Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Is the N2600's GMA 3600 supported in 8.1? It wasn't in 8.0. That's why no upgrade. I would think that the W8 beta N-Trig driver (still beta is really lame BTW, a year after W8's release) should work with 8.1. No?

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Wi-Fi and confusing is that people who have the Q550 have been running it with Windows 8 for a long time now. Of course, I know that it's not fully supported, but things seem to be working quite well in it. Is the Q552 somehow different? What does having the graphic driver unsupported mean, functionally? The people who are running Windows 8 on the Q550 must also have a unsupported graphics driver, correct? If so, what is that they are giving up because the driver is unsupported? My presumption is that something wasn't running smoothly for you when you tried it out, and therefore you reverted. Correct?

3. Bronsky

Metro programs crash without the proper graphics driver for the GMA3600. At least they did when I tried W8. It's a fairly big deal and discussed quite a bit on forums where people bought N2600 netbooks a month or so before W8 was released. Intel refused to support the N2600 Atom but provided a driver for the Clover Trial that had the same basic graphics engine. I have seen an N2600 Atom tablet with W8 so I was wondering if the problem was ever resolved. Is there a "graphics card supported" page for 8.1?

4. Steve B

Ah, I will check into the potential support. From reading over the "q550 w/ Win 8" thread, it's clear that Modern apps were never completely supported. The suggestion there was a way to run the metro apps through your desktop. Stardock perhaps? And that this worked well. Perhaps that's the major compromise???

edit-
    Its Stardock ModernMix, which lets you open your Modern apps in windows in your desktop, pin them to your taskbar, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Steve B

OK, so now that Win 8.1 lets you boot to your desktop, and it lets you have a Start Button, and ModerMix lets you run Modern apps from your desktop so you can use some of these touch-enabled apps..... I guess I'm sorta curious about really trying it out.

6. Steve B

Bronsky,
    I found this youtube video on running the GMA 3600 with Win8-- he has some method he's using, and it seemed like he could run Metro apps from the Start Screen. Can you take a look at this and see if its something that makes sense for our machine? From what I can tell, it seems like he's somehow got it working. He gives some input on it in the comments.

He seems to somehow be installing the Win7 driver, altering screen res, and then disabling it. He clearly launches Explorer from the Metro interface, but I'm now wondering if it's just the normal desktop Explorer that he's using..... Looking at the video though, I see the tell tale url bar on the bottom, which I think is a Metro UI element for Explorer, yes?

edit- then he clealry starts up and runs a Metro game. yes?

Honestly, I'm probably going to just try it all and see what happens. Why not? I've got the $ at the moment and am curious. I'm clearly getting the vibe that its some sort of hack, but there's not a lot of info available on it. I wish there was somewhere where I could just try a trial/ non-verified version of Win8 out without buying it to see if it was worth it or if it worked. Is there?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Steve B

Alright folks. I just downloaded the 8.1 upgrade. Did it right from the computer, no DVD. Easiest install ever. And......

IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

So far, the only oddball thing is that it wants to run at 1024 x 768 only, so it's clearly not recognizing or using the GMA3600 on some level. But honestly, for me, the truth is that I was magnifying things to that level anyways while I was using it in Win7. So it all just looks "normal" to me. But I'm running Metro apps fine. Just loaded up the Mail app, and it's very nice. Downloaded "Where's My Water 2? for my daughter, and she's now happily playing around on my 300$ alternative to an iPad that has a pen, is drop proof, and has a nice outdoor-viewable screen. IMO, touch is amazingly more responsive in Win8 than it was in Win7. I can actually browse now. Desktop looks nice too. I'm going to play around and figure out what's quirky and not working.

I'm sure there must be updates of some sort to do, but this was absolutely the easiest thing ever. I was concerned, but I pretty much just plugged it in, started the update, went away for an hour, came back and typed my stuff in . I'm unsure if things are working great for me because I didn't do a clean install from a DVD, or whether that wouldn't matter at all. This seemed like a clean install to me though-- there's none of my docs or programs on it anymore (I chose it that way).

OK. I'm off to explore! :) Yippee!

edit-

Metro Explorer--
    I'm not sure how it normally works, but in the Metro Explorer app, no pinch to zoom OOB. Scrolling is super smooth though, and you double tap to zoom in and out.

