Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's terrible. Interesting to see if this eventually does get fixed or if they will just keep the aggressive clamp on. Kind of insane how essentially it seems to me false advertising if you get a product that never reaches advertised speeds.

2. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

And now let's hope that the T904 will reach full performance.

3. cothek

cothek Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this may answer our questions:

That is straight from their website.

4. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for digging that up. We can only hope someone will order the cradle dock and test.

Remains to be seen how much and if that allows the tablet to at least reach the performance of the surface pro 2

But even if it is the case, the performance as tablet and with keyboard dock remains vastly inferior to the surface pro 2 in the same config,

And the surface pro 2 is a lot smaller and more compact, so if they were able to manage almost full performance in the SP2 it is disappointing that Fujitsu could only manage half of it in the 12.5" Q704...

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, in my battery tests on the SP1, which has a higher TDP than the SP2, it was able to stay turbo boosted for the entire life of the battery at 100% utilization (so long as I didn't also have WiFi transfers constantly going at the same time). I don't understand why the cradle should even be necessary for max performance.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Making it sem-rugged may have something to do with it. SP2 has a large vent and doesn't sell with a "waterproof & dustproof" spec. 704 is sealed tight and probably is a lot harder to cool i-core in that environment... Still lame, but it may explain the aggressive thermal clamp.

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree, unless it has extra fans and connecting vents with the tablet that open up extra ventilation like the helix dock has, it would make no sense.

If the cradle does not actually provide any extra ventilation but does enable full power, the question will be how is that setup and can we force that settings on the other configuration

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Good points. My guess though is that it is a firmware problem... or at least I hope it is. The dock doesn't look like it adds any ventilation, and, from the reports, it sounds like the fans are going at max speed even at relatively low temps. I have a feeling like something is wrong with the firmware/drivers that are tricking it into thinking it is overheating when it is not. This would (I think) explain both the fan noise and the bad performance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  9. cothek

cothek Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if any local retailers have any of these components? It would be really helpful to be able to grab this stuff and try it out without having to ship everything around.

10. Mesosphere

I think not yet. Generally Fujitsu isn't distributed through the usual consumer channels like best buy and such.