just fast drawing and response.

EMR has been serving artists since the beginning and I still think it is the top choice for drawing and painting priority.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    ATIVQ likes this.
  10. sartonnis

I ended up getting a Thinkpad X230T, an i5 model with a backlit keyboard for $150. Threw in 16gb of ram for another $50 and now it's pretty great. The low resolution isn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, though it does make things a bit more cramped when drawing. It doesn't seem to throttle at all, so it's made a world of difference compared to the Q704. The screen isn't slippery like the Q704's was either.

The battery life sucks though. I can barely net 3-4 hours on a good day, compared to the Q704's 7-10 hours. That and the resolution are the only things I miss from the Q704. It could've been a great little device if it didn't have those heat issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.