Desktop Sketchbook Pro-
    Palm Rejection and Pressure Sensitivity work OOB, but no pinch to zoom there either. I think this is a known problem though.

Oh, Weather App-
    It asked me for my location. I said yes, and it then knew where I was. Do you think this is from my MS account that I used to sign in, or does the q552 have a GPS unit?

Edit 2-

Brightness- stuck at max. Not a big problem, but there. There are times indoor when I wish it was dimmer. Probably just a driver issue.

Sketchbook pro-I find pen input far smoother and more responsive than in Windows 7.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. Steve B

Ok, after some exploration and experimentation, the gist is this--

If you want to run Win8.1 on your q552 you'll need to use the basic Display Driver that Windows provides. As others have described in the past, if you install the Intel GMA 3600 drivers the desktop runs fine, the Metro interface looks fine, but the Metro apps themselves crash. This is still the case, as it ever was. However, if you're fine running the basic drivers the good news is that Win 8.1 is now very friendly at that lower res-- all the apps run fine, split screen, 1/2 screen, etc. whatever runs great. It's a very smooth and impressively responsive experience.

There are definitely trade offs, but for my usage case they're all acceptable so far. None impair my usage patterns. So I'm so far only really receiving the benefits-

Good-
    improvement in touch responsiveness-- an impressive upgrade, IMO... very smooth touch input for navigation
    quick boot (20 secs)
    functional touch-ready Metro apps to use-- browsing is waaaaay better, I like the Mail app, am exploring the Calendar, etc.
    onscreen keyboard is a million times better
    browsing is a million times better
    games and entertainment is available for the device to do double duty with other members of my familiy

Bad-
    No sleep mode-- only hibernate or on/off (though this is gently remedied as Win8 is so quick w/ everything)
    No brightness shift-- only full brightness (which is basically where I always keep it anyways). So, no reading in bed at night!
    Have to use 1024 x 768-- which is basically where I was scaling to anyways, but I'm ol' school like that on a little 10.1" device
    TIP is much harder to use for extended input (though I've never cared for it personally, and use the pen more for written notes and sketching)
    No Touch Flicks like in Win7- this is a legit complaint, and I wish they were there, but the thing I used it for the most was the Taskbar. What's nice is that Metro apps "hide" the taskbar, so you optimize all of the room available for whatever app you're actually using anyways. Of course, desktop apps lose that bit of space, so it's not perfect.

The Questions-
    I really like how smooth pen input is right now using just the basic Windows drivers for pen and touch input. I don't have the Ntrig drivers installed yet. Sadly, this is why I think I have no pinch to zoom. I have yet to download the N-trig drivers though, so I'll report back on that after I try them out. In short though, so far I find touch and pen input nice. Palm rejection works well too. I'm not sure yet about OneNote yet though, as I've not installed it.

Button Rotation-- I can't figure out which driver to use to enable this. There are a few available, but I've not had luck yet with it. This is the one real hitch in my plans, as I find Portrait very functional.

....So far, I'm very impressed, and think I can easily handle the "bad" elements of moving this unsupported device into Win8. As was often the case with old tech that was upgraded to Win7, it breathes new life into the device, that's for sure. I can finally really see using this to remotely...
    -browse, do mobile research with Touch
    -check mail for multiple accounts easily with Touch
    -use a calendar with Touch
    -play games with my daughter
    -do all the stuff I was already doing- sketch, run OneNote and use a pen, run Dropbox, Quickbooks, etc.

dceggert likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Thanks Steve. Saved me from trying 8.1. Everything works so perfectly in W7 that I'm not tempted to go to W8. If the GMA 3600 was supported and Metro would work, I'd give it a try. Waitin' on the Q584.

10. Steve B

So, in a desire to revert to a simpler time when all my electronic devices simply worked the way they were supposed to, I'm trying to reinstall Win7. This is incredibly frustrating. How can this be done on the q550/2? There's only one USB port, so I can't attach a external HDD and a mouse/keyboard to run the install. And for some reason the touch screen is non-responsive during the installation process (both for pen and touch input)-- it only takes input from a mouse. I am totally at a loss.

Has anyone else done this? I installed Win8.1 from a download, and so didn't consider this issue with the device. I'm considering selling it, or at the very least using it every day again, but would like to get it back to Win7 to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.