Q702 shipping with Win7 and Win8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by e-schreiber, Jan 6, 2013.

1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

For the old creatures from the Jurassic like me out there: you can fight extinction a bit longer! I just realized the Fujitsu Q702 -- strangely low key around here (?!?!) -- is available with downgrade rights to Win7 and it "seems" that there's an option to have it shipped with both Recovery Discs in the box (see item number: XBUY-Q702-W7D-001). Maybe it's even possible to have a dual-boot Win7-Win8 setup on the Q702?!

However, continuing with the tradition of the season (ie, compromises), I'd have to give up on having the silo on the slate, since Fujitsu engineers "figured out" that people are more likely to use the Pen when the device is on Laptop Mode.... WTF?!?! :D What's the digitizer on this thing? Probably the new N-trig, which, according to the people on the Duo 11 forum, is good enough for non-artists. Okley-dokley neighbourino! I'd also be fine with an i3 CPU as I use my i5 on Power Saver mode all the time.

Should Lenovo decide to make the upcoming Helix a Win8-only machine, Fuji will get my money! I'll make sure to voraciously read all Q702 discussions from now on!

[sigh] What a beautiful day to be a Pterodactylus.... Flying unafraid.... Dribbling meteors everyday.... ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If you get it, share you experience. I think there hasn't been much commentary because a) it's really expensive, and b) is N Trig. But that doesn't mean it's not good. :)

3. e-schreiber

The fine people on the Duo 11 forum have praised the new N-trig tech. It's not a Wacom, but it seems to be much better than previous N-trig releases. I wonder which digitizer experience is better: the new N-trig on the Duo 11 or the Atmel on the Envy X2? I won't be buying the Q702 anytime soon.... It's costly. If I get it, I'll have to get it off eBay by Xmas......or later.

Money doesn't grow on trees....And Rome wasn't built in a day. :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. Steve B

Oh, I agree that the new N-Trig seems very nice- if you don't use Painter or Photoshop. Much improved. But it was definitely part of the discussion when it came out.

I like Fujitsu, and wish this cost less. Its quite expensive though, considering it's screen resolution and weight. I don't mind 1366, but a lot of others do. Its an odd duck. It combined the more common res of the Atom states with an iCore. It also is heavier as a laptop. I don't mind a 3.5 lb/ 1.25" thick laptop, but I want some benefits for it- better battery life, a modular bay in the base, etc. It offers lots of security measures though, which probably matters way more for the corporate crowd than for normal consumers. And I bet its build quality is way better too.

I'll admit I'm not particularly fond of win 8 either, as a pen user. WAY too many driver issues, pen pressure issues, etc. Win7 is working great, and I don't feel like Win 8 is fully baked yet. I'd like to see Office become truly touch capable and I would like to see better solutions for high res screens on tablets using desktops.

5. e-schreiber

The keyboard weight must come from the extra battery, extra I/O ports (even Ethernet and VGA!), build quality plus the fact the device is 11" size. The Helix will probably weigh about the same. The difference will be in the 0.2-0.4 lbs range, I guess. But I think Lenovo's market weight (world's #1 PC maker) will allow them to sell the Helix at a price more competitive than that of the Q702. If Fujitsu can sell the Q for $1,100, Lenovo can probably price the Helix at $1,000 or less. And Lenovo, unlike Fujitsu, tends to toss coupons on the interwebs quite frequently.

6. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I must be from even earlier than the Jurassic period because this one is still off my list because it is 16:9. I decided the T580 will be the last 16:9 device I will ever own. I do not watch any movies on my TabletPC's but I do work on my books. 16:9 is fine for landscape use like a laptop if you can stand the squished vertical space, but terrible in portrait mode like I am using my Q550 right now. If the Q702 was an I3/I5/I7 device with a 10.1" 16:10 screen with Win7 downgrade rights it would probably be in my hands right now!

