Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob79

Rob79 Pen Pal - Newbie

The Fan does ramp up more when on DOCK, again just while browsing and downloading the Fujitsu Driver package for Win 8.1 pro it would get quite load. Okay, no idea if this is legit but there are 2 openings on the bottom of the tablet that line up with to vent like openings on the dock. Possible that it does improve ventilation but hard to know. Once I get the driver package back on that will give me the Fujitsu control panel I can check and see if dock mode makes a difference now. Will keep updating as I find new stuff

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Very interesting about the dock. Have you found any exhaust/intake on the dock? Does it seem to have it's own fans?

3. Rob79

Rob79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Back left of the unit gets warm (defiantly not hot) running benchmarks. There does seem to be a fan in the bottom left side of the dock, looks like it is a intake fan. When I run the tablet in high performance mode it gets a worse score then when in balanced. I can not get the side fujitsu control app buttons to work in windows 8.1 pro like they did in windows 7, so I have not been able to try the cradle option with out being docked in 8.1 pro. Will be talking with fujitsu about this on Monday.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Hmm, sounds like the dock does increase ventilation then. Oh well =(

5. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

About the openings in the tablet that seem to match dock ones, are they shut when the tablet is undocked, and if so do they open if you push a pen inside of them (like flipping doors) ?

6. HoyaNM47

HoyaNM47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Since starting this thread, I've been following the discussion and am very glad to see the results from another user (with a dock).

My thought is that the Q704 is a failed product that simply is not ready for prime-time. Since returning my (two) Q704s, I bought an i7 Thinkpad Yoga. The performance is vastly better, the battery life (averaging ten hours of web browsing, word processing and other light use) is marginally worse, the weight is much better (3.4 lbs v. 4.8 for the Q704 with the battery keyboard), the keyboard is much better, and there are no standard-fujitsu-issue software bugs like the management software that doesn't work in Windows 8.1

I hate to say it, because I have been a very longtime user and fan of Fujitsu, but the Q704 is just not a good product. Even worse, it appears that the central failings (crazy loud fan and terrible performance) probably can't be fixed.

Anyway, this s just my two cents.

7. fuji

fuji Pen Pal - Newbie

Does it perform well for writing notes with a stylus?

8. HoyaNM47

HoyaNM47 Pen Pal - Newbie

yes. In fact, I'm writing this reply with the stylus and handwriting recognition.

9. fuji

fuji Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok. Thanks for your answer.

10. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

The next question on this topic if there is still time for testing :), is checking the temperature of the CPU when the fan comes up.

The Lenovo Helix also had some user complaints regarding fan noise, and it turned out that the simple use of TP Fan (a utility developed for ThinkPad) allowed people to considerably lower the fan noise without loosing performance.

I don't know if such utility exist for Fujitsu, but at least knowing if the fan is actually required because of critically hot temperatures versus overly conservative settings would be nice.

Mesosphere likes this.