Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawknet

Hawknet Pen Pal - Newbie

The Keyboard dock has no Backlight ? Would it be possible to do some modding, to add one ?

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

USB twist light? That is the old fashioned way to light the keyboard before LED's were added to accomplish the function. Not as sexy as a backlighted keyboard but effective and cheap.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

@kneebuster how do you find the screen on the Q702 in terms of color accuracy, when using Photoshop?

4. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't tried by I would hope the screen is calibratable, no?

5. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

I calibrate mine and find that the colors are really good. The gamut isn't as wide as I'd like, but that's no surprise. Both desks (home and work) have Dell 2408WFP displays on them that are my primaries. That said, I was travelling last week and was confident in the editing I did on the road with the Q702 display, though I did miss the larger screens.

6. bloodycape

I don't have a calibrator, but the comments on the screen notebook check made have me a bit concerned if I go with this model. I think I can deal with the close to average gamut as noting in the tablet market really comes with a high color gamut(beside one or two devices, but those don't really meet my needs in terms of form factor or size). Have you had a chance to look at the display on T732 or the T902 for comparison? How were you able to calibrate the screen?

Edit: anyone know if the MS store carries the Q702 in store or do they mostly carry non-Fujitsu computers?

Edit 2: I called my local MS store, they don't carry any Fujitsu.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. kneebuster

I've not seen the other models to compare. I use the Xrite i1Display for calibration. I had to turn off the automatic control during profiling, but the display driver from Intel allows for adjustment of everything needed. After profiling the tablet and my Dell display I put the same image on both screens. The colors on the Dell were richer, but the Q702 still showed fairly accurate colors, just not quite as vibrant.

8. bloodycape

9. kneebuster

I really can't agree much with their review with regards to the display. Images don't appear "bleak" or "blurred". I work at a luminance of 120, so their max value of 330 isn't an issue unless I'm outside in bright light. By default, the i1Profiler software I use had the gamma at 2.2, but the Intel Graphics Media and Control Panel had it at 1. I tried different combinations of settings but these values proved best. I manually set brightness to -28 (about 1/3 of max), and adjusted RGB values in the Intel panel to -27 for R, -22 for G, and -34 for B. Contrast was at 50 and Gamma at 1.0 for all 3. This gave a White point of 6496 with a target of 6500. Measured White Luminance was 120 with a target of 120. Color temp was sensitive to brightness, but that isn't really a surprise. I didn't check uniformity, but perceptually I don't notice any problems.

They are right about the screen being somewhere between glossy and matte, but I haven't found glare to be a problem except if the tablet is flat on a table with bright overhead lights.

The bottom line is that if you want a machine for serious photo/video editing then this probably isn't the best choice, but then again, it's a tablet, not a workstation. My question for you would be if you are so focused on color accuracy/reproduction then how come you don't have a calibrator?

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

That's why I thought he was over-concerned about this issue. I'm sure he would love the Q702.