Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oh, it does what it does well. I'm just trying to stretch the functionality some. I would love to have a field device for work that also functioned as a good mobile sketching tool.

2. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

In control panel there is an N-trig something that allows setting to dual mode and calibration but no "auto" mode. It doesn't seem to have any kind of "palm rejection" when using the pen.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Is that in Windows 8? I don't think there is an Auto mode in W8 yet. Mine has dual, pen only and auto mode in W7. I think the W8 drivers on the N-Trig site are technically beta versions.:rolleyes:

4. tabletdummy

No it's W7. and I may have downloaded it from N-Trig or Fujitsu since I got 2 Q702's and one has it and the other doesn't. But no auto mode. Maybe I should google for N-Trig console?

5. Bronsky

I think some 702s had a newer version of the NTrig software that eliminated the "auto" function. You may want to ask dceggert. he's the one that I discussed this with before.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  6. tabletdummy

Is there a program to use the GPS feature or is the so called "GPS" just using cell towers not real GPS?

7. Steve B

I was doing a lot of writing this morning in Onenote on my q552, and I was just reminded what a great machine it is in so many ways. Yes, it has issues-- I still find the cpu a bit slow, the inking vectors a bit, and I personally wish we had a functioning set of Win8 drivers for better touch capability. Most of all, I wish it had a true detachable keyboard. Still, I really like the matte Fuji screen protector, the 16:10 screen, its brightness, the build quality and mil specs, etc. I never fear taking it outside and dropping it, or handing it to my daughter, and yet it's light and thin enough for me. Although programs open slow as molasses, once you get there, for example, Office runs fine, even on Power Saver. I get 4 hours on full brightness and High Performance, and somewhere around 6 on Power Saver.

With Bay Trail and the new Ntrig digitizer and pen, this would be a pretty good device, and all those other funny little things I'd like to do on it (like use it as a sketching device, or watch movies or play a game with my daughter while vegging out) would finally be achievable. Give us a q554 with the same ol' 400 nit 16:10 screen, durable build, and replaceable battery we currently have, and just refresh it with a new, real keyboard dock, and this would be a fantastic field device that could really double as a portable, netbook-style primary computer for a lot of people.

As it is, it does what it does well, but is only a secondary device at best.

Bronsky and bloodycape like this.
  8. Bronsky

I feel much the same about mine. I bought it only as an interim device and it has done yeoman service for me the last 7 months. It's been my only travel device, with my Thinkpad X301 never leaving my desk at work. The non-glare display is incredible and bright. 16:10 is a far better aspect ratio than 16:9. Build quality and durability has been superb. I take it everywhere. I spent quite a bit of time outside with it and never had an issue seeing the display. It has a few weaknesses. I still am not sold on N-Trig pens. I've used mine everyday for the entire 7 months and only recently have I had any issues. I do, however, think that the mechanism will still wear out, albeit slower, but it will still wear. It has been getting hotter on the left hand side lately. The Atom is clearly an improvement over the single core, but it's time to upgrade to a Haswell.;) I was considering giving it to my daughter but I think I'll get her an 8" tablet. Hopefully the Dell will turn out to have a decent pen. Otherwise, I'm looking at the Lenovo Mix for her. I'll probably keep this Q552 as a field notebook and restore its dream of being a chart plotter for my sailboat. For my primary tablet, I'm leaning toward the SP2 and Galaxy Note 3 combination.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. Steve B

I agree about the pen. That, and the fact that I find the touch experience pretty mediocre at best are my two biggest gripes. I'm looking forward to some sort of Win8 device to try Touch out for recreational use. As for the pen, I will say that Ntrig improved after this, as seen in devices like the Duo 11 and Taichi, and then improved again with newer devices like the Duo 13. So, presumably, if this device gets refreshed, we'd see not only a faster Bay Trail cpu running Win 8.1, which would mean a waaay better Touch experience, but we'd also get a much better pen and digitizer experience. It saddens me how smooth writing and drawing is on my ancient le1600, and yet this much newer device can't really compare to it on that level.

Still, I'm not yet sold on Ntrig and Win8-- I should check in with more current users, but is there still this issue with not being able to switch smoothly and quickly between Touch and Pen input in Win 8? That's bonkers if true. I saw the new Dell 11 Pro too-- it looks wonderful, but I'm incredibly leery of any new pen tech. In the end, it's sad but true-- Wacom is still the best for a responsive feeling. If I can move between Touch and Pen in Win 8 though, that might be an even bigger deal for me, with Ntrig-- mostly because I like how accurate it is. That's more important than ever on these smaller, skinnier devices. On the q552 I can literally write right up the edge. That's not only cool; it's also really functional.

10. Steve B

Anyone yet tried updating this to Windows 8.1? I'm curious. I remember there were some issues with pen input in Windows 8? or was it the Ntrig driver? Can anyone reiterate the issue? OR if you have updated, let us know how its going.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.