Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdTittel

EdTittel Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you please describe the level of effort involved in tearing down the keyboard dock, and putting it back together sans counterweights? Also, do please let us know if any special tools are required for the job. I've not yet ventured inside the dock, but looking at the exterior I see only conventional Philips-head screws. If you have any photos to share, that would also be great. Thanks for sharing this information. This might be enough to persuade me to keep the darn thing, though I'm almost decided to sell it and get a Surface Pro 3 (or its Broadwell replacement) instead.
    --Ed--

2. salgod

salgod Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally got fed up with the fan noise and sent my Q704 (with the i7 and max ram) to Toshiba to fix. Took them about a month to send it back to me. When I got it back, they had replaced the fan and parts of the side case. I noticed that the fan was much quieter, and didn't engage at max speed so frequently, it actually tapered up and down. However, they had reset all the throttling crap (which I knew right away because I use resource hog programs). So, I went back in and removed all the throttling nonsense in the bios and in the power settings. Then I started noticing that flash player was stuttering when I had multiple (and I mean MULTIPLE) windows open, which irritated me because even though they bottle-necked this machine with 4400 Intel graphics, it should still be able to do everything that I want. So, I cleared the cache in flash, and disabled pepperflash plugin in chrome. Now? NOW? This machine is a BEAST!! The fan is super quiet, just purrs along. Even at full speed the fan is MUCH quieter than the old fan. The speed-taper of the fan means that it will run until it cools, then slows down. Since the CPU doesn't throttle down with the heat anymore, my programs run seamlessly even while multi-tasking. I still haven't figured out how to make the display port work on the actual tablet, but I'm working on that. Overall, I am finally happy with this tablet. It is versatile, gutsy, and has a huge screen. All Fujitsu needs to do now is release a driver that will allow for external resolution greater than 1920 x 1080. The 4400 is crap, but it can go higher than that.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

Great news for the Fujitsu Q704 users. I used the Stylistic Q704 during the MasterYourBusiness.com Project and experienced the noise/performance issue, I reported it to Fujitsu Europe that worked on the issue and have resolved it.

The fan update utility which makes the fan more silent is available here: http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/downl...wareGUID=A8C3FF03-DDB7-4DE8-AB08-2191916C7ADB
    It works very nice, actually the Core i7 Q704 Waterproof fan noise is comparable to a standard notebook.

A performance update is available too, with DeskUpdate. After refreshing all drivers the performance will increase.

4. Ozma

Ozma Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I got Q704 about 2 moths ago. I've googled and tried about everything and I'm really frustrated of this machine.

Problems so far:
    - CPU throttling to 800Mhz when CPU temp rises somewhere between 63 c - 70 c and it doesnt stop it until the CPU temp is below 56 c
    - Cradle HDMI and VGA signal disconnects randomly with our without KB+Mouse in USB which is pretty annoying
    - Random graphic glitches with MS applications (word, excel, lync, outlook)

I have core i7 version (non rugged). Could somebody (who has figured out how to get rid of throttling) tell me correct BIOS / Windows settings? I tried different combinations but I didn't manage to rung y-cruncher without throttling to 800Mhz in CPU load. I've also updated all BIOS/FW versions and drivers - no help with this problem. I tried to learn from this topic but didn't manage to get any help yet.

Has anybody had problems with cradle? Should I send it back and request new one?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Throtteling and fan noise... yep sounds like Fujitsu. No suprise.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

6. dschad

dschad Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I'm kind of getting interested in this machine a bit (trying to decide between T732, T734, T902 and now maybe Q704) but the fan and over-heating/throttling seems to be a bit of an issue with this model.

But - does this problem only afflict the i7 versions? Do the i5-4200's have this problem also? Does it only occur during heavy usage or routine, less rigorous usage? And finally, does the bios update solve all these anyway?

Thanks.

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Yes, you could choose the "Power Saver" power plan and change the plan's advanced power settings so that the "System cooling policy" is "Passive" and the "Maximum processor state" is 50% or lower. That should limit the CPU to 800MHz at almost all times and keep it cool. The downside is that performance is similar to an Atom processor at that state.