Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Is there a restore partition? I cannot remember...

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Have you tried a USB hub?

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I actually just went to Radio Shack and got a USB hub, so we'll see if that solves it. BUT ...

Yes, there is an F drive that is OEM reserved and has about 7-8 GB of stuff on it. But I can't normally view it. Might this be the "Restore" option? If so, how do I activate it?

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Generally you reboot and hold down a button during start up to get to the boot options screen. One of the options should be the recovery menu. I think it may be the keyboard button.

5. Steve B

Haven't been in this thread in a while, but I wanted to say that I'm most likely moving on from the q552, and I thought it might be helpful to note what I've chosen as its replacement. The TT2 isn't perfect, but it answers a number of my issues with the q552, and the only thing I'm giving up is a move from 16:10 to 16:9, which I find reasonable given the benefits.

I recently picked up a used Thinkpad Tablet 2, and am surprisingly happy with the choice. I wrote up a review of sorts here in the Outdoor Viewability thread, going over how I'm using it for field work, with pics. In a gist though- build quality is good, and the screen is bright enough for me for outdoor work, and with the q552's sp on it reflections are nullified; fantastic touch experience and Wacom (!!!!) pen with silo is great, even if it is tiny; love 4g for mobile tablet use; Win 8.1 on a tablet is great for mobile use , IMO.

I'm gonna slap a Griffin Survivor case on it, and with that I think I'll end up with a cheap, Wacom, touch enabled, outdoor viewable, rugged Win 8.1 tablet with 4g. That's a win for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have to admit Steve that the anemic performance of the N2600 Atom and being limited to Windows 7 is getting old. I'm ready for an upgrade. I don't think I could live with a Cedar Trail knowing how well Bay Trial atoms are performing. Looks like I'll try the Asus Note 8 for now until I can pick up the Q584 from the outlet. As I sit here, I think that's the unit I want to ultimately replace my Q552.

7. Steve B

While I would never suggest you shouldn't get the q584 (hee hee!!), I will say that the comparative performance of the TT2 versus the q552 is pretty amazingly better. I don't think it really has to do with the power of the cpu though, and has more to do with the OS optimizations. The UI lags some when switching or opening programs sometimes (as in, perhaps a 2-5 second lag), and then other times its really as snappy as I could really want. I find it quite usable-- and I mean that as a functionality statement, as in, so far it works and does what it should with ease, not just that it's better than the q552 (which it also is).

I will say that touch is fantastically more responsive, largely because of Win 8.1 I would suppose (??). It's very very easy to navigate, pan, tap, open, etc. And the Wacom pen works just like you would imagine it should. With the Fuji sp, it's been very good outdoors. Surprisingly good.

I'm sure the q584 is a substantially better product (and its rugged!), but for the price (350-450$) I've been very pleased with this device and the stability of the current drivers that are provided for it with Win 8.1. I've come to decide that almost all tablets and laptops are "inbetweeners", except for those rare few that really last a few years. For me, this device will be more than adequate for that purpose, particularly considering the fact that I've already been doing so much on the comparatively anemic q552.

If you decide you don't feel like waiting anymore, I'd say give it a try as a "for now" device. You may be pleasantly surprised, but, at the least, it should perform better than the q552 in almost all of the categories that matter to me-- barring the 16:9 aspect ratio and the lack of a rugged build (remedied by a Griffin Survivor case).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. drexegar

drexegar Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everybody! I'm very late to the game, but my first atom experience was the NB255 (I still have it in perfect condintion) from Toshiba which is one core 1.66 ghz with 512 kb of cache.

I'm a power user, and I hack and cut every piece of ultimate win7 (removed unwanted services and start up programs, wrecked the registry, dismantle the action center, etc.) used a custom black win 7 basic theme and I also bought some kind of device from korea that shoots a field over my screen to be used with a pen.

Its hella responsive to drawing, but there is a difference you can see in heavy task like a photoshop filters loading soundcloud music and such.

I also have a fujistu t2020 (wacom penebled and 3MB cache Intel core duo) and a Fujitsu stylistic android tablet with tegra 3.

So I order the last refurbished Q552 from techforless and it comes this wednesday, I hope to hack the win 7 up, throw in an xfce brand linux distro (I already have cedar trail ppa codes in hand) and see what happens. I want to use it for animation and the love luxury of no fan, solid state drive, a good battery life, and military build quality. Mostly for linux, it really is a lightweight system and the wacom drivers are as smooth as windows 8, I hope linux supports N-trig. So I expect less performance than a T2020 but more performance than the atom N455 cpu and a nice feeling of holding a tablet with no keyboard.

Will post results when that day comes.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Other than the constraints of the N2600, this tablet has performed admirably over the last year. It will do most of what you're looking for very well.

10. drexegar

drexegar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply! I really looking froward to it and hope the N2600 shows a big step from the N455.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.