Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a couple of questions. Does the Q702 support Windows 8 gestures on the touch screen AND the touch pad? Maybe all Windows 8 touch screen devices support gestures, but I am paranoid about missing features. Also, I guess you got a Windows 7 version since you installed Windows 8 Pro. Was there a Windows 7 restore option? Some PCs come with a factory restore partition that provides for returning the PC to the state is was in from the factory. If yes, what are you doing for a Window 8 restore?

One review I read complained about the keyboard. Said the keys were hard to press and that the touch pad was "rough". Sunds picky to me, but do you have any comments?

Thanks, Jim

2. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

The touchpad does not support gestures. It also does not have scroll regions on the right side and bottom as some other computer do.

There was a Windows 7 restore option and there was a utility for burning recovery discs. Since I replace my SSD I did a clean install. I use Acronis True Image for nightly backups of my data and monthly backups of my system partition.

I've only got one complaint with the keyboard and that has to do with the position of the Ctrl and Fn keys. I'm coming from a series of Thinkpads that have those keys reversed. It's more an issue of me having to get used to this layout. Other than that, the keyboard responsiveness has been fine for me.

I'm not as happy with the touchpad. I already mentioned the lack of gestures or at least scroll regions, There also isn't any acceleration, so drag and drop can be a chore when moving relatively long distances. Now that I'm paying attention, there is no control panel for the touchpad (or keyboard) so there is nowhere to look to change settings.

The dock really is a weak point (though minor) compared to the tablet itself. The touchpad is out of date, the hinge is a bit awkward in the way it raises the keyboard up as the computer is opened, and there is only USB 2.0, even though the slate has 3.0. It also would have been awesome if they'd included the option of another drive.

I've been waiting for the desktop cradle/dock and slice battery to be released, but just found out that they won't be available until June or later. That's hugely disappointing to me. They apparently released the Q702 to accommodate some business and academic customers, but I don't see where the cradle or battery are that complicated that they should take 6+ months to be released. The Q702 is not being discontinued so it just makes the lack of accessories more puzzling.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I was just about to ask you about the Touchpad settings on Control Panel, but it seems you looked for it already. You should contact Fujitsu and find out what happened to that applet. Perhaps it got removed after some Windows update.... Even my consumer-grade TM2 has a Touchpad applet and the ability to enable the scrolling feature. How could Fujitsu omit such an obviously useful feature?!

4. hawkeye62

Thanks for the insight. Do you have any concerns with your purchase? Does the overall experience outweigh the things you don't like? I wonder if Fujitsu might do a redesign of the keyboard in the future?

Where are you making the backups? I use Acronis for my desktop, but I have an external HD that I use for the backups. I suppose I could use an external USB HD for backups of the Fujitsu.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. kneebuster

I checked the drivers page and there is nothing for the touchpad (so it's not just me missing it). I'll reach out to my contact to see what's up.

Overall I'm happy with the unit, though the delay in the availability of the accessories has me less enthused. The only real competitor at this point (IMHO) is the Helix, which doesn't seem to be available yet. If we assume similar hardware (CPU, RAM, SSD) then the advantages of the Helix are the silo and the ability to turn the slate around in the keyboard and fold it flat so that you can use it in tablet mode powered by both batteries. The advantage that the Q702 has for me is the fingerprint reader. I've not had any problems with the N-Trig that would make me prioritize the Helix's Wacom over the Q702. The way that I work, the fingerprint reader is more valuable to me than the silo, as long as I remember to grab the pen when I head out of my office with the slate. I'll be heading to a conference in 2 weeks that will have me taking handwritten notes for full days. I'll have to remember to put the slate into the keyboard during lunch to recharge the slate's battery. That's where the slice battery or the Helix's feature would help.

I have a server at home that I back up to. Occasionally (not regularly enough) I copy the backups to an external drive that I take to my office. I have 2 such drives and rotate them. I do have a hosted web site with unlimited storage space, so at some point I'll migrate to using that for my backup location.

6. hawkeye62

Thanks again for the insight. The Helix is on my list for the reasons you listed. But, it looks like it will be expensive.

Regards, Jim

7. phinphan

phinphan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hawkeye2 - I took advantage of the incredible price at Newegg and bought my q702 (i3, 64gb) for $700 and picked up a keyboard dock from provantage. I got the 14.99 windows 8 pro upgrade from microsoft and have to say this is a great machine. I have a Surface Pro 128gb and a Samsung Ativ Smart Pc 500t in addition to my Fuji T4215 Convertible laptop. Like kneebuster I have an msata 256gb drive to replace my 64gb drive but I haven't figured out how to get the case off yet. This is probably my 6 or 7th Fujitsu tablet pc and so far it is my favorite. I use it almost exclusively for inking and I prefer the 11.6 form factor to the 10.1 form factor of the surface pro. The Samsung and the Surface will probably be sold and/or returned. If the keyboard dock were less expensive ($150) I would think this would be close to perfect. As it stands now, I just keep one charger (the dock comes with another charger) at home and one at work. In my work flow, I meet with people every day and use OneNote to keep all my notes. I have been doing that since my first tablet pc the NEC Versa Litepad back in 2004 time frame. If you have any other questions, just holler.

As far as the upgrade from Windows 7 is concerned, I just backed up the windows 7 onto a flash drive and wiped the hard drive and installed windows 8. There was only 14gb left on the default 64gb install so it was a necessity. Now is have about 50gb left and I may not even do the msata upgrade. For my needs, Outlook and OneNote and Wordperfect, it is enough storage. The only problem with the upgrade other than taking a long time is that I can't get the shock sensor to work correctly but that is not an issue with the msata ssd. Like kneebuster, I really like the fingerprint reader as it makes is very easy to keep it secure and so far has worked great. It is more secure than using a PIN and less trouble than entering the complex password.

8. kneebuster

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. hawkeye62

I placed identical orders with NewEgg and Provantage yesterday! And I had a $30 NewEgg gift card. I didn't know Microsoft was still offering the $15 Pro upgrade, I will take a look today. I agree about the cost of the KB. Why so expensive? My other Windows 8 installations on VMs use about 30 GB, so I don't plan on any storage upgrade any time soon. I do have a 64 GB microSDXC card and adapter for the standard size slot. I hope the slot in the Q702 supports SDXC.

Thanks to dceggert for the tip on the NewEgg price.

Regards and good luck, Jim

10. hawkeye62

I just ran across this on Amazon. One of Amazon's outside sellers named "vsmodecity" has a new, in box, Q702, Model Number: XBUY-Q702-W7-002. This is the i3, Win7 with KB/Dock. I am not going to change my current order elsewhere, but anyone interested would be getting a great deal. And since it is through Amazon, there shouldn't be a problem returning if it isn't as advertised.

Good luck, Jim