Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine came with a rudimentary pen holder. At a first quick glance it involves sticky tapes and may stick out on the back so I haven't mounted it yet.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Please, pictures when you get a chance. :)

3. tabletdummy

Here you are:
    The pen holder has a small tab that goes into a slot on the side of the tablet and 3M UHB tape to stick on the back of the tablet
    DSC04482.jpg

Tablet without pen holder: the slot is next to the wireless switch.
    DSC04486.jpg

Tablet with pen holder roughly in place (tab wasn't fully in the slot yet).
    DSC04485.jpg

The pictures weren't very sharp because my camera all of a sudden had this constant vibration as if the auto focus servo motor went crazy.

4. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

Well that's pretty disappointing (the holder, not your pictures). I'd expected the pen to be held on the side, not the back. The fact that it actually glues on is also kind of bogus. You take this sleek looking tablet and glue a hunk of plastic on to hold the stylus. The engineers really blew this aspect of the design. I may hack up the pen holder (when it arrives) and attach it to a USB plug (with no wiring) to have a removable holder that can be put on the side as needed. The other option is to use magnets. Since the pen is magnetic a couple of small neodymium magnets inside the top edge under the plastic cover may do the trick.

5. e-schreiber

Thanx! If you get better pix of it in use someday, post them, please. I got a good idea of how it works with the tablet, but it would be nice to see it better and from an angle that shows the holder and the whole device resting on a table. :D Hmmm.... I'm not sure that setup would work for me. Better than no silo at all, though. I'm guessing that, once glued with the sticker, the holder stays firmly in place.

By putting it on the back of the unit, it allows the tablet to rest on the holder when placed on a desk, which puts less stress on that little tab. Also, it creates an elevation for the tablet when handwriting on a desk. But I wish the holder had been designed to be attached to the top of the slate when used in landscape mode. I mean, still hidden on the back of the device, but located on the top for landscape use. Well, regardless. They should have put a real silo on this thing....especially given the price they charge for device!

Once you try your hack, post pictures, please.

6. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Q702 has pretty impressive specs, especially the two batteries rated at a combined 79 Wh, but it is not getting much attention. I have no idea about Fujitsu reputation, build quality, etc. I notice a couple of folks on this thread have purchased a Q702. Would someone be willing to give your impression of the Q702, Would you buy again? Any insight would be appreciated.

Still struggling with what to do. Battery life with Ivy Bridge is a major concern. I would be content with a third gen i3. I can't go for a Clover Trail, even with the great battery life.

Thanks, Jim

7. tabletdummy

So far I am pretty happy with my Q702 bought from Newegg. I wanted matte screen, i5 processor, Win 7 OS, and a reputable manufacturer - that narrowed down to Fujitsu pretty quickly. Battery life is not that great as already mentioned in this thread but it's not a problem for my application. It's probably not realistic to ask for high power CPU, long battery life, and light and thin tablet form factor anyway. When I first received the unit there was a small gap in one place where the plastic snap wasn't fully engaged. I pressed and snapped it and hasn't had any issues. Another initial issue was that there was all of a sudden some ghost clicking a few days after I got the machine. Searching on the web for N-trig ghost clicking led to the solution: I downloaded driver updates from Fujitsu web site and installed and let it calibrated the touch screen. No ghost clicking since. I don't have the keyboard dock so can't comment on that. Fujitsu is a good brand. I bought T-730 and was happy with it. Q702 is the 2nd purchase and so far so good. Hope this helps.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Jim,
    The XBUY-Q702-W7-001 is being deaply discounted right now at NewEgg for only $699! If you want an i3 that is the machine to grab. The only reason I can think that it is so low is that it has been discontinued in favor of the W7D and W8 versions which are Win 7 with Win 8 in the box and Win 8 resectively. They will not last long. The only downside I can see is that it is Win 7 and has no keyboard dock.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's a helluva price. ! Wow, might go take a look.

10. e-schreiber

Great price! I hope that was caused by the demand for the Surface Pro.