Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasAn

ThomasAn Pen Pal - Newbie

I am now convinced to cross Q704 out of my list. Awesome on paper, but not in practice.

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

@ HoyaNM47, When you go to choose a power plan, after you select the plan, can you select Change Plan Settings, then click Change Advanced Power settings, and go through all the individual plan options, to make sure that those relating to performance are indeed maxed out, especially the Processor Power Management ones.

Beyond that, I would think you want to get with Fujitsu support on the phone and Email to clarify what is going on, and to confirm if it would behave any differently with the desk cradle dock...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Teemu

Teemu Pen Pal - Newbie

So if I understood these results correctly, i5-4300u version performs better in both of these modes than i7-4600u. Seems that thermal issues make i7 totally pointless, regardless of the mode the tablet is used in.

4. cothek

cothek Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure if it will help but I asked the "Performance Dock" question on their Facebook page hoping to get a response. Maybe if a few others chime in we can hear something official.

Fujitsu Facebook

5. HoyaNM47

HoyaNM47 Pen Pal - Newbie

scrambler,

I had done that already.

I've given up on this product; both are going back. For the price of these units, they should be perfect. It's crazy to charge $3000 and ship a unit with the loudest fan I've ever heard and performance that is way below par. Too bad, it looked so good before I actually got the units.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Have you tried SpeedFan or some other similar software? I guess if the performance is a problem for you it is probably going back anyway. My only worry is the fan noise though. I only need bay trail level performance out of it (and that's what I would buy if it existed in this screen size).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. scrambler

Although I can understand the frustration, I would have at least contacted Fujitsu to get their side of the story. This is a brand new product, they may be able to fix some things :)

8. HoyaNM47

HoyaNM47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I contacted Fujitsu. They escalated to their upper level tech support folks. The response I got was "Well, I guess it was just designed that way." They said that the fan, which is so loud on both units that it can be heard through a closed door, was "keeping everything cool." As for the performance, they had no idea what I was talking about and said that Geekbench is not a supported piece of software.

9. scrambler

You should tell them give me the benchmark of your choice and I'll show you the tablet is at half the performance of other systems with the same CPU.

And tell them the word is getting out and potential buyers are dropping their buying decision :)

10. DrCheap

DrCheap Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. Those scores are horrifyingly bad. I mean, just wow. And the CS response is not encouraging.