Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Lol. Yeah, PI= private investigator.

2. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

At the lowest setting in a completely dark room, I can still read the screen, but it is comfortable, not like some screens that are still too bright. Of course if privacy is your concern then this isn't dim enough.

I tend to keep my brightness set one notch above the minimum. I've turned off the adaptive brightness. I've not run a scientific test of battery life but the 4hrs or so I go was in Power Save mode. Other than the brightness the only other settings I tweaked were to set max CPU to 75% and the wireless to max power saving. I did not turn off either radio.

I did get some pictures outside in bright sun today (and at 6200 feet and 23 degrees F it was bright). WP_20130116_001.jpg
    WP_20130116_004.jpg
    These were taken with my phone (Lumia 822) and no adjustments were made other than cropping.. I should have grabbed my DSLR but was too lazy. The brightness was set to the max. It was actually much more readable than the pictures might seem and it wasn't nearly as blue as the photos appear. I put the slate on a newspaper to give a sense of brightness/contrast. Even dropping the brightness down to 50% I could still read comfortably as long as the sun wasn't directly over my shoulder.

Someone asked a while back about the blacks at different brightness settings. I'm a semi-pro photographer and I've been pleased with the screen color and contrast. Blacks are rich and grays are well defined all but the lowest brightness setting

I think this hits all the pending questions. Let me know if I've missed anything..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

4 hours on Power Saver doesn't sound good. Fujitsu advertises 5 hours, but I was hoping they had obtained that number under the Balanced profile. Please, let us know your impressions about the Pen holder once you get it. If possible with pictures.

4. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Another PI question. :) What's the polarization direction of the screen? If you wear a polarizing sun glass, do you see the screen being brighter in the landscape mode or portrait mode?

5. freeky1

freeky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

With my polarized Oakleys on, I see rainbows in almost a magnetic line pattern all over the screen.

6. kneebuster

I'll run an informal test later today. I've got to give a couple of back-to-back lectures running 3 hours total. I've taken the battery out of the keyboard dock and will just run off the slate's battery. I'll keep it on the balanced profile with the screen at my normal brightness setting and the radios on. I'll be driving an external projector and will have a remote hooked up to USB. I'll post up the remaining battery capacity afterwards.

I see rainbows all the time.

7. kneebuster

I ran my test and the results were a bit discouraging. The computer shut down with about 10 minutes to go in my second class. Fortunately I just popped the battery back into the keyboard and was good to go. The factors that likely led to the shorter battery life were that I was driving an external projector through the VGA port as well as using a different view on the slate screen. Both desktops had different background photos and those were changing every 15 minutes. I left Bluetooth on and WiFi was set to medium power. I had a wireless presenter dongle plugged into a USB port. The slate was attached to the keyboard and therefore had to drive the extra ports and circuitry. I forgot to reboot before starting and Chrome was running with 33 open tabs during the 1st class. Chrome is using 5-6% CPU with those windows open. During class I ran several avi/wmv videos totaling approximately 25 minutes. Given all that, the 2 hours 50 minutes I got is disappointing, but not overly concerning.

8. e-schreiber

When I first read Fujitsu's claim of 5 hours of battery life, I thought that was merely a conservative estimate and that the unit, under a more frugal power scheme (such as Power Saver) could achieve at least 6 hours! However, after reading freeky1's and kneebuster's experiences, I think Fujitsu's advertised 5 hours are, in all likelihood, unattainable -- at least on the i5 model. :(

For how long have you guys owned your machines? A forum member who was a Battery Engineer once told us that batteries need to be "broken in" to give better results, but he wasn't specific on how many charges were needed for that.... My guess is a week worth of charges would suffice. Maybe theese low figures are caused by uncalibrated batteries. Any chances your batteries need calibration?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. kneebuster

I don't think that I've ever had a computer or smartphone that got more than 80% of the stated battery life even under frugal use. In this case it doesn't help that Fujitsu advertises different times in different places on the Q702.
    Up to 5 hrs 10 min here http://www.shopfujitsu.com/pdf/notebooks/STYLISTIC-Hybrid-Tablet-Q702-datasheet.pdf
    Up to 4 hrs 12 min here http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-STYLISTIC-Q702.pdf
    I'll also go out on a limb and guess that these times are for the i3 rather than the i5.

I've had mine for about a month and have had it shut down due to low battery twice, which should have taken care of the calibration.

10. e-schreiber

The battery-file claims have always been outrageously off. I agree. But recently (since Clover Trail) OEMs have made more accurate statements. I feel that they are becoming less dishonest regarding battery-life. But like you pointed out, Fujitsu has put out different figures in different documents. :(

On the calibration issue, the battery must be charged fully to 100%, then discharged fully to 0%. This is the reason why the process can be done by:

• completely disabling Sleep/Hibernation, which results in the machine "crashing" once battery is out of juice; or

• booting into Safe Mode where all Windows Power Management features are disabled and the machine will "crash" once battery is depleted.

However, it's clear that the problem here is not calibration, but Fujitsu's misleading figures.