Q704 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by HoyaNM47, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaNM47

HoyaNM47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm a new member but a long-time reader.

I received yesterday a new Q704 (i7, 8GB, 256SSD, NFC, BT, Intel AC WWAN).

It's fantastic EXCEPT that the fan runs almost all the time, very often at what seems to be the highest speed. It is a loud fan, and the constant running is bad enough that I may return it.

I have set the CPU max at 75% in power settings, and I am using "Low Performance" in Fujitsu's onboard settings software.

I would appreciate very much any ideas.

Thanks!

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

So you are the first guy in the world touching a Q704 and you have nothing better to post that that?
    Really :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
  3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Yeah. Here on this forum it is customary that for the first post we post a pic of the wife holding our tablet by the pool...

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Bronsky and stoneseeker like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Fan issues are quite common in early production units. I would guess this will be fixed in an early bios revision.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Please post pics! How does it perform?

Try using "Realtemp" to see how hot it is getting when your fan is running so much. Hopefully it is plenty cool and the overaggressive fan isn't necessary. In that case a BIOS revision would fix it, but if the unit is hot enough to merit the fan on full blast it may not be an easy fix.

You could also try having a peek at your task manager to see what processes are running when its kicking up, perhaps its indexing files or some process is going rogue and taxing the CPU.

6. HoyaNM47

stoneseeker,

Thanks. I will try that shortly and post the results in the morning.

Regarding the unit, I can say without reservation that it is the greatest system I've ever had (except for the fan). I'm getting 16 hours (with the tablet and battery keyboard) without really trying. The pen is very precise, and it is very easy to use given the silo built into the tablet. While it's a bit heavy, the fact that you don't need to haul a charger or a battery is fantastic.

The screen is gorgeous!

In other words, it's the perfect system, except for the fan.

If you have any questions, please post, and I will reply.

Thanks!

stormi, stoneseeker and ATIVQ like this.
  7. HoyaNM47

stoneseeker,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try this and post results in the morning.

As far as the system goes, it is (with the exception of the fan noise) the best system I've ever had. The screen is gorgeous, the pen is very precise, the calibration for touch is fantastic, I'm getting 16 hours of runtime (from tablet and keyboard battery) without trying to maximize battery, I wish it were lighter, but I don't have to carry an adapter or battery.

Thanks!

8. lwestfall

lwestfall Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for posting your experience with the fan noise. It would be nice to compare the noise to something else for reference. I too hope a BIOS update takes care of it. I guess that's a good sign if that's the only negative thing you have to say about it. It's good to hear confirmation of the high quality of the screen, digitizer and battery life.

Thanks also for being willing to answer other questions. In regards to the digitizer, if you trace a pen line all the way around the edge of the screen in a full-screen note, is there any bend in the line at any point, especially in a corner?

Also I would love to hear what the battery base/keyboard docking station's keyboard and trackpad are like as far as consistency and feel and ease of use. Is there any wobble in the unit in laptop mode? How about flex? How far back can the screen tilt?

Do you have the super-thin keyboard cover too? Based on pictures it looks like it has the exact same keyboard and trackpad only without battery and ports; I wonder if the screen would tip it over with that lighter keyboard cover. A good comparison of the weights and dimensions is shown in this Fujitsu Q704 Specifications PDF.

Supposedly the power consumption automatically ratchets down when the tablet is disconnected from the keyboard docking station, but I wonder if this "feature" can be disabled in Windows power options or in BIOS so you can still keep it at full power in tablet mode if desired. And when it is working at full power does it get very hot?

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your amazing new tool/toy!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. HoyaNM47

Good Morning,

To give a sense of the fan noise, when it is at full speed I can easily hear it from across a twelve foot wide room. It is high pitched, and the sounds travels far.

I am running, RealTemp ver. 3.70 right now. This is an i7 (4600U). The temp is 51 degrees Centigrade. The fan is at low speed, and the CPU load is 16% according to RealTemp and 3% according the Windows task manager. If I start to stream a video from youtube, and temp goes up to about 65 degrees, and the fan starts to run at full speed.

The screen fold back to about 165 degrees.

The pen shows no sign of wavy lines, even in the corners.

I don't have the thin keyboard accessory.

The trackpad on the keyboard isn't great: there is not much travel in the click. But, it's OK. I also thought the keyboard was backlit, but it's not.

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's good news. A BIOS fix could potentially help with that. 65 degrees is nothing. If you run a video game you might see some high numbers. Have you tried setting the fan to passive under power settings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.