Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oztabletpc

oztabletpc Tablet PC Since 2003

Since this seems to have become the official Q704 thread, I picked up an i7, 256Gb, LTE model yesterday and thought I would add my 2 cents!

First impressions:

My first 4 hours were spent with the Q704 downloading apps, setting up Office 365, synching mail, skydrive etc and plugged into the wall. Pretty intensive activities and man did that fan roar! A bit disconcerting... Following on from that though, things settled down. Spent another 4 hours in tablet mode, off power and on the forums here, watching youtube videos, researching and generally consuming content, but very intensively. Not a peep from the fan at all! Phew!

System was set to power saver at first, but switched over to balanced to check that out... ok. Then to high performance... and there goes the beast! Being a brand new unit with 1.18 BIOS I can only imagine that they have addressed the fan issue somewhat.

Personally, a bit of fan noise at the desk doesn't bother me as long as it's quiet when I'm using it in tablet mode, and so far that's been good. Clearly to achieve the IP rating on this tablet Fujitsu have combined the fan intake and outlet and it's just a bit more noisy doing it that way. Having sat through an engineering demonstration of the Surface Pro fan by Panos Panay, I can vouch for the fact that the Surface dual fan design is far superior from a noise and performance perspective, but it could never be IP rated at all... It also is problematic for rugged and protective case design. So either way there is a compromise.

That said, battery life has been fantastic. Four hour undocked browsing, sharing and video session this morning took the tablet battery down to 33%. So 6 hours does not seem a stretch from the tablet, and another 6 hours from the keyboard should be possible. Of course that would vary wildly depending on the task at hand.

What I love about the Q704
    - Beautiful 12" screen. Really impressive. Since I'm not under Apple hypnosis I don't need to crap on about pixel per inch. It's high res, wide viewing, crystal clear, big and bright, but it is glossy and a bit prone to fingerprints. Touch feels really nice and smooth on this screen. Wacom pen glides across very nicely. Feels great!
    - Fingerprint reader - essential for a serious tablet IMHO
    - It's slim and relatively light as a tablet
    - Great battery life so far
    - Inbuilt LTE (don't hold your breath, it will never come to Surface)
    - Water and dust resistant
    - Keyboard features - USB3, HDMI, Ethernet and VGA all inbuilt.

What's not so great:
    - Battery keyboard is far heavier than I expected. Thinking about the slice keyboard instead.
    - Fan noise - It's been said. Think I can live with it.
    - Standard Wacom pen (like all of the current Wacoms) is too small and has only one button.
    - No HDMI or VGA on the tablet - I hate dongles!

Could this be the all in one tablet / laptop for me? Probably. I do have to say that I really like this tablet, and I personally don't evaluate tablets solely on price. But that is just my opinion and it has been well stated here that there is no solution that suits everyone. My alternative to this tablet is the Motion R12.

However since I do a lot of training I'll need to get a new Actiontek VGA / HDMI miracast device to replace the need for VGA in most conference rooms that I encounter. Currently my Netgear HDMI only solution works in about 20% of boardrooms since they don't have HDMI.

I'll need to do a bit of video editing in Adobe Premiere to see if some of the performance issues that have been mentioned here are resolved to. But, so far, so good.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. lexptr

lexptr Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly! I've been very excited once Q704 was announced but now, when it is finally got to our stores - I don't really consider it as option. Here it costs as about 3 (three!) Surface Pro 2 256GB. It is very expensive. Of course, it has several strong points: bigger screen, dust/water sealing, pen silo, keyboard included. It also imported officially in my country as opposed to SP2 which found only on a grey market. But still three times - it is too much. And I would think about it if not the performance problems. It is only on par with SP2 when it is docked and much worse undocked. And now SP3 is coming... Sad story. I think they should make kind of "performance" variant. Be it without water sealing. Like their smart card variant. Because I think they lose a lot of potential customers due to bad price/performance ratio.

3. oztabletpc

oztabletpc Tablet PC Since 2003

One thing that was bothering me about the Q704 (apart from the fan noise) is the incredible weight of the battery keyboard. At about 1.3kg, it just didn't make any sense... The pre-production unit that I saw did not feel this heavy.

So I pulled it apart and found over 200 grams of what looks like zinc coated lead weights... which I have now removed. It overbalances when you push the screen right back at an extreme angle, but I works perfectly at the average screen angles that I use. So my Q704 with keyboard is now at a comfortable weight range, under 2kg. It is now back in an acceptable weight range for an ultrabook!

I'm finding the Q704 to be a really convenient device. I just installed a 4G Telstra SIM card which is brilliant and fast.

