Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

The next version of T 580 might have ivy bridge. It is thicker, but still a nice machine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

According to the leaked product roadmap that was published in about March of this year the T580 is at the end of its run. It will be replaced by a new convertible of some sort but will be called something different.

3. loque

loque Pen Pal - Newbie

Took advantage of Newegg's $100 instant discount a few days ago and bought a Q552 ($749 for a 62GB Tablet PC with pen input). Own(ed) HP Slate, Q550, Samsung S7S, Samsung Note 10.1. Now for some quick thoughts so far on this new Fujitsu.

Pros:
    1. Fabulous Japanese build quality for the price, pretty light in the hand and very rugged, exactly like the Q550
    2. Easy quick-swap battery (- why don't other, much more expensive machines like my Samsung S7S offer this??)
    3. All day plus battery life
    4. Twice the CPU performance of the Q550's Z670 - Z690 = great business productivity
    5. GPU allows HD Flash video playback without bringing the entire system to a halt = can present video over HDMI in a meeting without embarassment
    6. A first for me: The Q552 N-Trig system is great! Dead-on pen accuracy everywhere, including the screen edges, out of the box, no calibration required. Great pressure sensitivity. No lag. Absolutely no skipping and vectoring anywhere on the screen, and that is with simultaneous multitouch and pen enabled. I am left-handed to boot.
    7. No cooling fan, therefore no dust or moving parts to send the Q552 to an early grave.
    8. Much improved construction quality on the N-trig pen: Less noise on the screen, and a one-piece rounded tailcap with a hole for the tether loop. Better than my Flyer pen.
    9. Absolutely flies on Windows 8 Enterprise! Just waiting with fingers crossed for a proper Win 8 GMA 3600 video driver. With Intel, who knows. See cons.

Cons:
    1. The Q552 can get a little warm after extended use.
    2. Although much quieter, pen still makes a little noise when writing and still needs a AAAA battery
    3. No pen silo.
    4. The usual Intel disaster when it comes to 3rd-party graphics solutions! Although the GMA 3600 works adequately under Windows 7, we all know what amazing performance it can deliver in Apple's hands (try the latest FPS games on an iPad 3 with the same chip and you can see what I mean). Come on Intel, I would be happy with just half the performance this chip can provide on the weaker Arm Cortex (!) CPU platform.

Summary:
    Although I am interested and will likely end up with a Surface Pro later this year (cooling fan, sealed in battery and all) I believe this is a keeper for me - best currently available *business* tool for the price!

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. billydog72

billydog72 Pen Pal - Newbie

tempted!!!!

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Do you know which version of the N-trig hardware the Q552 employs? Is it N-trig 3.5 or the new 4.0?

6. dceggert

It is still v3.5 with the battery in the pen. If the pen is better (have not seen the pen for sale in the accessories yet) then I may pick one up for my Q550.

7. dceggert

Thanks! Nice comparison review. If you use your device(s) in portrait mode like a sheet of paper I would like to see your opinion on using the Q552 vs. the Surface with 16:9 when you get the opportunity to try one on for size.

As for the lack of a pen silo, the used Q550 I bought for my son as a carry everywhere device to replace the 2730P came with a pen loop stuck to the case. He still uses the pen loop all the time and has not lost the pen yet (unlike me where I misplace it all the time).

As a side note, for those that think the Q550 is 'junk' my son told me last week that it is the best TabletPC he has ever used and will not get rid of it unless the new one is exactly like it. This is quite an endorsement given he has used my TC1100 for two years, my LS800 for about 3 months (he hated it), and the 2730P for two years. He is on the Q550 for about 8 months now and uses it every day for work and school.

8. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does Windows 8 work well on the Q552?

9. thefirstone

thefirstone Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my q552 for a couple of months now and I like it a lot. I needed the swappable battery because I spend long periods of time caring for a family member and I don't want to use the tablet plugged in. I have two spare batteries so I'm always ready. Most other tablets don't have swappable batteries except for Dell's Latitude 10, but Dell's batteries are way to expensive and I managed to get two batteries for my q552 for $60 on ebay. As far as it not having a slot to store the digitizer pen I'm waiting for a folio case that does have a slot for the pen. No biggie there. The GPU driver from Intel doesn't support Windows 8 but I'm more than happy with Windows 7. It works fine. I have an Android tablet and I got tired of having to convert some videos to be able to play them. Also the internet browsers crashed too much on Android. Windows does everything I need without hassle. I bought my 552 on ebay for about $550.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Just picked up a refurbished Q552 from the Fuji Ebay store. It should be here early next week. The first thing I'll need is a folio. Any recommendations? It looks like Fuji has a few different styles. Favorties? Any aftermarket brands to recommend?

Looks like Intel still has no W8 graphics driver for the N2600's GPU. I can live with W7 on the Q552 for now, optimized like I have it for the Slate.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013