Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, thanks. Another question. When you installed Win 8 drivers did you install the BIOS for non-vPRO? When I try to install that driver, it fails with some error. (It flashes by too fast to see what the error is.)

Thanks, Jim

2. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Just visited Newegg site: now we need to go to the checkout process to find out the price - crazy! I give up.

3. hawkeye62

I used a DVD R/W usb drive that I had. I think you could use a USB flash drive.

Regards, Jim

4. hawkeye62

Well, I now have my Q702 W7 upgraded to W8 with all of the Fujitsu W8 upgrade drivers installed. One note, after all of the drivers were installed, I was getting a message at boot about not being able to initialize the Shock Sensor. So, I installed the W8 driver for systems that came with W8 since there wasn't a Shock Sensor in the W8 upgrade list. It installed with no errors and I no longer get that boot message.

Now I have a question about migrating from the 64 GB SSD to a larger one. From past experience, I think I will need an external case that plugs into a USB port and accepts an SSD. I have experience with external cases with regular 3.5 and 2.5 inch spinning HDs, but I don't know what to look for that use SSDs. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

5. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

I believe that I used the vPRO version, but I honestly don't recall for sure.

I picked up a USB 3.0 case from mydigitaldiscount.com and put the original drive in it. It's about 3x1.5.0.5 inches and made mostly out of aluminum. It makes for a killer flash drive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. ongmike

ongmike Pen Pal - Newbie

My Q702 came with windows 7, and first I did was upgrade it to windows 8. After installing everything, I noticed that the fp sensor is not working or even detecting at all, anyone else have this issue? I might have got a bad unit so I'll be requesting an exchange soon. I also got 2 docks with it so that I can leave one at the office.

7. hawkeye62

I upgraded my Q702 Win 7 to Win 8 Pro 64-bit. Everything seems to be working as expected except for the fingerprint software. The manual mentions Softex OmniPass, but my Q702 has no such software installed. There is an AuthenTec fingerprint sensor driver installed. The AuthenTec web site has a TrueSuite "starter" fingerprint software available for download.

What are those of you who bought the Win 8 version of Q702 using for fingerprint software? And did it come with your Q702, or did you buy it separately?

Thanks for any insight, Jim

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Under the software area titled Windows 8 64-bit Drivers there is a Fingerprint Sensor Driver and a Fingerprint Sensor (Utility) (the last item in the list). Under the Windows 8 64-bit Upgrade Drivers, which I assume was the source of your updates, there is only the Fingerprint Sensor Driver. Can you install the utility from the other section? To me it looks like it was missed but there may be a licensing issue for the upgrade verses the original load.

9. hawkeye62

I tried to use the Fingerprint Sensor Utility from the non-upgrade list, but it fails with a message about not intended for my system. I called tech support and they say to go to the OmniPass web site. This may be the only shortcoming with doing a Win 8 upgrade to a Win 7 system. I chose to do the clean install upgrade option since I have not had good experience trying to save software, etc. from an older OS.

Thanks, Jim

10. hawkeye62

Quick update. I have a working fingerprint reader. Win 8 upgrade driver list has a fingerprint sensor driver by AuthenTec, and when the driver is installed there is also a link to the AuthenTec web site installed as a "program" in C:\Program Files. The AuthenTec web site has a free "starter" version of TrueSuite which is fingerprint software. I installed the "starter" and configured it for my Q702 login password. Now when I boot or wake from sleep, a swipe of my finger over the fingerprint reader window and I am logged in.

This Q702 is awesome! It is definitely a business class hybrid PC. And at the steep discount for the W7 version at NewEgg, very affordable. And I am getting almost 8 hours of battery life thanks to the KB/Dock battery which brings total battery capacity to 79 Wh.

Thanks and regards, Jim