Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grimy55

grimy55 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a core-i3 Win8 upgraded q702. My battery life w/o dock is up to 2h30-3h, and only ~5h with the additional keyboard dock.

This is similar to the what is reported in that review: Fujitsu Stylistic Q702 review - reviews for UK IT professionals - V3.co.uk

From your experience, do you know what could make the difference ? Any driver involved ? what settings do you use when running on the battery ?

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't make any changes to the battery settings. I do notice that the screen is not very bright. That may be the difference. BUT, I also have a touch screen laptop with the same i3-3217U. The battery only lasts about 3 hrs and 15 minutes as measured from 100% to black screen. The battery capacity is 38 Wh and it has a HDD which probably uses about 1 watt more power than the SSD in the Q702. Anyway, I estimate power consumption for the i3 with my use pattern at 10.4 watts. That would give 7.6 hours of battery life on 79 Wh combined battery capacity which is just about exactly what I am getting. I believe the tablet has a 34 WH battery. My use pattern of 10.4 watts would give 3.27 hours. The dock has a 45 WH battery which should give another 4.33 hours for a combined 7.6 hours. If you get 2:30 to 3:00 hours with the 34 Wh tablet battery, something doesn't compute if you only get 5:00 hours with both batteries. You may have some setting when you dock the tablet that is giving you the short battery life.

The 79 Wh combined battery capacity and the NewEgg price for the W7 version were the factors that convinced me to go for the Q702 rather than wait for a second generation Win 8 tablet/hybrid.

Regards, Jim

3. hawkeye62

Just a quick addition. At the current time my battery status is reporting 50% left and 4:32 remaining. Just another thought. Do you use the tablet without dock, then put it in the dock when the battery gets low? If yes then the dock is doing double duty, charging the tablet and running the PC. I use the Q702 almost all of the time docked. In that mode the dock runs the PC until the battery gets low, then for the remaining time, the tablet battery runs the PC.

Regards, Jim

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. q702

q702 Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing I hate about this tablet is that it runs EXTREMELY hot. Expect idle temperatures of 50-70C and dont even THINK about gaming or doing anything intensive on this thing. All that power and tech wasted because of poor air flow =/

5. hawkeye62

My i3 barely gets warm. I guess my use pattern is not stressing the CPU.

Regards, Jim

6. q702

q702 Pen Pal - Newbie

The documentation was disappointing. can someone tell me which port on the tablet is USB 3.0? The one by the HDMI or the one by the SD card / AC power?

7. hawkeye62

I am guessing it is the one with the blue internal. I have a laptop that has a similar "color code"

Good luck, Jim.

8. grimy55

grimy55 Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess you're somewhat true. It seems there is an inconsistent battery life time shown on the desktop when removing/docking the slate at will. Will need more testing.

I also noticed that the brightness setting when unplugged was not set to the minimum. Doing so improved my battery life. I also had a slight improvement when upgrading the graphic driver with the last one on the Intel website.

The blue one, as usual, next to the SD.

9. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't noticed my i5 W7 version running hot either. Though my T730 does run hot.

10. hawkeye62

I have upgraded my Q702 to 256 GB ssd. Plus I have installed a 64 GB microSDXC card. No more worries about running out of storage capacity.Thanks to kneebuster for the dis-assembly info and for the tip on the xSATA usb enclosure. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old 64 GB ssd to the new 256 GB ssd. Then I just removed the 64 GB and installed the 256 GB. It booted to Win 8 with no problems. I then used the Windows Disk Manager tool to extend the 64 GB partition to a full 256 GB.

Only one issue. I ended up cracking the cover during removal. No big problem, just aesthetics. I called Futitsu for a replacement and was told that since the Q702 was under warranty, they could not sell me the part. It could only be replaced if I returned it to Fujitsu, cost $230. I think this may be because the stickers on the back case are probably used to verify the warranty. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas about where I might find a replacement?

Thanks, Jim