Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

1. DrCheap

DrCheap Pen Pal - Newbie

2. ThomasAn

ThomasAn Pen Pal - Newbie

I would suspect if it didn't downthrottle so aggressively the battery wouldn't last more 4hr, given that now we know the fan is running all the time. Sounds a bit discouraging to have a CPU step down so much to Atom level performance while still having the fan running a lot and yet the temps are relatively high at 65-70 degrees. Can't imagine what the temps would be at full throttle, or the battery life. I seriously hope the unit is from a premature or bad batch and not indicative of the final product.

3. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I see there are more test run now on the site
    4600u - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser

I suppose we have HoyaNM47 to thank for that :)

It is too bad that the site does not allow for some comments on what the difference was between the various test.

The top one now is a bit better at 2254 for single core and 3203 for multi core, but it is still significantly below the top score for that CPU
    @HoyaNM47 You had mentioned that in your power plan you were set for "Low performance" which would definitely explain the throttling.

Have you tried to run a test with the power settings on max performances and plugged in ?

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

yea, it sounds like in the effort to reduce fan noise HoyaNM47 made some pretty significant changes to the power plan and is keeping the CPU manually throttled to half speed or so. If you were to reset the power plan settings, and then run the unit plugged in in high performance setting, also maybe setting the HD4400 driver to performance mode under the 3D tab in the intel graphics interface as well would help with a couple of the tests run.

5. HoyaNM47

HoyaNM47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Here are a bunch more results:

Plugged In, Windows Power Plan "High Performance" @ defaults, Fujitsu High Performance processor setting, BIOS at defaults: FUJITSU STYLISTIC Q704 - Geekbench Browser

Plugged In, Windows Power Plan "High Performance" @ defaults, Fujitsu MEDIUM Performance processor setting, BIOS at defaults: FUJITSU STYLISTIC Q704 - Geekbench Browser

Plugged In, Windows Power Plan "High Performance" @ defaults, Fujitsu LOW Performance processor setting, BIOS at defaults: FUJITSU STYLISTIC Q704 - Geekbench Browser

UNPLUGGED, Windows Power Plan "High Performance" @ defaults, Fujitsu HIGH PERFORMANCE processor setting, BIOS at defaults: FUJITSU STYLISTIC Q704 - Geekbench Browser

More to come...

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. HoyaNM47

7. ThomasAn

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to put those up.
    Secondly, WOW, no matter what you tried the unit could not achieve 4600U performance. These results knocked the wind out of me ... getting i5-4210Y (Venue11 pro) performance from a 4600U cpu is rather disapointing.
    I don't know what to say. If the performance was actually matching its CPU potential I was actually psyching myself up to fork the money for this to be my next tablet. Not any more, unfortunately. Unless, there is something off specifically with the unit you got.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. HoyaNM47

9. ThomasAn

Exactly brother. This is so weird since the Surface Pro is 4200U. I would be furious in your place and calling Fujitsu about this.

10. HoyaNM47

The i7 has already been set up for a return. I have an i5 model coming that ships on the 10th.

The sad thing here is that the screen is the best I've ever seen, the build is excellent, and the system really is the total package. It's just the fan and the speed that are problems.