I use the Q704 in meetings, in the car, on planes and in the office mostly. Fan noise is not a problem in those environments. But it can be pretty poor in bed when I'm trying to quietly browse the web and the fan kicks in. A shame really that this is a blight on an otherwise fantastic device...

4. Gottex

Gottex Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    Does the Q704 really that bad compare to SP2-SP3 for example ? Waterproof and SmartCard have almost the same price in my country, so what would you say ? Bad performance ? I've read some reviews and many people are not happy.

e.g.
    I personally compared the Q704 against an MS Surface Pro 2 and found quite the same results. A well configured i5 Tablet like the Surface Pro 2 is faster than the i7-Tablet Q704. And even more, although all of the hardware specs of the Q704 is same or better than the Surface Pro 2, it’s slower. According to geekbench, Surface Pro 2 has 50% more power!?
    What the heck has Fujitsu done to make the Q704 so slow?

It seems Juan is on the right track and Fujitsu made something wrong with SpeedStep. When I turn it off, the Q704 is definetly faster, both on AC and battery. For instance real life Applications like Corel Painter x64 will start on battery and SpeedStep ON in 20 seconds and SpeedStep OFF in 8 seconds. That’s pretty much of a difference.
    In Corel Painter X3 and SpeedStep ON painting with impasto on coarse paper is a pain. It’s slow and the tablet has problems to come up with my brush strokes. With SpeedStep OFF, it paints quick and easy :)

That’s all cons to the Q704, but there are enough pros on the other hand, to stay with the Q704 compared to Surface Pro 2:
    - by far bigger panel
    - therefore no poor upscaling to 150%
    - fingerprint sensor
    - better Wacom digitizer (esp. on the edges)
    - and last but not least the 4G capability (none for the S2P!)

I’m now experimenting with another BIOS setting, hardware power management (under misc. configurations). By default it’s turned on and settings for AC and battery are ‘middle’. So I set it to ‘Long Battery Life’ for battery, and I think it’s not getting as hot as before and the fan is running not as often as before. Give it a try.

One futher hint: The Digitizer pen of the Surface Pro 2 is much better than the one of the Q704. It is more comfortable to work with – and – has a eraser tip on the end, that you can configure through system config. And it’s much cheaper (half price).

5. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

From all the discussions here, it looks like the main issue is cooling. The Q704 has poor cooling and therefore gets threshold aggressively.

At this point the comparison is no longer with the SP2 but the Surface Pro 3.
    The SP3 has a similar size panel, Excellent cooling. Although it has an Ntrig Digitizer all the recent report from early adopters mention that it is very good.

The one drawback with the Q704 is lack of 4G. If you have a Phone tethering is easy enough or else a wireless USB adapter would be needed.

But the SP3 checks almost all the boxes with a much more friendly price than the Q704...

6. Gottex

Gottex Pen Pal - Newbie

In SP3 review AnandTech | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review they got i5 model and it throttles a lot because of the same problem - lack of normal cooling, guess I'll wait for SP3 i7 review (august?) and finally choose something

7. tw1911

tw1911 Pen Pal - Newbie

Good day! I purchased a tablet q704, set him windows 8.1 from the CD, download the software using DeskUpdate, but the front camera is not functioning normally. I use the app "Camera" from Vindovs 8.1. There are no controls flash and picture moves slowly, big noise, and the files are obtained with a resolution of 1920 * 1080. The driver is installed correctly. Can someone make test shots and take a screenshot of the interface?
    And another question, my tablet has a serial number Q410 ****. But support section at Fujitsu site says it is incorrect. What are your numbers? Sorry for my English.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Heat is probably better with ULV haswell than any previous generation by a wide margin in light to moderate usage. The problem is that manufactures are trying to take advantage of that lack of heat to go super thin. Super thin causes heat dissipation problems and they went too far with it (depending on your prospective). So they are making things thinner and lighter by (in some cases) a wider margin than the heat reduction allows.

Having said that, my T904 is by far the coolest and quietest iCore (or core 2 duo ... etc) laptop I've ever had in my usage (which is relatively light on CPU usage). It can get relatively loud under heavy load, but I rarely push it that hard.

If you need max performance thin and light is probably not the direction to go with current technology.

lexptr likes this.
  9. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't know about the T904, but I would not put the SP3 in the same boat as the Q704. The Q704 has major heat dissipation issue that not only causes a fan issue, but limits its power considerably.

In comparison, the SP3 is almost reaching 50% more power with no real heat problem.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, the Q704 has it worse to be sure, but I've heard plenty of reports about the SP3 putting out a lot of heat under load. The Q704 is definitely warm though even under pretty light use. The SP3's I've played with weren't stone cold like my T904, but much cooler than the Q704 and the SP1 (which is considerably cooler than the Q704 in light use).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.