7. e-schreiber

To get all stars to align will take a miracle.... :(

8. freeky1

freeky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered a Q702...should be here Tuesday. I will report my findings.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

9. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

I've been using the Q702 for about 3 weeks now. I got an open box i5 unit with the keyboard dock from Newegg for $1144 so I figured it was worth a shot. I installed a 256GB SSD I had and put Windows 8 Pro and Office 2013 on it. For reference, I've had 4 Thinkpad convertibles (X41 through X220) as well as the Thinkpad Android slate. I've also used the Samsung Series 7 Slate, the Asus EP121, and the original HP Slate. I've been reasonably impressed with the Q702 so far. Build quality is really good. It feels solid and of quality materials. Performance is great, which it should be with the i5. In both configurations it is comfortable to use. The N-trig was a pleasant surprise. No vectoring issues as with the N-Trig on the Android tablet. I'm not an artist and have been using the stylus mostly in OneNote. I have Photoshop CS5 Extended installed if there are specific things people would like tested. The fingerprint reader has been a blessing for using a secure password but logging in quickly and easily. Not is all perfect though. The lack of a silo for the stylus is a major bummer. I'll have to pick up the holder that they sell fro the Q702. Fan noise can be irritating at times. IE uses a great deal more CPU time than Chrome and IE caused the fan to run pretty consistently whereas Chrome doesn't. I'm currently watching the Redskins vs. Seahawks on Media Center on the tablet screen while typing this in Chrome on a 24" monitor and the fan running moderately (the CPU is at 28%). I've tried playing the SpeedFan but haven't had any success yet getting the fan parameters changed. By far the biggest disappointment is the battery life. I get a bit shy of 4 hours with solid email and web surfing in tablet mode and somewhere between 6 and 7 hours docked. I'd much rather the slate weigh a little more to get an extra couple of hours of battery. I'm still tweaking settings so I'm hoping this can be improved. Let me know if you've got questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

10. e-schreiber

Could you run the WPrime and WEI benchmarks and report all the scores? You can post them here or at the Benchmark thread.

11. freeky1

freeky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I also purchased a 256GB SSD and plan to replace the 64GB SSD in mine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

12. e-schreiber

Now we know the weight. But how can it cost $400 more than the Q702?!?! Is it made of gold? It surely makes the Q look like a bargain. :(

13. Steve B

Well, full HD screen, 400 nit, longer battery life (asfaik, though that may not be true), ability to overclock i7 when you flip the screen around and use the base unit's fans, ability to use the base battery while using the tablet at the same time in said configuaration, .78" thick total for both pieces combined, plus brand name recognition mean a lot. That seems reasonable for a high quality x-series replacement. They both look good, but they're not the same beast at all e-schreiber.

14. kneebuster

15. freeky1

freeky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't consider "starting at $1500" to be better.

16. e-schreiber

I agree the Helix has an edge over the Q702, but the $400 difference still seems too high. Especially given that Lenovo can mass-produce that thing to levels Fujitsu cannot. I think that's some pricing trick of some sort. They will probably sell it at $1,200 from day one, but say something ninja like:

"Normal price is $1,500! Special price for you (because you look like a nice guy) is only $1,200." :D

I have a personal policy of never paying more than a grand for a gadget. I'll have to wait a decade until I can get it off eBay for less than that. Well, the Helix -- if available with Win7 -- is the closest thing to my "dream tablet". It could be better at 16:10 and 9-10 inches, but c'est la vie.... :rolleyes:

Thanks, mate. I'll update the graphs later today! :)

17. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Is Q702 less than 400 nit? Is the ThinkPad Helix glossy or matte screen? (Q702 is matte, right?)

18. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there an easy way (thinking hard buttons) to adjust the back light brightness for the screen? Maybe re-purpose the volume buttons possible? Thanks!

19. kneebuster

The Q702 is matte, and I believe it is rated at 400. It's plenty bright for everything I need to do.I don't know anything about the Helix screen.

There was no easy setting that I could find. I adjust by tapping on the battery icon, selecting "adjust screen brightness", and then working the slider. Not as easy as buttons but not a real hassle. I have turned off the adaptive brightness as I just find it annoying in some cases.

20. Steve B

Matte is a big deal to some people. 400 nit is nothing to sneeze at either. How's the view ability outdoors with that at full brightness and a matte screen?